turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey hunting knives

Started by Zobo, February 19, 2022, 08:32:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

I just watched a youtube channel last night called "project farm" he does testing and comparisons of various items. He tested a bunch of folding pocket knives that cost from $13 to $250. Results were pretty interesting.

RiverBuck

The Socom Elite is always w me.
Middle custom Damascus has broken down countless amounts of species...Everything from cattle, bears, elk and moose to turkey.
The Havalon on the bottom is never far away.

compton30

My kill kit is generally the same for all hunts. Zip ties, pen, paper towels, and the knife is my Benchmade Steep Country. I couldn't be happier with that knife

bigriverbum

Gobbler428

Carry a Benchmade folder, Griptilian in blaze orange in hopes that when I drop it I'll find it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I carry a Kabar model 1443.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Zobo

This is my backup knife, the Esee Izula. I strapped it to the left side vest suspender so it's at the ready for cutting that twig that inevitably pokes you in the back or ubstrucks your shooting lane after setup. When I use camo netting I cut peep holes in it with this knife. I don't use it for fabrication but you easily could, the carbon steel edge gets razor sharp. It's a replacement for the one I lost last year and weights next to nothing.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

captpete

The only knife I carry during turkey season is the one I carry everyday...a Gerber Mini-Paraframe. I don't clean my bird until I get home and then I use an old Rapala fillet knife with a 4" blade.

For deer hunting I carry a Buck fixed blade with a bright orange handle...that bright orange handle is lot easier to see laying on the ground. I used to carry a Buck 110, but retired it a couple of yeas ago. It's close to 40 years old and was afraid I would loose it. I've had to make several trips back into the woods to get it after forgetting to pick it up. I have always been lucky to find it right where I left it. I also find the fixed blade knife easier to clean than the 110 after field dressing a deer.

For small game I use an Old Timer Sharpfinger that one of my best friends gave me about 35 years ago for my birthday.

HillclimberWV

Quote from: Zobo on February 20, 2022, 09:45:20 AM
This is my backup knife, the Esee Izula. I strapped it to the left side vest suspender so it's at the ready for cutting that twig that inevitably pokes you in the back or ubstrucks your shooting lane after setup. When I use camo netting I cut peep holes in it with this knife. I don't use it for fabrication but you easily could, the carbon steel edge gets razor sharp. It's a replacement for the one I lost last year and weights next to nothing.

does this knife get slippery on you? I have looked at them several times to add to my bowhunting/western hunting pack but always thought it would be hard to hold onto while it was bloody.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Zobo

HillclimberWV:  That Esse as a backup for big game hunts, I'd say yes. You'll never feel it, it adds zero weight. But I wouldn't use it as a primary field dresser. Some people do. I've seen guys regrind the blade to create a more favorable shape for break down. You don't need size it's all in the steel they say and I like Esses's carbon steel. But the handle you might not like. It doesnt slip for my purposes but you might find it "hotspoty" during a field dress/breakdown/ skinning etc. Another important benefit is the price, Benchmade came up with a similar type but it cost WAY more!

vthokie7227

I've always carried a Buck 110. Same knife I used on my first deer many years ago. You could say I've grown attached to it.

Zobo

I carried this Leatherman for years, with no other knife, until the shears loosened and stopped cutting well. I now just bring a small pair of garden hand pruners with me and a separate knife. I need pruners where I hunt and the way I hunt.

fallhnt

Quote from: Zobo on February 20, 2022, 02:27:50 PM
I carried this Leatherman for years, with no other knife, until the shears loosened and stopped cutting well. I now just bring a small pair of garden hand pruners with me and a separate knife. I need pruners where I hunt and the way I hunt.

Best I've ever owned. Real sharp when new. I don't think they make them anymore.  Mine is worn out too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

RiverBuck

Not trying to derail this but since you brought up sheers... If you're looking for some quality pruners check out the Falco 31's.
Need a good saw? The Bahco Laplander is top notch.

Zobo

Quote from: RiverBuck on February 20, 2022, 04:56:00 PM
Not trying to derail this but since you brought up sheers... If you're looking for some quality pruners check out the Falco 31's.
Need a good saw? The Bahco Laplander is top notch.
You're definitely not derailing at all, I think shears are as important as a knife for turkey hunting. Its all in the same category.  I don't carry a saw but do always take these small Stihl nippers, they work great