OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How many extra shells do you carry?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Kyle_Ott

Re: How many extra shells do you carry?
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2021, 10:01:26 PM »
I walked up on a fresh cat kill in 2010 in Wyoming that had taken place moments before I arrived and I got charged by a sow in the Appalachian mountains a few weeks ago when I unknowingly walked between her and the cubs.  She covered 80 yards in what seemed like 2 seconds and hit the brakes at 25 yards to start "jumping" off her front legs and raising up on to her back legs while huffing and cutting her teeth at me.  She was kind enough to allow me to slowly take one step backwards while facing her until I was out of sight and for another 200 yards after that just in case she came again.   It all worked out fine but I was fully prepared to run that gun dry if she hadn't stopped at 25 yards or decided to keep coming after she stopped to posture.

I'm not sure how many hundreds of days of turkey hunting that took place in the 11 years between those encounters but it proves that statistically, encountering those types of scenarios is an anomaly.  However, the law of probability indicates that if you do something enough, you'll encounter the anomaly and I'd rather be prepared for it. 

You can be sure, if I encounter sasquatch and he's unpleasant, I've got enough shells to run that benelli dry and combat reload to run it dry again. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:10:02 PM by Kyle_Ott »

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2021, 10:11:03 PM »
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2021, 10:49:22 PM »
I walked up on a fresh cat kill in 2010 in Wyoming that had taken place moments before I arrived and I got charged by a sow in the Appalachian mountains a few weeks ago when I unknowingly walked between her and the cubs.  She covered 80 yards in what seemed like 2 seconds and hit the brakes at 25 yards to start "jumping" off her front legs and raising up on to her back legs while huffing and cutting her teeth at me.  She was kind enough to allow me to slowly take one step backwards while facing her until I was out of sight and for another 200 yards after that just in case she came again.   It all worked out fine but I was fully prepared to run that gun dry if she hadn't stopped at 25 yards or decided to keep coming after she stopped to posture.

I'm not sure how many hundreds of days of turkey hunting that took place in the 11 years between those encounters but it proves that statistically, encountering those types of scenarios is an anomaly.  However, the law of probability indicates that if you do something enough, you'll encounter the anomaly and I'd rather be prepared for it. 
!
You can be sure, if I encounter sasquatch and he's unpleasant, I've got enough shells to run that benelli dry and combat reload to run it dry again.
  Things like that in the back of my mind are why I carry the full three shells when I'm traveling.  You just never know on strange ground.
Glad those ended OK for you!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline hotspur

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2021, 04:59:36 AM »
If you hunt large, remote tracts of land often you will eventually have an encounter with an apex predator that will remind you you're not at the top of the food chain in those environments.  You'll walk away grateful you're still here and you'll be glad you had a gun in the event that you were going to rely on it to save your life.  You may have a stain on your boxers after the encounter, as well.

There are also meth labs, tweekers and all sorts of unpleasant people you hear about in the news who live in places far from cell phone service.   

I used to carry 2 in my gun and 2 in my vest and I still do that when I'm hunting locally.  But when I'm on the road I carry 3 in my gun and 4 in my vest.  When you're far from home in remote places, you're putting yourself in a position where you could easily encounter the worst case scenario.

I don't go into the woods concerned about these types of scenarios but I'm aware that they happen.  I'm aware apex predators exist in the woods and meth labs do, too.  I want to make sure I've given myself a fighting chance to be the one who comes home.   Even apex predators respect the sound of a pump shotgun  racking one in the chamber

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2021, 06:07:45 AM »
3 in my gun 2 in my vest

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2021, 06:45:09 AM »
3 in the gun (probably because of hunting waterfowl so much) and 2 extras in my satchel or vest. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chad Gus715

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2021, 09:44:44 AM »
Two or three in the gun and sometimes have an extra one or two in my vest. There's always a box of turkey shells in the truck.

Offline jpc1317

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »
Am I the only person here that carries a side arm too?  One of my friends and his dad were killed at a boat launch one night just out of meanness. I also know someone who has been robbed while hunting close to where I am so I don’t take chances. I also Walked into some backwoods farming one day…. Heck, unloading my shotgun is one of the last things I do after inspecting around my vehicle before approaching.

Loading and unloading from the car is where I’m always vigilant because the apex predator around me are tweakers. 

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2021, 03:50:31 PM »
Two in my gun and and a couple in my vest.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2021, 04:05:20 PM »
3 in the gun and 3-4 more in the vest.

Offline TonyTurk

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2021, 05:21:01 PM »
Am I the only person here that carries a side arm too?  One of my friends and his dad were killed at a boat launch one night just out of meanness. I also know someone who has been robbed while hunting close to where I am so I don’t take chances. I also Walked into some backwoods farming one day…. Heck, unloading my shotgun is one of the last things I do after inspecting around my vehicle before approaching.

Loading and unloading from the car is where I’m always vigilant because the apex predator around me are tweakers.
I have not carried my EDC while hunting, but I think I am going to start doing so. 

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2021, 08:54:24 PM »
1 in the gun
2 in my pocket
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2021, 09:46:13 PM »
I carry enough to fully load my gun twice and I always have another 3 stashed in my vest. You never know for sure how many you will need. So I have 11 shells with me usually. The 3 stashed in my vest has saved me some extra steps before when my son forgot to grab his shells in the house so he used my 3 for a youth hunt a couple years ago.

Offline dg7mm08

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2021, 12:47:33 PM »
5 or 6  probably, I would rather have ‘em and not need ‘em than need ‘em and not have ‘em .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2021, 02:57:15 PM »
2-3 extra shells besides whats in the gun.