turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red Dot Sight / Batteries

Started by Greg Massey, March 04, 2022, 10:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uarobert

New battery every year. Take no chances.

Jimspur

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 04, 2022, 10:53:36 AM
Do you change out your batteries before spring season each year? Also do you carry spare ones with while hunting or just keep couple extra ones in the truck or whatever? Also what about this scenario, you haven't change out your battery in your Burris FF3 in few years and your out turkey hunting and couple of miles or more from your truck and your red dot has no red dot. TURKEY IS GOBBLING ...You do have extra battery, but you don't have a screwdriver with you, what you going to do now, it's enough trouble to try and replace the battery at home in this red dot? So are you going to have some kind of leatherman tool on your side or carry a screwdriver ?

It says in the Burris manual, "If the battery life falls below the limit of 4 hours, the light dot will begin to blink twice every 5 seconds".
I haven't tested this feature yet. Has anyone ever seen their dot blinking?

WildTigerTrout

I put a new battery in each year before the season starts and carry an extra in my vest.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Muzzy61

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 04, 2022, 11:00:29 AM
Even though a battery would likely last me 10 years.........they're cheap.  I change mine before each season AND carry an extra in my belt pack.

Also............by changing the battery every spring, you eliminate the chance of having a bum battery leak and corrode the compartment and contacts.

There's enough things to go wrong on a turkey hunt that I can't control............... Battery failure doesn't need to be one of them.

^^^^^
This
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RiverRoost

You don't have to rezero when you change them correct?

bbcoach

Bushnell states 50,000 hours at a setting of 5.  As for me, I take mine out at the end of the spring season and toss it and put a new one in just before the start of the next spring season.  My reasons are 1. I don't won't a battery corroding in my red dot during the off season and damaging it 2. Brand new CR 2032 battery to start a season is GOOD CHEAP insurance in my book.

WV Flopper

New batteries every spring.

The M2 has a battery and a screw driver tip wrapped in a paper towel inside the buttstock. It's hollow between the recoil pad and stock, big enough to carry this anyway.

Mossberg90MN

I change my battery before the season and I also change it out every couple weeks for good measure. Sometimes even once a week.

I also carry some extra batteries in the truck and 1 in the vest with a little screwdriver.

In the case that lets say you are 2 miles from the truck and within range of a gobbling bird that's interested.

It comes down to the person... you can choose to let it be and walk back to the truck.

Or.... You can wait for that bird to get to 20 yards, get a good cheek weld on that thing and hope it all works.

Or you can leave the front bead and take the sight off of you need to.

For the most part as they say, those batteries last a long time and as long as you change it out before the season... you should be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 04, 2022, 04:19:28 PM
New batteries every spring.

The M2 has a battery and a screw driver tip wrapped in a paper towel inside the buttstock. It's hollow between the recoil pad and stock, big enough to carry this anyway.
Thanks for sharing , good idea ...

SM

Quote from: guesswho on March 04, 2022, 11:13:46 AM
I change them every year, and also take out during the off-season.  I carry a spare in my cheekpad, it has a zippered pouch for watts shells, calls etc.   With my Holosun sight sight I still carry a spare in my cheekpad but it really isn't necessary since it has a built in solar panel on top.   So it will work during the day even without a battery.   Mini screwdriver stays in the cheekpad.   If you don't use one of these cheekpads, I highly recommend them. 

I need one of those cheek pads ,where did you get it ?

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

briton

Yes change them out each season. I was working a bird last year and my battery went dead. I was able to swap it out with a battery in my key fob, that I luckily had in my pocket, right quick before he came in range. It's a cheap battery to avoid a costly situation.

jmart241

Change every year and carry a extra have to try it turned off

WV Flopper

Factory stock on the M2 will allow the same.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

Number17

My batteries stay installed in the sight all year long and I've had the same batteries in the FF2 on my 870 for at least 5 years.
One year I pulled my gun out of the cabinet to get ready for the season and noticed that I had left the FF2 on for an entire year in the cabinet. It was about 50% dim from what I remembered so I decided to change the battery. The fresh batteries were quite a bit brighter.
From that experience, I'm never worried about my batteries suddenly dying on me.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls