OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Over and under users have a question  (Read 3336 times)

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
Over and under users have a question
« on: May 07, 2021, 06:07:44 AM »
What happens if your barrels don't share the same POA/POI? Lets say the top barrel is your longer range barrel and sighted in with your red dot. What happens if your bottom barrel shoots left/right and up/down compared to the red dot zero of the top barrel? The Browning Cynergy Turkey really has my interest but I'd hate to spend that kind of money and have those problems.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Ihuntoldschool

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Over and under users have a question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 06:23:13 AM »
The top barrel will shoot a little high and the bottom barrel will shoot a little low on an O/U.  They will shoot the same left to right but not up/down.  If it was me I would stick with one barrel.

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2021, 07:47:09 AM »
My Berettas shoot within 6" of each other. with different payload turkey loads (both dead on with field loads). Browning builds a quality gun as well, but there are no guarantees in life. Only you know if the ability to have two chokes for super tight long range patterns and forgiving up close patterns is worth the risk of spending the money to find out. In my case, I had the guns already for other game and decided to turn them into turkey guns.

I have an FF III on mine and split the difference with POA/POI. I aim for the waddles with the short barrel (shoots a touch high) and for the head with the long range barrel, which hits a touch low). That is easy for me to remember even in the heat of the moment. Just like you would hold high with a rifle if your target is way out there and a bit low if it is closer than your zero range. Other people set POI to POA with the long range barrel and hope that the greater spread of the close range barrel will compensate for the higher POI.

Offline CALLM2U

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 08:17:33 AM »
I'm really intrigued by the O/U but this has been one of my hesitations. 

I'm a fan of keeping it really simple and in the moment of truth, don't want to have to think about where I need to aim based on which barrel I'm using.  I have too many other things to think about  ;D

That's why I've always chosen a pattern that works well at 20 and 40.  Take the guess work out of it. 

I'm still interested in the O/U and will likely build one just because I like to tinker. 

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 08:43:21 AM »
The top and bottom barrel poi should be 5/6 inches up/down. If you have different poi left/right you need to return gun.

For my Yildiz I use a Trijicon sight with a triangle instead of round dot. I use top barrel as long barrel and poa is “pumpkin on a fence” so I put target on the top of the triangle. For longer shots I feel like this give me a little better accuracy
Bottom barrel I cover target with triangle. Bottom barrel is modified choke with a spreading pheasant load so this works well for close often quick sight acquisition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 08:49:01 AM »
If you do a dot if it was me I’d make the poa/poi the middle of the 2 barrels.
The with top barrel you put dot right under target and bottom barrel right over target

Offline DUCKDIGGLER

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »
What happens if your barrels don't share the same POA/POI? Lets say the top barrel is your longer range barrel and sighted in with your red dot. What happens if your bottom barrel shoots left/right and up/down compared to the red dot zero of the top barrel? The Browning Cynergy Turkey really has my interest but I'd hate to spend that kind of money and have those problems.

Barrel convergence is a thing for sure. Generally speaking that is why it pays to go with a higher end (Browning, Beretta and the like) over and unders. They have a long history of building stack battle guns and QC is normally stringent. Something has to give when it comes to price point doubles and barrel convergence can be a problem. I’m not saying you can’t get lucky with a cheaper alternative but myself personally would look elsewhere.  With that said nothing is guaranteed 100% but I’d put my hard earned  money with the companies known for quality. Just my opinion.  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 01:03:48 PM »
My nephew has a CZ Mallard double trigger 20-I would consider that gun high end of the cheaper guns.   It is waddles with the tight and eyeball with the wide.  Straight from the factory, not playing around with windage. Windage should be dead on or there is a problem with the gun.  If I could find one, I would buy one too (12's are available, but the 20s are hard to find now). If they are too off, I would sell or just use it as a spare dove gun.  We played around with cheap loads and messing up (waddles with the wide barrel) would be lethal for sure with the wide choke.

Find a good deal on a used model and if you don't like it, sell it. I have been looking for a 20 O/U in double trigger and without spending several grand, they are hard to locate. I just don't want one that bad.

I would not like to mess with the left and right, but there have been a whole mess of turkeys killed with side by sides and folks that have shot them for years.    Would be cool to invent a sighting system for side by sides that could work with both barrels. Not much of a market though. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 05:37:35 PM »
Browning Cynergy Field 20 Ga. I replaced the factory bead with a Hi-Viz CompSight fiber optic. The splatter targets are target loads at 12 yards. The left target is the top barrel with a Trulock Precision Hunter SK2 (.615) and the right target is the bottom barrel with a Trulock Precision Hunter .585, next is 25 yds. with the top barrel and 1 3/8 oz. TSS #9's followed by the bottom barrel and 1 7/16 oz. TSS #9's at 40 yds. POA is the red circle. I didn't want to cover the black circle so I floated it on top of the sight. It's not off by much.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:51:01 PM by TalksToTurkeys »

Online crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 06:22:46 PM »
nice patterns and set up

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2021, 06:44:22 PM »

My Cynergy Ultimate Turkey set up is pretty good.  I sight the gun in with the bottom barrel. My top barrel is only an inch higher, no big deal. I found a choke that brings it down to almost perfect. The theory behind over-unders is tight choke in one barrel, more open choke in other barrel. It works great, I love the set-up. Hope this helps...PS, the Browning Ultimate Cynergy is the tightest shooting gun I own. It has Vector technology,lengthened  forcing cones, and is back-bored right from the factory. Great shooting gun...
“Solo hunter”

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 07:28:38 PM »
I’m running a Yildiz youth 20
562 with tss
585 with pheasant lead 7 spreader loads
20 and 40 yard patterns

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »
Definitely lots to think about and I do appreciate all the posts, pics and suggestions. Those are some nice patterns pictured above. I will most likely pick one up during the off season to try out. I do enjoy putting turkey guns together and a double seems like it might be worth it.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2021, 09:48:42 AM »

My Cynergy Ultimate Turkey set up is pretty good.  I sight the gun in with the bottom barrel. My top barrel is only an inch higher, no big deal. I found a choke that brings it down to almost perfect. The theory behind over-unders is tight choke in one barrel, more open choke in other barrel. It works great, I love the set-up. Hope this helps...PS, the Browning Ultimate Cynergy is the tightest shooting gun I own. It has Vector technology,lengthened  forcing cones, and is back-bored right from the factory. Great shooting gun...

Tom what sling attachments did you add to your gun? I see they don't come with the post and drilled stock. Also do you have the 24 or 26" barrel model? Thanks

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2021, 09:49:59 AM »
I’m running a Yildiz youth 20
562 with tss
585 with pheasant lead 7 spreader loads
20 and 40 yard patterns

Those are some amazing patterns!!