OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many extra shells do you carry?  (Read 5646 times)

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: How many extra shells do you carry?
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2021, 04:55:47 AM »
Three in the gun and two in my vest.

Offline Ozarks Hillbilly

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2021, 06:07:17 AM »
3 in gun 3 in vest.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2021, 06:28:22 AM »
I'm a real man, I carry a primer and a brick!
  I used to just pull my mask off and ugly 'em to death. 
But i boogered a couple up too bad so now I just shoot 'em.
The DEC threatened to take my license if I kept doing that, something about inhumane cruelty to animals and such.

2 in the gun and a box of 25 carried on 2 bandoleers criss crossed across my turkey vest

I hunt where there is the possibility of hearing banjo music, would hate to get in a bad way because of a lack of ammo

Squeal like a pig boy, you got a real purdy mouth.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 02:40:48 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Howie g

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2021, 07:49:15 AM »
Obviously how many my weapon legally holds , then always 3 or 4 extras in vest .  And a couple of low brass for these copperheadedrattlemocacins we have here in the dirty south .

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2021, 07:55:34 AM »
2 in the gun and a box of 25 carried on 2 bandoleers criss crossed across my turkey vest

I hunt where there is the possibility of hearing banjo music, would hate to get in a bad way because of a lack of ammo
:TooFunny:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2021, 08:18:28 AM »
My quiver holds 6 arrows, 4 with broadheads, 2 with judo points for practice mostly but also snakes or small game.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2021, 08:28:22 AM »
GA changed its laws a couple years ago so I only carry 5 shells....all in my gun.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2021, 08:48:15 AM »
I carry at least 4 shells in my vest.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2021, 08:51:10 AM »
5 total.  3 TSS and 2 high brass 6s for pests/varmits/misc critters

Offline btomlin

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2021, 11:04:09 AM »
I carry 6.  I carry 3 for my gun(l only load 2) and I carry 3 extra in the event a buddy says "I forgot my shells in the truck/home"(it has occurred 2x but 1 hasn't been fired yet).

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »
3 in Gun 3 in vest, don't know why I have 3 in vest. Guess it just makes me feel good knowing I have them.lol Have never had to dip in there an get them!

Online wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2021, 01:37:36 PM »
I use over under so I carry 4 total.
One tss to load and one extra
One lead pheasant load and one extra
Sometimes I’ll carry one T load for hogs/coyotes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2021, 07:31:26 PM »
 I typically carry one more than which ever gun I am carrying will hold. My thought process is... If I empty my gun and do not succeed on a turkey, I have one left for myself.

Reading this made me think, if I am having such an off day, maybe I should carry two extras, for insurance.

Just kidding, about some of it. I do carry one more than the gun will hold. If true, I would have been dead awhile back!

Offline Kyle_Ott

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »
If you hunt large, remote tracts of land often you will eventually have an encounter with an apex predator that will remind you you're not at the top of the food chain in those environments.  You'll walk away grateful you're still here and you'll be glad you had a gun in the event that you were going to rely on it to save your life.  You may have a stain on your boxers after the encounter, as well.

There are also meth labs, tweekers and all sorts of unpleasant people you hear about in the news who live in places far from cell phone service.   

I used to carry 2 in my gun and 2 in my vest and I still do that when I'm hunting locally.  But when I'm on the road I carry 3 in my gun and 4 in my vest.  When you're far from home in remote places, you're putting yourself in a position where you could easily encounter the worst case scenario.

I don't go into the woods concerned about these types of scenarios but I'm aware that they happen.  I'm aware apex predators exist in the woods and meth labs do, too.  I want to make sure I've given myself a fighting chance to be the one who comes home.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:25:28 PM by Kyle_Ott »

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2021, 09:40:34 PM »
If you hunt large, remote tracts of land often you will eventually have an encounter with an apex predator that will remind you you're not at the top of the food chain in those environments.  You'll walk away grateful you're still here and you'll be glad you had a gun in the event that you were going to rely on it to save your life.  You may have a stain on your boxers after the encounter, as well.

There are also meth labs, tweekers and all sorts of unpleasant people you hear about in the news who live in places far from cell phone service.   

I used to carry 2 in my gun and 2 in my vest and I still do that when I'm hunting locally.  But when I'm on the road I carry 3 in my gun and 4 in my vest.  When you're far from home in remote places, you're putting yourself in a position where you could easily encounter the worst case scenario.

I don't go into the woods concerned about these types of scenarios but I'm aware that they happen.  I'm aware apex predators exist in the woods and meth labs do, too.  I want to make sure I've given myself a fighting chance to be the one who comes home.
Dang Kyle . What size of TSS do you carry for Sasquatch  ? Some lead for methers , tss to expensive for them :toothy12: