turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Social media lazyness

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 08, 2022, 05:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

Yup Shannon, my buddy and I often park one truck and leave it in a non hunting area. The next day we'll leave the other vehicle. Still if they want they can figure it out. Of course most of my hunting is done behind locked gates and my truck is out of site.

Burney Mac

Unfortunately the free loading everyone gets a trophy mindset is a societal problem.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Spitten and drummen

Yeah. In my opinion its mostly Liberals that want the info handed to them on a platter.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

SD_smith

Personally I don't understand why Trump got some much bull over quid pro quo....maybe we think alike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 10, 2022, 07:07:25 PM
Yeah. In my opinion its mostly Liberals that want the info handed to them on a platter.
tell us how you really feel!

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

arkrem870

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2022, 06:03:28 PM
All I know is when I starred hunting turkeys in the late 70s , you told no one anything. The old timers taught me this. When I was 13 hunting some public land , I had found a good gobbling bird. I was not experienced and was self taught. I fooled with him on a Saturday and sunday and could not kill him. I qas waiting on my dad at the beginning of an old logging when a guy pulled up. He was from Arkansas and he asked me if I had any luck. I told him no but I had a bird I had been fooling with. I was exited telling him about my encounter. The following Saturday I was where I had worked the bird the previous weekend at daylight waiting on the bird to gobble but he never did. I eased into the creekbottom to a tree I had set up at the previous weekend. I sat down against the tree and looked down. A fresh12 gauge hull with a feather stuck in it told me all I needed to know. I learned a lifelong lesson right then and there.

That made my heart smile

arkrem870

For people that are monetizing public turkeys .....the more hunters = more views = more money. Vicious cycle of monetizing something more precious than gold

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 08, 2022, 05:36:11 PM
Just a quick post to point out something that just makes me shake my head and say wow. People jump on facebook and internet forums asking is such and such place a good place to turkey hunt or can someone point me in a direction in such and such place where I can get on birds. It amazes me that people ask this question and what amazes me more are the few people who divulge the information. Im not greedy with my hunting but I close guard my secretes of bird locations or areas that hold birds mainly because I put the work , effort , time and money into finding my own areas. Its like people want you to do all the work and then give them the info. When you point this out to them , they are offended. Blows my mind. If you want to know if birds are there , put your boots on the ground and find out yourself. Google locations and get to work. Quit asking for information and find it for yourself. Sorry , just had to rant a little.

Amen. Hard to trust anyone when it comes to turkey hunting. I tried for years to help others with both turkeys and deer hunting and only got burned and even lost some friends while trying to help others (found out some of the folks I was trying to help really were not my friends). I think the real eye opener for me was when I went to hunt a long time favorite spot of mine one morning and had a couple of guys I had previously taking hunting literally try run me off the ridge and I was there a half an hour ahead of them. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

eggshell

I was reading the new post and started thinking about all the threads related to common courtesy and good will. I would guess 30% of all post on OGF are related to dealing with hunters not people. Some of the longest discussions are about ethics. Whether it's a technique of hunting or personal interaction. Turkey hunting is a reflection of our society, people will bring their same mind-set from the world into the turkey woods. One of the draws to hunting is to escape life's crap storm, but instead we chain it to our ankles and drag it along with us hunting. This isn't always true and certainly some accomplish it better than others.

Here is the bottom line; our hunting experience and life experience are tied together and not until we do better in life will we do better in our recreational pursuits. Why we insist on acting like rats is because we fail to exercise control over our animal nature. You see a few rats will eat and flourish together until competition from over population sets in. Then they become violent and attach each other, even killing and eating their own.

We were created above this. We were given larger brains and souls to think through our instincts and be above simply acting on emotional natures. Now some here will disagree with me, but I mean no offense towards them. I am a Christian man and try very hard to build my life on Christ centered principles. Jesus himself said the second greatest commandment was, "Love your neighbor as yourself". He said, "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Now, I can assure you that many people do not share these philosophies and they will absolutely do the opposite. That is not an excuse to act poorly ourselves. Be better and set an example. Sure it will cost you something and the evil minded will try and run rough shod over you, but eventually those too will fade away when more adopt the principles of simple kindness and love. Set the example and openly engage people to do better (meeting at a gate is not the time to do this) and change just one mind. Like the old saying if everyone reaches one then all will be changed. We don't want to move on from that spot because we are selfish too and don't want to loose "our chance at that turkey". I am also a firm believer in you reap what you sow.

In ending maybe it is time to stop bitching and just be better people. I am first to point the finger right back at myself. So it's not a hunting issue, it's a moral issue.

Happy

I can agree with you to a point eggshell. I am all for helping out others and being kind. However I save that for people who share the same sentiments that I do and are willing to put in some effort as well. My days of enabling those that are too lazy to put in any effort are done. And that doesn't just pertain to turkey hunting. The trend of people trying to get every handout that they can for zero effort has become more and more popular and I don't feel that that is good for society in general. Our government seems to feel the opposite of what I do though. I try my best to avoid such people but occasionally I have to tell a few to take a hike. I don't hate them but I hope they learn some lessons down the road and become more self reliant. Getting back to turkey hunting, my thoughts are that if you really care about it then you will be motivated to do your work and have plenty of options. Any pointers and tips are a bonus. If you are willing to put your odds of success in the hands of other then do you really care that much?

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Oh I don't think we disagree that much Happy. That's why I said you don't engage them at a gate or in the field. It's a mind set that starts in coffee shops, camps, work, forums and more. When I said you reap what you sow that also means, if you don't work you don't eat. I too detest laziness, but I will help someone who is putting effort in. Mostly what I meant is we don't need to be combative and poor sports. Sometimes we just let them have the spot and move on. I'm not posting any GPS coordinates here or anywhere, just like I am not posting a sign on my house, "Take what you want". Even scripture tells us have nothing to do with the immoral and dishonest people of the world. These lazy social media location poachers are just thieves by another name.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Happy on March 12, 2022, 08:31:45 AM
I can agree with you to a point eggshell. I am all for helping out others and being kind. However I save that for people who share the same sentiments that I do and are willing to put in some effort as well. My days of enabling those that are too lazy to put in any effort are done. And that doesn't just pertain to turkey hunting. The trend of people trying to get every handout that they can for zero effort has become more and more popular and I don't feel that that is good for society in general. Our government seems to feel the opposite of what I do though. I try my best to avoid such people but occasionally I have to tell a few to take a hike. I don't hate them but I hope they learn some lessons down the road and become more self reliant. Getting back to turkey hunting, my thoughts are that if you really care about it then you will be motivated to do your work and have plenty of options. Any pointers and tips are a bonus. If you are willing to put your odds of success in the hands of other then do you really care that much?

Well said Happy. I agree 100 percent.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE