turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stop complaining. Killers gonna kill

Started by JohnSouth22, April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

When,I  can't  Kill a Gobbler, I  am on the Lookout for Box Turtles.
   I like Turtles too.

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on April 11, 2021, 05:35:29 PM
Some of us older hunters know how to use a bread bag, how about you younger guys .. LOL.. I just had to add this for another aid in killing gobblers..

A real avid turkey hunter just let me in on the bread bag secret. Can't wait to try it out.....
"Solo hunter"

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2021, 05:59:59 PM
Some of us older hunters know how to use a bread bag, how about you younger guys .. LOL.. I just had to add this for another aid in killing gobblers..

A real avid turkey hunter just let me in on the bread bag secret. Can't wait to try it out.....

Ya load the bread bag with bread. And ya rip off a little piece every 20 yards or so and drop it, this way you can follow your trail back out and ya don't get lost  :funnyturkey: 
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Greg Massey

Quote from: TrackeySauresRex on April 11, 2021, 06:41:43 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2021, 05:59:59 PM

Ya load the bread bag with bread. And ya rip off a little piece every 20 yards or so and drop it, this way you can follow your trail back out and ya don't get lost  :funnyturkey:
LMBO...

eggshell

Last year at this time I had a torn bowel and taking a dump would be so painful I'd almost pass out.....that experience was slightly more fun than this discussion!

merriamsman

Quote from: KentuckyHeadhunter on April 11, 2021, 05:10:02 PM
Another newbie expert.  This is why I avoid OG during season.  I check it for messages and I see this crap.

You got that right.

Kyle_Ott

If becoming a "Killer" requires a person to forfeit their sense  of stewardship and concern for the welfare of the resource there's nothing admirable about that.

I've spent plenty of nights in my truck at gates around the country, driven clean through the night plenty of times to make a flydown hunt, shot turkeys in a few states and I kill a few turkeys each season, too.  The driven, obsessive tendencies of "Killers" are not foreign to me. 

But, I believe the data driven science indicating we are simply overharvesting turkeys in many places.  I also believe that people contributing to the commercialization of the sport have the tendency to prioritize their own well-being (I.E. $$$$$$) over the resource while disguising their capitalist tendencies in a conservation facade.

Their inclination is more to say "What I'm doing is good for recruiting turkey hunters," or "Selling more licenses is good for state wild life agencies, which is supposed to translate into better turkey hunting" but they ignore the obvious fact that poult production has been steadily decreasing in most places around the country and we, as a community, have been killing record numbers of turkey

There are MANY conveniently ignored counterpoints but one is the fact that new hunters really crave killing and the need to fill tags to validate to themselves that they're improving.  Meanwhile, those who have been at this a while are leveraging various combinations of digitally handheld maps, TSS, biological information, decoys, blinds, fans, etc to become more effective than ever at killing these birds.

So when I see a post like this on the most frequently visited turkey hunting forum out there it really frustrates me.  Becoming an accomplished turkey hunter does not mean you should prioritize your desire to kill above the health of the resource.  In my opinion, it's ok to lobby on behalf of the bird and to advocate for restrictions that will decrease your own opportunities and those of others if that makes sense based on population dynamics.  And right now, we need a few more people worried about turkeys and not their reputation as being a "Killer."

turkeyfool

For what it's worth, I've personally hunted with the OP and he's not a kill hungry, let's waste the resource kind of guy. I think what he was getting at was there's a lot of complainers on here in general. I think that some of that has to do with YouTube and public land (which we've seen a lot of discussion on lately). To be honest, I do have mixed feelings on this because I think many of the youtubers have a lot of passion and do it the right way. But they've also added a whole bunch of travelling guys who just want to post to the gram. His words about killers gona kill could be taken out of context, but I do believe there's a lot of bitching and complaining on here from a few guys.

Howie g

Cool if you to clarify the killer Gona kill statement,  because it " could " be mis interpreted I reckon .
  But IMO that's what this forum is for ? To discuss all things turkey ...

RiverBuck

To me, Killers Gonna Kill means that some are instinctively better at getting the job done every year. Maybe it's their woodsmanship skills, maybe luck, maybe God has blessed them with a gift... Dunno but that's how I see it when someone says, A killers gonna kill.

jhoward11

Heed your own advice!! Complainers are always going to complain no matter what. This a a great site that makes it easy for you read what you want and pass up what you don't. There's no rule that you have to respond to anything, just that you be nice and treat each other with respect. God Bless.

AndyN

Million dollar question? Is it more sporting for me to decoy them with a bow and shoot them at 10yds from a blind  or call without decoys and blast 'em at 40yds with a shotgun? Even with a blind and decoys I could shoot five gobblers with a gun for every one that gets into bow range.

CT Spur Collector

LOL....not touching this one either..

Ol timer

If I where you I'd switch to Decaf!!! :toothy9:

arkrem870

Quote from: Howie g on April 11, 2021, 05:02:05 PM
Most of the " true killers " i know don't feel the need to explain there selves .

And most dont need confirmation from YouTube and social media.  Throw it in the stack and go on to the next one