OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who uses a watch while hunting?

Started by Mossberg90MN, March 27, 2021, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grayfox

I still wear a digital Timex. I could do like most others & just use my phone but it's easier just to glance at the watch rather than getting my phone out which causes more movement.

Gobble!

Quote from: Mountainburd on March 27, 2021, 02:35:40 PM
Every day all day. And I prefer a long hand. I get sick of looking at my phone constantly anyways. Any chance I get to limit that, I am happy.

X2

gergg

I have never worn a watch, hate the darn things.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

3bailey3

never wore one, when doing battle there is no time!

Spitten and drummen

Nope. I will check the time on my phone when I pull the trigger. Turkeys are on no set time table so I try not to be either when hunting them. Only when I have a prior engagement will I check the time.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Loyalist84

I always wear one, but I carry a G-Shock turkey hunting to stand up to the shotgun recoil and the digital time gives me that half-second extra that I'm not deciphering watch hands in the morning to see when legal shooting time starts.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rstewart8706

I have worn a wristwatch every single day, 7x24, since I got out of boot camp, Apr 1986. Casio G-Shock has been the watch of choice for 35 years. 
I learned it was a VERY, VERY bad idea to be late in the military.  I saw that they put you in jail for being late.  You are late if your muster time is 0700 and you arrive @ 0700 and 2 seconds.  That was my clue to DONT BE LATE in the military.

Sir-diealot

Would like to but never seem to find a watch with a comfortable strap (Thick wrists) and a green LED light. Hate those metal bands that stretch and come back together, always ripping the hair off my arm. I don't want to spend much on something I will only wear during turkey and deer season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

rstewart8706

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 29, 2021, 06:26:35 AM
Would like to but never seem to find a watch with a comfortable strap (Thick wrists) and a green LED light. Hate those metal bands that stretch and come back together, always ripping the hair off my arm. I don't want to spend much on something I will only wear during turkey and deer season.
Try a Casio G-Shock Illuminator, about $35 at walmart.  Great watch and has the green LED backlight you referenced.  Waterproof and comfortable (for me anyway) to wear.

surehuntsalot

always have a watch on
9 out of 10 times I leave the phone in the truck
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

eddie234

Looks like there's some mis conception as to why wearing a watch is a good idea. I have to quit hunting at noon here, I'm not good enough to gauge the time by the position of the sun.
If I'm blind calling I'll do so every 15 to 20 minutes.
I won't get up from a spot for at least 30 minutes after my last calling sequence, been busted more than I'd like to admit.
For these reasons I always wear my watch.
There was a really good article in Turkey and Turkey hunting magazine a few years ago on this same topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeyman

I dislike wearing a watch. However, most times I do have a pocket watch in addition to my cell phone.

Crghss

Always wear a watch. Last hunt I did needed to be at trail head by 4:00. Hike in to spot by 5:00. Setup and sitting at my spot by 5:30. Shooting time starts at 6:30. Being able to glance at my watch makes it way easier to keep on schedule.

Plus I like keeping track of time as I move and call. Hate pulling out the phone to check time.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Tail Feathers

Getting the phone out is too much movement.  I note the time of first gobble, time spent waiting, time between gobbles, etc.  The watch is much easier.  Turkey hunting is about the only time I wear a watch since retirmement.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!