turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting knives

Started by Zobo, February 19, 2022, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

Interested in what kind of knife you guys carry while turkey hunting. I got a Hogue Deka folder at the beginning of last season. I like it because its lightweight, sturdy and the camo scales are very grippy. On the negative side if I drop it I'll probably never find it but I still like it.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

rakkin6

Same one has I do for deer, Havalon Piranta. Say what you want but those things are razor sharp. I do carry a back up Case Trapper knife also. I believe in the motto 2 is 1 and 1 is none lol.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Wvdanimal

Switch the Buck model 110 from deer pack to turkey vest. Best all around knife ever made in my opinion.

ChesterCopperpot

Buddy made me that one. Horizontal sheath so it rides right when you're sitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I usually have a Kabar folder in my pocket but it's usually the backup.  A Havalon works well and this year I'll have my Morakniv in the truck.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

HillclimberWV

Carry a camillus #3 ive had for years in my vest. Similar to a buck 110 but smaller and thinner. Its razor sharp but honestly the mora knife i keep in the truck sees most of the duty.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Zobo

Also like the traditional Case trapper with gobbler etched into the bone handle

Greg Massey

I carry one of those big Bowie knife's like Jim Bowie and a machete for backup...  :TooFunny:     Just a small 3 blade pocket knife ... I don't get all excited about carrying knives during turkey season. I always keep buck 110 in the truck console , box of zip loc bags,box of garbage bags and extra snacks and water... toilet paper etc... LOL...

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 19, 2022, 11:47:52 PM
I carry one of those big Bowie knife's like Jim Bowie and a machete for backup...  :TooFunny:     Just a small 3 blade pocket knife ... I don't get all excited about carrying knives during turkey season. I always keep buck 110 in the truck console , box of zip loc bags,box of garbage bags and extra snacks and water... toilet paper etc... LOL...

You know, come to think of it, a machete might not be a bad idea for some of the terrain I find myself in occasionally, lol!

bear hunter

A 2 dollar ozark trail I am bad to lose knives but cant seem to lose the 2 dollar knife.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 19, 2022, 11:47:52 PM
...I don't get all excited about carrying knives during turkey season...
Oddly enough, Greg, I think turkey season is when I get most excited about carrying different knives and I think maybe it's because it requires so little knifework that you can carry about anything. With big game it's always a lot more utilitarian. Usually an Outdoor Edge Swingblade and a boning knife, nothing real special or pretty about either. They just flat work and make life easy. Turkey season, though, that's a chance to break out the goods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which Gun

Gerber Gator folder in sheath

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Zobo on February 19, 2022, 11:33:36 PM
Also like the traditional Case trapper with gobbler etched into the bone handle

Thats an awesome knife. Hard to beat an old Case plus the art work on top.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

the Ward

Quote from: bear hunter on February 20, 2022, 12:36:55 AM
A 2 dollar ozark trail I am bad to lose knives but cant seem to lose the 2 dollar knife.
Ain't that the truth! I have a small two blade old timer pocket knife i keep in my vest.  I had a small pair of Gerber multi pliers i carried hunting and fishing for like 30 years, and i lost it in a parking area loading up the kayaks after a river run. I had it slipped on a seat strap on the kayak, and my wife was helping me and took the seat off to put in the truck and didn't see it and it slipped off in a busy launch area. I didn't realize it happened till we got back to hotel we were staying at, so i drove back to look for it, but it was gone. She felt terrible about it, as it had a lot of sentimental value to me, but it was an accident and stuff happens. She bought me a new leatherman to replace it, so i carry it now to make new memories!

Tom007

Interesting thread. I know I strive to go in light, so I carry the folding Remington R-7 Hunting Knife. Got it years ago, my buddy found 2 at a flea market, he kindly gave me one. Has a perfect gutting/cutting blade, a REM-choke tube wrench blade, and a rounded pin blade that works good removing trigger pins, etc. The other knife is my fillet knife for cleaning up the bird for the grill. It's a Bubba NWTF. Works great, I leave this one home. Be safe, good luck this spring.....