OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who uses a watch while hunting?

Started by Mossberg90MN, March 27, 2021, 11:12:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mossberg90MN

Curious if anyone here specifically uses a watch while hunting.

I know it sounds silly considering we have our phones in our pockets but, curious if anyone uses a watch.

I ask because I know sometimes 1 min can feel like 5 min. And 5 min can feel like 20 min.

The last thing I want, is to get get busted grabbing my phone to check.

Maybe it sounds dumb, just a thought...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

I definitely wear one and use it to judge how often to call, especially in the afternoon. Also, I usually adhere to the adage of waiting another 30 minutes when I have decided to move, not always certainly, but lots of old birds take their sweet time and come in silently. I leave my watch easily visible, just above my glove, so there's minimal movement as opposed to a smart phone. I would be afraid of walking off and leaving my phone if I had it out to tap for the time, but that's just me.

Snood Life

I wear my Garmin instinct. I like knowing the time for the pre work hunts and also knowing how far I have traveled without checking my phone.

bbcoach

Retired 9 years ago, put my watch in the drawer and it hasn't been back out.  If I need to know the time, the cell phone will be my Go To.  As far as calling, I NEVER went by the 15 minute rule.   I've NEVER killed a turkey with a watch on it's leg or a cell phone in it's feathers.

Jimspur

I always bring a watch while hunting. Sometimes I put it in the leaves beside
my left leg so I can glance down to see what time it is without moving my head. Most of the states I hunt have cut-off times of 12 or 1 o'clock.
It's useful in these circumstances and to tell you how long you've been sitting there, how long it's been since you last called, etcetera.
Using a phone is way too much movement if I'm set up.

Dtrkyman

I used too, still have my "lucky" watch somewhere, wore for about every kill of any game for 25 years.

Only time I wore a watch was hunting.

I did about have my phone cost me a bird, worked a bird all morning, roost to 8:30, he had one hen left and disappeared over a ride in the field, his hen came by and he was not with her.

I was like wth happened to him, after a few minutes I checked my phone and may have even read a few texts, I glance up and that joker was eyeballing me, all I saw was his head, I quick drew and shot em! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcw3734

Quote from: Jimspur on March 27, 2021, 11:37:31 AM
I always bring a watch while hunting. Sometimes I put it in the leaves beside
my left leg so I can glance down to see what time it is without moving my head. Most of the states I hunt have cut-off times of 12 or 1 o'clock.
It's useful in these circumstances and to tell you how long you've been sitting there, how long it's been since you last called, etcetera.
Using a phone is way too much movement if I'm set up.

This is how I use a watch as well. Although i can hunt all day, it is handy for mid-afternoon hunts were I'm calling and waiting.

Which Gun

I do predator hunting. Not so much turkey hunting.

paboxcall

With mid day quit times, never leave camp without one. Keep watch face on the inside of my wrist so I don't need to roll my wrist to see the time set up and holding the gun.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sixes

The only way I dont have a watch is if I totally forget to put it on. I've always worn a watch.

Heavy Load

Always have one as I use it to time myself and not call so much.

Dog will hunt, dog will hunt.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

fallhnt

The only times I wear a watch is hunting and mtn biking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Mountainburd

Every day all day. And I prefer a long hand. I get sick of looking at my phone constantly anyways. Any chance I get to limit that, I am happy.

captfire

I TOOK THE BAND OFF AND JUST PIN IT TO THE INSIDE OF MY VEST.

eddie234

Yes, my phone stays in my pocket in silent. If I get a text message I can read it on my watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro