OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Stop complaining. Killers gonna kill

Started by JohnSouth22, April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnSouth22

Seems the complaining is constant on here. People speaking of the old days when grand pappys spot on the wma where you used to hear 10 birds now only hear one or two. Complaining that the YouTube boys have "ruined" your state. That people can shoot too far and people shouldn't use decoys. That you have to wake up at 3AM to get the gate you want. At the end of the day the killers are still gonna kill and you'll find something  to point your finger at as to why you can't. People want to kill turkeys then won't get up at 3 to be at the gate. It comes down to nut cutting time and there aren't many people that wanna cut nuts no more.

Happy

Before this heads south at a rapid pace i might just say this. Maybe to some of us this isn't about not being able to kill gobblers. Maybe this about us not wanting to kill ALL the gobblers. Maybe it is about a healthy population and not leaving the woods barren of something that means a lot to us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

greencop01

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

JohnSouth22

And I agree more than anyone to protect the resource. While some get a bad rep the biologists over all do a good job on monitoring bird populations such OK going to one bird state due to repeating years of bad hatchlings. It is proven that the more birds are pressured the less they gobble. Just because the bird doesn't gobble doesn't mean that he's not there and using such a method to determine bird population is flawed. I wouldn't gobble either if every time I made a peep 3 bush wookies came at me from all directions.

SD_smith

I agree with most of what you've said. I was taught there is major difference between a turkey hunter and a turkey killer. Anybody can call themselves a hunter, but not many can kill their limit each season with ease using the resources available and the ability to quickly adapt and overcome. WITH THAT SAID, I do think the commercialization of turkey hunting has brought on some negative deals with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

Nope. Not taking the bait. I'll pass on this topic.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

justin.arps

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 11, 2021, 02:11:10 PM

I'm with you

Pluffmud

Its an honor to be inducted into the turkey killer group.
Psalm 46:10

Dtrkyman

I like hunting and killing, so win win!

I agree with part of it though, good turkey hunters/killers will find a way.

I kill public land birds in pressured areas each spring, not my favorite spots but they are convenient and have birds, funny thing is several of the "hottest birds" i have killed in the past few years have been on public in easily accessible spots so go figure.

Greg Massey

Quote from: justin.arps on April 11, 2021, 02:20:44 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 11, 2021, 02:11:10 PM

I'm with you

X3 .. i agree. Hunt the way you want, but remember some people still may not like your ways..

the Ward

Put me on record that i think nut cutting should be made illegal as a method of taking turkeys.

SteelerFan

Quote from: the Ward on April 11, 2021, 02:58:09 PM
Put me on record that i think nut cutting should be made illegal as a method of taking turkeys.

X2 - especially fanning cut nuts

Yoder409

Quote from: the Ward on April 11, 2021, 02:58:09 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Paulmyr

Quote from: JohnSouth22 on April 11, 2021, 01:18:28 PM
Seems the complaining is constant on here. People speaking of the old days when grand pappys spot on the wma where you used to hear 10 birds now only hear one or two. Complaining that the YouTube boys have "ruined" your state. That people can shoot too far and people shouldn't use decoys. That you have to wake up at 3AM to get the gate you want. At the end of the day the killers are still gonna kill and you'll find something  to point your finger at as to why you can't. People want to kill turkeys then won't get up at 3 to be at the gate. It comes down to nut cutting time and there aren't many people that wanna cut nuts no more.

Boy that was a mouthful. Mind you now these are just my opinions. I think grouping hunters together in one category of complainers is a mistake. Some are lazy and have taken hunting turkey's for granted. Most have an its all about me attitude. They started hunting during the boom in turkey populations. To say they were spoiled with a gluttony of wild turkeys is probably an understatement. Grand pappy's favorite spot probably did hold 10 gobblers. For guys my age and older grand pappy was lucky if he was even able to find a gobbler or for that matter be able to legally hunt wild Turkey's. Now when the hunting gets tough most in the spoiled crowd don't what to do so they complain. Some on the other hand see what is happening on a broader scale. They are concerned and see a need for change. They don't want things to be like when their Grand pappy grew up.

Killers gonna kill! I think that statement might have aged you a bit. I think what gets lost in all this is a lot of hunters , and I bet this is mostly separated by age groups, are just out to kill. Most miss out on the greatest part of hunting this fine bird. I know I'll be stepping on toes with this next statement. You don't get this from sitting in a gobbler lounger behind a flock of decoys eating snacks and sleeping until a tom comes running into your spread or by reaping. Effective tactics for sure. Maybe too effective. For some it's probably the only way they can participate. I can't bring myself to understand why an able bodied person would choose to use these tactics more than just a couple times. I don't hunt open areas. My opinions are based on the areas I like to hunt. Grasslands and open country or not on my list of destinations.

I have used decoys in my younger days during a period when I felt the need to validate myself as a turkey hunter. I've lain in wait for a Tom to come running to spread without calling. I felt empty inside compared to gobblers I shot coming to the call. There was no feeling of accomplishment. As I matured as a turkey hunter I knew how I needed to hunt them.

I'm not claiming all hunters need to hunt how I hunt. I feel you're missing something great if you don't. Again my opinion! I think the need for all turkey hunters to step back and see what is happening on the broader scale is definitely in order.
Ga is likely changing their starting date for the next couple years. Sucks for me as a northern boy. The Ga start date will likely coincide with the start date in my home state. Also the start date will be around the time poison oak starts to leaf. I can't for the life of me hunt later in the season in southern states without coming home with a nice rash from that stuff.

Thinking of more than myself I say let's see how it goes.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

troutfisher13111

Great post Paulmyr