turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Camo

Started by mountaineer long beard, March 26, 2021, 08:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer long beard

I'm thinking about getting some new camo,  what I have is several years old and showing some wear. Just looking for some recommendations on which patterns to look into from you turkey experts. I hunt in WV if that matters.

Also do any of you use different patterns as the season goes along? Around here the foliage in the last week is vastly different than opening day.

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tom007

I hunt Northeast mountains. I use bottomland early season, then when cover thickens, I switch to Greenleaf. Works well. Many options out there. Good luck. PS, no such thing as a turkey expert, we all learn everyday....
:wagon:

Tom

ChesterCopperpot

I tend to run the same patterns even after green up. That said, that's why I like patterns that don't incorporate much foliage or green in that those patterns will work if there's leaves or if there's not, but a pattern like mossy oak obsession for instance will stand out like a sore thumb when the green hasn't come in yet. I stick to browns. I like the older patterns like bottomland, both the original and the new, real tree original, etc. But for the most part I wear trebark up top and leafy suit britches. I like running two different things—top to blend into the tree, legs to blend into the forest floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I hunt the mountains of Northern WV. Early season we usually don't have any Greenup and I think new bottomland really does well. However it probably really doesn't matter much. Most days I am wearing anywear from 4 to 8 different patterns if you count gloves, boots and gun. Not getting caught moving is the key.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

If you wanna hang with the cool guys you need to have bottomland  now, and everything must match!

It really doesn't matter, though I do like the look of the Mossy oak patterns, I have a mix and I do wear an Obsession shirt later in the season when it warms up, also wear a non hunting pant in OD green then, more comfortable and better fit than any camo brands for me, Prana stretch zion.

And I may well have 3 patterns on at a time.

bushwhacker

Bottomland and natural gear mostly is what I wear. Although my favorite pants are woodland bdu's. I have some obsession as well. I don't worry too much about it just whatever is clean.

wvmntnhick

Having hunted WV my entire life, it won't matter what you wear. I'm sure you've had turkeys walk by in rifle season while wearing blaze orange. If you didn't move, they pass on by. Same with any and all camo. The birds don't care near as much as the hunters do. I've found myself wearing army BDU's lately. It works as well as anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squidkid

stinkpickle

My favorite camo pattern is called "whatever is on sale".

bbcoach

Since I hunt mostly pine forest and during green up, I prefer Realtree Extra Green.  Not as much black in it as MO Obsession so I don't look like a BLACK blob setting in the woods.

Turkeytider

Quote from: bbcoach on March 26, 2021, 11:58:05 AM
Since I hunt mostly pine forest and during green up, I prefer Realtree Extra Green.  Not as much black in it as MO Obsession so I don't look like a BLACK blob setting in the woods.

Realtree Xtra and this year got an Xtra Green shirt to wear a little later. But as has been said, the single most important thing is to BE STILL.

Remington700

I typically look for what is on sale. I have quite a bit of Mossy Oak Break up and Real tree Edge I wear before green up. After green up I like Mossy oak obsession and shadow leaf.
As mentioned already, sitting still is the main thing.

Gooserbat

I like most anything.  I wear a lot of Bottomland but it all works if you sit still.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Ozarks Hillbilly

South Central Missouri mostly hunting MTNF. Mossy Oak Forest Floor or Bottomland pants with Bottomland or Greenleaf shirt.  Last year after season I picked up a North Mountain gear mid weight Greenleaf hooded pullover that I will be using this season.  After green up I switch to a Mossy Oak Diffusion hooded pullover. 

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

Bottomland and obsession. But mostly bottomland
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story