turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who uses a watch while hunting?

Started by Mossberg90MN, March 27, 2021, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greencop01

I hang my watch on a branch or next to me where I can see it w/o moving my head. Use it to time between my calling and for quitting time. Also like one gentleman here to time the 30 min I'll wait past when I want to leave. Several times I've killed the biggest birds I ever shot waiting that 30 min. And sometimes when the 30 min are up I start to stand with my hand on the ground rustling the leaves in the process and get hammered with a gobble at close range. Talk about looking slowly with  trying to get my gun in the right direction all the while hoping I don't booger him........like getting caught with your pants down.....  :help:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Crotalus

Stopped wearing a watch probably 10 years ago then 4 or 5 years ago I bought a Garmin Fenix. Wear it 24-7 now.

Use it to track my hunting treks through the woods and when I am on stand I enable the text feature so I can read incoming texts without getting my phone out.

Cut N Run

Quote from: paboxcall on March 27, 2021, 12:33:55 PM
With mid day quit times, never leave camp without one. Keep watch face on the inside of my wrist so I don't need to roll my wrist to see the time set up and holding the gun.

^^^This.  All I need to do is move my eyes to check time.  I like to keep track of when I hear the first gobble and how long it takes him to get on the ground. Also like to know what time I shoot.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Sasha and Abby

I WEAR a watch daily...  it helps me keep tract of the time.

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Cut N Run on March 27, 2021, 05:22:58 PM
Quote from: paboxcall on March 27, 2021, 12:33:55 PM
With mid day quit times, never leave camp without one. Keep watch face on the inside of my wrist so I don't need to roll my wrist to see the time set up and holding the gun.

^^^This.  All I need to do is move my eyes to check time.  I like to keep track of when I hear the first gobble and how long it takes him to get on the ground. Also like to know what time I shoot.

Jim
I do that too.  I like to know when the gobbling is going on and the times I see birds.  Helps me pattern them and make plans for the next hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

WildTigerTrout

I am old fashioned and have worn a wrist watch for many years.  My phone stays in my pocket on vibrate.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

WV Flopper

To my knowledge, I have never worn a watch to the woods.

I do now carry a phone with me, full time now. It has several purposes, time, weather, mapping. I have never used a watch or time to dictate calling, have always let the situation produce the calling. Typically, by lunch time, if nothing is shaking, I have covered enough ground that I have had enough for the day.

As long as I am where I want to be before the first gobble is mouthed I am on time. When I get home is erelevant, I am doing what I love to do.

Greg Massey

Only time i wear a watch is during turkey season, it's as important as my cell phone almost..

Marc

I try not to wear a watch...  Especially if I have to be home at a certain time...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Mossberg90MN

Well looks like I'm getting a watch for Turkey season.

It is good for keeping track of first light and sunset.

Thanks fellas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

old3toe

Being a machinist for a long time at one point it was to dangerous to wear any kind of jewelry, watches, rings, or necklaces. After not wearing the stuff for a while you get used to it and now I can't even wear the stuff even sometimes. I don't miss it. If I don't have my phone I just don't know what time it is. Life is a little more peaceful that way as well. The clocks in my vehicles are usually wrong too.haha Keeps me on my toes????

THattaway

Have used a wrist watch for years for turkey hunting. To verify sitting 10 minutes after last call before moving. The results have been good.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

dah

Take a watch every hunt for a multitude of reasons , most of them already stated , shooting time is between 9:00 and 12:00 , don't want to be caught napping .

Ihuntoldschool

I don't call by my watch because turkeys don't wear watches or time their calls according to how many minutes/seconds have passed. I do wear a watch to keep track of the time and how many minutes/hours left to kill a gobbler before quitting time.

Kylongspur88

Yes. Minimizes movement and keeps me off my phone.