OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The old argument..gloves

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 24, 2021, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Here's a dilemma. I've grown to dislike camo gloves when turkey hunting, because they kill the sound of my trumpets. There really is a tremendous difference. For the past year I've been just wiping some green or black face paint, like carbomask, on my hands to dull them. But that gets pretty aggravating when you get home and try to scrub that stuff off. I'm considering just going gloveless. In my opinion being still is paramount when turkey hunting, and if he's close enough to see my hands he's probably dead anyway. What's the consensus here? Just curious what other hunters think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wvmntnhick

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on March 24, 2021, 02:29:02 PM
Here's a dilemma. I've grown to dislike camo gloves when turkey hunting, because they kill the sound of my trumpets. There really is a tremendous difference. For the past year I've been just wiping some green or black face paint, like carbomask, on my hands to dull them. But that gets pretty aggravating when you get home and try to scrub that stuff off. I'm considering just going gloveless. In my opinion being still is paramount when turkey hunting, and if he's close enough to see my hands he's probably dead anyway. What's the consensus here? Just curious what other hunters think.

Think you answered your own question. Sit still. Won't matter. Never had a bird notice if I had camo or blaze orange. Used to use a stainless steel barreled gun too. They didn't seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake_08

I agree with you. I think unless he's nervous or unusually weary, he'll not notice your hands unless you move. I have considered going gloveless too because I hate hunting in gloves. I think you'll be fine.

Gobbler428

I agree, i run most calls, especially trumpets gloveless because I think gloves effect the sound of the call, sorta deadens it. If you have ever watched any of Mark Prudhomme's videos, he runs his trumpet with one hand when the bird gets close and no glove on that hand but he does have a glove on the gun forearm hand.

WisTurk

Only time I ever wear them is if it's really cold out in the mornings, otherwise they stay in the pocket of my vest.

ChesterCopperpot

Used to cut the palms out of my gloves. Problem is the fabric always runs and they don't last but a season or so. I think gloveless is perfectly fine.

catman529

Only reason I wear gloves is because I run a camcorder. I usually take them off to run the wingbone yelper

Ranger

Rub burnt cork over your hands. Easy and washes right off.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

CALLM2U

Quote from: WisTurk on March 24, 2021, 03:35:33 PM
Only time I ever wear them is if it's really cold out in the mornings, otherwise they stay in the pocket of my vest.

This.  I mainly hunt mountain turkeys.  If he can see my hands, it's likely right before the moment he loses consciousness. 

ManfromGreenSwamp

Don't wear them, personally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

Gobble!

Been considering giving up gloves this year myself. Not a fan of taking them off to run certain calls then trying to put them back on. Also don't want to deal with paint on my hands.

Howie g

Only wear them if it's chilly . I also hate a face mask , I'd rather just put a little Camo paint to dull my shiny face . I wear glasses and they fog with a mask !  My left hand is usually between my gun and knee when I think he is close , so it's hidden at that point .

SteelerFan

Gloves definitely mess with the sound. I think camo hides movement more than the body part. A camo gloved hand that swats a bug or reaches for a call doesn't stand out as much as a bare hand. That said, I think as long as you are aware of it and move appropriately, I think you can get away with no gloves.

That's what I'll be telling myself, anyway, this year....

Crghss

I always wear gloves. I think when you're moving first thing they'll see is your hands. I like to be well camouflaged.

I do constantly take the gloves off for calling, access phone. But I deal with it.

I very rarely sit. Only early morning or when I've located a bird.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Kygobblergetter

I haven't worn gloves in years. Birds have never seemed to notice