turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many extra shells do you carry?

Started by Tail Feathers, June 07, 2021, 05:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Three shells in the shotgun and I've always got my EDC on me in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmart241

grayfox

Cowboy

Generally about 4 shells total. Just 2 in the gun and couple in vest. And extras at the truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mcw3734

I travel across the state to hunt, so when I leave the house the gear bag always has a single box of 5 shells.

When it's time to hunt, 2 go in the gun. They are then placed in a buttstock shell holder when driving between locations. A 3rd shell resides for the weekend in the day pack.

I can shoot 2 spring birds here, same day is allowed.

WildTigerTrout

Usually 7, 3 in the gun and 4 extra either in my vest or in a buttstock shell holder.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Sir-diealot on June 07, 2021, 08:48:57 PM
I'm a real man, I carry a primer and a brick!
I used to just pull my mask off and ugly 'em to death. 
But i boogered a couple up too bad so now I just shoot 'em.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

crow

2 in the gun and a box of 25 carried on 2 bandoleers criss crossed across my turkey vest

I hunt where there is the possibility of hearing banjo music, would hate to get in a bad way because of a lack of ammo

WiLL B

Jimspur

Yoteduster

turkey_picker

Mossberg90MN

I carry 3 on me and a box of 5 in the truck.

Why the extra box? Because I have in fact put my shells in a mesh vest pocket and have them fall out at some point in time. Luckily I keep that extra box of shells In the truck.

3 in the woods. First one should be all I need, second one if needed. The third one is mainly for false hopes and dreams... if you've shot at that bird twice and he's still runnin, that 3rd shot is most likely not gonna do a thing.

But I'd rather have them then not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUCKDIGGLER

Quote from: Tail Feathers on June 07, 2021, 05:22:24 PM
I usually carry a gun with two shells in it and two in my vest.  When I'm away from home I load the gun with three.  Strange place...you just never know what you may encounter I guess.
The two in the vest are mostly for if I forget to load the gun.  (Yes, it's happened) :TooFunny:
When I carry my single shot, I have one in the gun and an extra in my front pocket for quick access in case a follow up is needed.
I've had to shoot a couple of birds a second time, but it's rare.  If I see that head up, I always shoot again since I lost one many years ago.
I've never come back from a hunt with no ammo and I don't see the need to carry a bunch of extra ammo and that weight.  I did try carrying a third extra round, a heavy pheasant load for snake medicine but since it looks like my turkey shells I got it mixed up once and don't do it any more.
How many shells do you carry when you hunt?

Pretty much same as you OP.  With my TC single shot.....1 in gun and 1 or 2 in vest. With a repeater 2 in the gun and usually 1 in the vest.....on a rare occasion 2 in the vest. I always have at least a full box (5 rounds) in the truck in my gun case.....just in case. I carry enough crap in my vest so any weight I can shave off I try to.

Mathews.1