ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 08:09:44 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 24, 2021, 07:42:12 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 07:26:51 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 24, 2021, 06:58:50 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 06:35:39 PM
Quote from: guesswho on April 24, 2021, 05:05:34 PM
Are you sure its#6's and not #9's.
Yes, sure am for two reasons, 1. I just double checked and 2. 9's are illegal in NY Sorry, re-reading this it comes off cocky, it was not my intent.
No, not at all.   Makes sense now with the HW's.
Thanks. Any clue what the performance would be compared to the Longbeard XR's?
Hard to say how they'll pattern, a lot of variables, but they'll certainly have less pellets per ounce than your LBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is that if they are both number 6?

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk
1oz of #6 Federal Heavyweight = 165
1oz of #6 Longbeard XRs = 209
**so the Heavyweights only have about 80% of the shot the Longbeards have; if they didn't just flat pattern exceptionally better out of my gun and choke then I'd stick with the LBs and higher pellet count

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,20425.0.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 04:17:50 PM
Stopped into a gun shop earlier and found they had two boxes of turkey ammo left, I thought I read it as Federal Heavyweight 3" 12 ga. number 8 shot but I did have sweat in my eyes and it turns out it is 6 shot which I discovered when I got home.

I am already shooting number 6 shot Winchester Longbeard XR's, am I going to see any improvement other an penetration?

Hi Steve. I shoot both 6 and 7 Heavyweight federals.  They are a great shell. The only thing to consider is that they have the older Flite- Control Wad. This shell does not perform well out of ported chokes, or any choke that has wad stripping characteristics. I get fantastic results with the 7's using a Truelock #7 Flite Control Choke made for these shells. I use a Rob Roberts Final Strut non-ported .660 choke for the number 6's. Hope this helps....

Sir-diealot

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2021, 08:27:23 PM
Because Longbeards are lead (11gm/cc) and Heavyweight is tungsten alloy (15gm/cc).  So based on weight, there will be less shot per ounce in the Heavyweight.

Edit:  I just looked it up
Lead#6 - 222 pellets per ounce
Heavyweight #6 - 165 pellets per ounce
TSS #6 (which I have never seen)- 139 per ounce

I have not had any luck with a good pattern with the HW in a 12 gauge (about 5 guns now).  20 gauge has been tremendous.

Quote from: g8rvet on April 24, 2021, 08:27:23 PM
Because Longbeards are lead (11gm/cc) and Heavyweight is tungsten alloy (15gm/cc).  So based on weight, there will be less shot per ounce in the Heavyweight.

Edit:  I just looked it up
Lead#6 - 222 pellets per ounce
Heavyweight #6 - 165 pellets per ounce
TSS #6 (which I have never seen)- 139 per ounce

I have not had any luck with a good pattern with the HW in a 12 gauge (about 5 guns now).  20 gauge has been tremendous. 

Thanks you guys, think these will be used for coyote season then, had hoped to get #8 TSS but they will never get here in time for turkey season unless I pay a crazy shipping fee and I am not willing to do that. I will start shoving money to the side to get some TSS #8's for next season, the new Indian Creek choke will have to wait til then.

Quote from: Tom007 on April 24, 2021, 08:53:21 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 24, 2021, 04:17:50 PM
Stopped into a gun shop earlier and found they had two boxes of turkey ammo left, I thought I read it as Federal Heavyweight 3" 12 ga. number 8 shot but I did have sweat in my eyes and it turns out it is 6 shot which I discovered when I got home.

I am already shooting number 6 shot Winchester Longbeard XR's, am I going to see any improvement other an penetration?

Hi Steve. I shoot both 6 and 7 Heavyweight federals.  They are a great shell. The only thing to consider is that they have the older Flite- Control Wad. This shell does not perform well out of ported chokes, or any choke that has wad stripping characteristics. I get fantastic results with the 7's using a Truelock #7 Flite Control Choke made for these shells. I use a Rob Roberts Final Strut non-ported .660 choke for the number 6's. Hope this helps....

With what they said above and what you said I guess I am not even going to bother with them for turkey season, they may get used coyote season or used in the home defense gun. I just hate that I wasted the money at this time.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

lunghit

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

lunghit

I will be in Livingston Manor tomorrow but that is a long ways away lol. I could have brought you a box of TSS 8's.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: lunghit on April 25, 2021, 07:51:33 AM
I will be in Livingston Manor tomorrow but that is a long ways away lol. I could have brought you a box of TSS 8's.
Yea that is a bit far, I do thank you for the thought. Had my stimulus come sooner I was going to buy 4 or 5 boxes but there is not time now as he ships UPS ground and Apex does not ship to NY at all.

John Koenig:

lunghit

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 25, 2021, 08:12:24 AM
Yea that is a bit far, I do thank you for the thought. Had my stimulus come sooner I was going to buy 4 or 5 boxes but there is not time now as he ships UPS ground and Apex does not ship to NY at all.
Apex DOES ship to NY. I bought 9 boxes over the past winter. They won't ship to NY city but will ship to your area. I live on Long Island and get ammo delivered all the time from different companies including Apex. Target Sports USA and outdoorlimited also ship to NY. It's 100% legal for companies to ship to NY outside the city.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: lunghit on April 25, 2021, 08:14:04 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 25, 2021, 08:12:24 AM
Apex DOES ship to NY. I bought 9 boxes over the past winter. They won't ship to NY city but will ship to your area. I live on Long Island and get ammo delivered all the time from different companies.
Strange, when I entered my zip code they said they would not ship here and I live more than 220 miles from NYC

John Koenig:

crow

Steve, you should pattern a couple in your gun and see what it does.
I have an 870 12 with a .670 ext. choke that patterns these loads very good

I have hunted with the HVWT 6's a good bit and they hit like a hammer, but they IMO are not overkill for turkeys, they are not in the same class as TSS#6

they are a great turkey load, I wouldn't just put them on the shelf for coyotes

IMO the pluses for this load over lead #6's, if your gun/choke likes them,
the center core 10" pattern is going to hold tighter farther, 40 plus yards should not be a problem

if you need a follow up shot and have to shoot at "turkey, all of turkey" (as Col. Tom puts it). There is no comparison between these and lead 6's for body shot performance, in real world performance HVWT 6's outperform lead #2's

as far as pellet count, HVWT 6's are only several pellets per ounce less than lead #5's at 173 oz., pellet count for lead #5's is pretty well accepted for turkeys, so why is pellet count for the hvwt 6's bad.

if your gun with the hvwt 6's gives you 40 plus yd 10" numbers for head/neck shots and way better penetration than lead 6's for a backup shot, I would hunt the Fed. HVWT's

In the 12ga and several 20ga's I shot the Fed HVWT 6's out of they patterned better with less choke constriction, the HVWT #7's liked a little more choke.

one 20 gauge with a fixed extra full choke gets higher 10" numbers with the hvwt 6's than it does with hvwt 7's, again you won't know till you shoot them in your gun.

Besides your turkey choke, try them in a full and extra full choke.

Sir-diealot

@lunghit
Well now it says they will ship here but it would not be here in time so I am not going to bother.

@ Crow
I am not sure what I am going to do, looking at weather I only have two days without rain to get stuff set up for the Saturday start of the season and I have to run all day tomorrow for the Mennonite I drive for and then go to Dr. appointment for my knee.

I also have to make sure nothing has changed after my fall last season with my current setup so I do not even know if I want to try the new choke and I have 2 calls to finish before the season starts.

John Koenig:

captpete

I tried the Heavyweight 6's in a 20ga and they didn't pattern good at all. At 30yd and closer they were ok, but beyond that they were pretty bad. The pattern was very thin. Like posted above...a lot less pellets in the heavyweight shells compared to lead 6"s. I actually had just as good if not better patterns at 35yd with standard lead 5's.

Tail Feathers

Those Fed Heavyweights were a good find.  Excellent round.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ShootingABN!

Let us know how they pattern for you. Good luck this season.

2eagles

I look at those and think, Goose load!