turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stop complaining. Killers gonna kill

Started by JohnSouth22, April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

This looks like the perfect place to drop a...

"What choke tube works best with a {fill in the blank} shotgun?"

Gobble Nole

This post is interesting to me.  I have never associated turkey hunting with killing.  Some of my most memorable hunts have ended without a bird being taken.  My goal each year is to enjoy the outdoors and hear just one more gobble. 

The things I enjoy are the blooming dogwoods that show white laced in crimson against the greening hardwoods.  The anticipation and excitement of getting my son in front of a strutting gobbler.  It is not easy to get a 9 year old to kill a NW Florida eastern tom.  I love the owls echoing in the distance, I stop in my tracks every time a woodpecker is disturbed and I listen in anticipation. 

And if I am lucky I will screw up and kill one or two each year. 

But make no mistake, turkey hunting is infinitely about more than killing the turkey.  It is the ultimate chess match against a willing and capable opponent. 

eggshell

Everything is in the eye of the beholder and every perspective is different. I don't see it as complaining as much as a desire to make it better. Sure there is some complaining and grouching, but hey that is stress release. I would bet that most of the hunters here that are "Quote unquote complaining' are also the guys who donate to wildlife funds, manage properties for wildlife, are advocates with wildlife agencies and have helped many a greenhorn along the pathway. They are the ones that show up when their friends need someone and they love the resource as much as life. Concern for someone or something you love will often lead to complaining about the things that jeopardize those things.... pure Killers generally aren't included in that group. so throw you rotten veggies and fruit and insults, I love my  turkeys and the habitat they live in, count me guilty enough to complain about what threatens them. I am unapologetic for that love.

CAPTJJ

Quote from: AndyN on April 12, 2021, 02:33:27 PM
Million dollar question? Is it more sporting for me to decoy them with a bow and shoot them at 10yds from a blind  or call without decoys and blast 'em at 40yds with a shotgun? Even with a blind and decoys I could shoot five gobblers with a gun for every one that gets into bow range.

I say that I will stop using my decoys and blind when everyone gives up their shotguns, for the challenge of course.

eggshell

not telling a tall tale, but years ago my buddy and I had a contest to see who could catch one by hand...I'm not even saying if we were successful .....cough cough spitting out feathers

Howie g

Quote from: CAPTJJ on April 12, 2021, 07:01:20 PM
Quote from: AndyN on April 12, 2021, 02:33:27 PM
Million dollar question? Is it more sporting for me to decoy them with a bow and shoot them at 10yds from a blind  or call without decoys and blast 'em at 40yds with a shotgun? Even with a blind and decoys I could shoot five gobblers with a gun for every one that gets into bow range.

I say that I will stop using my decoys and blind when everyone gives up their shotguns, for the challenge of course.
Yelp one up without the aid of a blind or decoy ,, then bow kill one .  Now that's a challenge!

crow

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 12, 2021, 04:21:03 PM

you have to specify what type of shot you plan on shooting or we're not going to be able to help you out with this

Pluffmud

I see what the OP is saying, and I agree with points from others as well. No, it is not just about killing obviously. My love for chasing turkeys is waaay deeper than just shooting a bird. However, Im not out there to only watch the sunrise and see the dogwoods bloom, either. The end to the means is harvesting a bird. Thay being said, the hunting culture today is what it is. Its not going to change by crying about the good ole days. I wish that I could have seen the good ole days. I was born too late. Therefore, Im going to make the best of it, and make my days the good ole days. Im going to get up at 3am to get to the spot first, because I know its pressured. Im going to have to hunt non gobbling turkeys a little different. Im going to have to deak with a ridiculous number of hunters, and spend more hours scouting and patterning birds, and finding unpressured areas, and work harder to get to them. Sometimes I use decoys. Sometimes I dont. I really like custom pot calls. I have a few woodhaven mouth calls. I really like Original Bottomland, but Ive killed a pile of em wearing Realtree Hardwoods HD. I dont hunt with TSS and I use a more open choke, because i like to have them close, but Im not against TSS either. My families 250 acres used to be crawling with birds, until they clear cut it. None of these things are going to stop me. If anything, my woodsmanship has been refined, like gold in a fire. I can be jealous of all the hunters now a days, or I can do what I need to do to make hunting an enjoyable experience.
Psalm 46:10

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 11, 2021, 05:36:38 PM
I'm not going to do it OG.... Ya know I want to. I love turtles too. One spring, I called one in once, seriously. Beautiful orange color phase box.  :funnyturkey:
:D

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 11, 2021, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2021, 05:59:59 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on April 11, 2021, 05:35:29 PM
Some of us older hunters know how to use a bread bag, how about you younger guys .. LOL.. I just had to add this for another aid in killing gobblers..

A real avid turkey hunter just let me in on the bread bag secret. Can't wait to try it out.....

Ya load the bread bag with bread. And ya rip off a little piece every 20 yards or so and drop it, this way you can follow your trail back out and ya don't get lost  :funnyturkey:
The Guns N' Hoses resident comedian!!! :D

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: stinkpickle on April 12, 2021, 04:21:03 PM

LMAO!!!

Ctrize

I have called in turkeys and turtles by crinkling a bread bag.

Mossyguy

Quote from: Ctrize on April 13, 2021, 10:04:27 AM
I have called in turkeys and turtles by crinkling a bread bag.

What type of bread and bag do you recommend  :TooFunny:

trkehunr93

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM
Seems the complaining is constant on here. People speaking of the old days when grand pappys spot on the wma where you used to hear 10 birds now only hear one or two. Complaining that the YouTube boys have "ruined" your state. That people can shoot too far and people shouldn't use decoys. That you have to wake up at 3AM to get the gate you want. At the end of the day the killers are still gonna kill and you'll find something  to point your finger at as to why you can't. People want to kill turkeys then won't get up at 3 to be at the gate. It comes down to nut cutting time and there aren't many people that wanna cut nuts no more.
Kids these days....and for the record a turkey ain't worth me cutting my nuts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk