OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Red Dot Sight / Batteries

Started by Greg Massey, March 04, 2022, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Do you change out your batteries before spring season each year? Also do you carry spare ones with while hunting or just keep couple extra ones in the truck or whatever? Also what about this scenario, you haven't change out your battery in your Burris FF3 in few years and your out turkey hunting and couple of miles or more from your truck and your red dot has no red dot. TURKEY IS GOBBLING ...You do have extra battery, but you don't have a screwdriver with you, what you going to do now, it's enough trouble to try and replace the battery at home in this red dot? So are you going to have some kind of leatherman tool on your side or carry a screwdriver ?

Tom007

Yes, yes. Don't want a gobbler to walk from a blank screen in my optic. Good post Greg. Can't wait to hear the responses....

Tom007

I also shot my Red Dots turned off at the range centering gobbler head in the Lense. Hits close enough to kill one at 25 yards....

Yoder409

Even though a battery would likely last me 10 years.........they're cheap.  I change mine before each season AND carry an extra in my belt pack.

Also............by changing the battery every spring, you eliminate the chance of having a bum battery leak and corrode the compartment and contacts.

There's enough things to go wrong on a turkey hunt that I can't control............... Battery failure doesn't need to be one of them.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Master Gobbie

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 04, 2022, 11:00:29 AM
Even though a battery would likely last me 10 years.........they're cheap.  I change mine before each season AND carry an extra in my belt pack.

Also............by changing the battery every spring, you eliminate the chance of having a bum battery leak and corrode the compartment and contacts.

There's enough things to go wrong on a turkey hunt that I can't control............... Battery failure doesn't need to be one of them.

Nuff said right there, good advice!
Proverbs  3: 5-6

Tom007

Great point, I take them out for the same corrosion reason. They go in April first, come out and get recycled May 31st......

randy6471

Me too!

guesswho

I change them every year, and also take out during the off-season.  I carry a spare in my cheekpad, it has a zippered pouch for watts shells, calls etc.   With my Holosun sight sight I still carry a spare in my cheekpad but it really isn't necessary since it has a built in solar panel on top.   So it will work during the day even without a battery.   Mini screwdriver stays in the cheekpad.   If you don't use one of these cheekpads, I highly recommend them. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

I've added scenario to the post ..

northms

Yes and yes. I likely don't need to change them even close to every year but I do. And try to keep one in the vest as well. I ordered a pack of 5-10 from Amazon dirt cheap and have them stored up in a cool dry place.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

battery gets changed in each red dot prior the season that is if I didn't remove it at the end of last seaon.

1 or 2 spare batteries are always in my vest as well is a Leatherman multi tool. I have needed the multi tool for various other things while hunting but a gun hasn't been one so far.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 04, 2022, 10:53:36 AM
Do you change out your batteries before spring season each year? Also do you carry spare ones with while hunting or just keep couple extra ones in the truck or whatever? Also what about this scenario, you haven't change out your battery in your Burris FF3 in few years and your out turkey hunting and couple of miles or more from your truck and your red dot has no red dot. TURKEY IS GOBBLING ...You do have extra battery, but you don't have a screwdriver with you, what you going to do now, it's enough trouble to try and replace the battery at home in this red dot? So are you going to have some kind of leatherman tool on your side or carry a screwdriver ?

Have a mini leather man tool. Takes caps off all my Optics. Battery changed...

boatpaddle

No sense in screwing up a hunt by not pulling maintenance on your red dot...

Fresh battery at the range, when I check zero. It gets pulled till the night before the season starts.

I carry a 2 pack of fresh batteries with a dime taped to the back of the pack, just in case..

They are put in a water proof draw sting bag with fresh sand paper, chalk, & other assorted turkey related items...

End of season, the battery comes out & gets tossed...

I learned a valuable lesson about leaving batteries in flashlights.

Done hunting,  almost dark & a non working corroded mini mag...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

OJR

I change them each Spring.

And as for the scenario... I would have what I needed to change it and do it as quickly as I could or, if there's not time. Let him get as close as you can get him, as close as you feel comfortable doing this, center his noggin/waddles in the sight window and "BANG"

My mount lets me still use my iron sights too. So, that's what I'd do.

Treerooster

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2022, 11:13:46 AM
I change them every year, and also take out during the off-season.  I carry a spare in my cheekpad, it has a zippered pouch for watts shells, calls etc.   With my Holosun sight sight I still carry a spare in my cheekpad but it really isn't necessary since it has a built in solar panel on top.   So it will work during the day even without a battery.   Mini screwdriver stays in the cheekpad.   If you don't use one of these cheekpads, I highly recommend them. 
https://flic.kr/p/224GSau

It's good you provided the link...I was wondering which cheek pad you were referring to.

I have a Tinicon Reflex sight on my Encore. No batteries and no on/off. It's always on. Bought it used and had it for over 10 years. Still going but I think it is supposed to run out in the next year or 2. They say it fades gradually so I should have plenty of warning. That dot sight has spoiled me tho.