OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The old argument..gloves

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 24, 2021, 02:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

The Gloves, I  wear are $1 dollar a pair at the " Dollar Tree". I cut off the ends so, I  can better feel + use my Boxes + Pots. Cheap Brown Jersey Gloves they are.

Number17

I keep a bag full of charred cork and charred oak chunks with my hunting gear. It goes on quick, it's not greasy, and washes off easily.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Howie g

I only wear em if it's cold ,  they won't see your hands or face unless your moving and or set up in the sunlight .

eggshell

Here's a tip, if your using camo paint on your face or hands. Get a jar of cold cream and rub a generous coat on first. The paint will come right off later with wiping  and a light wash. Done it for years before I started wearing mask. Might go back to face paint again, i hate mask. I always wear gloves, just makes me feel better hid, but have shot birds without them in a quick set up

M,Yingling

use wear them skin tight camo gloves till i shoot one in poring rain and gun came out my front hand and kicked me in cheek lol ,,, now just rub some facepaint on top my hands fingers
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

TauntoHawk

Only wear gloves if it's cold enough to need them, never wear them for camo purpose. If they are looking at my hands they are in more trouble then I am

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gentry

If he's sees your hands without gloves you where probably moving em. With being said I wear gloves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

born2hunt

Gloves of any type definitely effect the volume of suction yelpers. If I am calling blindly trying to strike a bird I pull them off until I have located or called him to a reasonable distance. Most of the time I will then slip them back on, especially if in a less than perfect setup. For close quarters finish calling, the slight muffled effect does not matter...honestly may even help !
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Gooserbat

They will spot you every time, your going to have to start using tss so you can shoot them at 60 yards or you will never kill one again because they will bust you every time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

dublelung

I just take mine off when using a trumpet or wingbone. It definitely changes the sound when using them with gloves.  I've also killed several with no gloves on so I don't know if they're that much benefit or not but I wear them more times than not.

Muzzy61

I feel naked without my gloves and facemask.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Marc

Quote from: Muzzy61 on March 31, 2021, 01:11:11 PM
I feel naked without my gloves and facemask.

Well...  If you want a little less competition at that public spot...    Actually go naked, except for the mask and gloves and boots...  Other hunters (and people in general) will tend to give you A LOT more room.

If you take the above advice, just be a bit more cautious about ticks and ants... 
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

paboxcall

To the OP's question - gloves or no gloves using trumpet or wing bone calls...

Unless its cold, most often go without gloves until I strike a bird, then put them on. Daybreak setting up on a gobbling bird, always wear them to help blend in / cover movement.

Suction calls carry a long, long way, and turkeys can hear a long, long way. If you can hear them, they can hear you and your trumpet, even with gloves. What you think you hear 10 inches in front of your face isn't what it sounds like 150 yards away.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

WildTigerTrout

I always wear gloves of some sort.  My favorite lightweight pair are a mix of camo and thin leather, like driving gloves.  I liked them so much when I bought them years ago I bought a spare pair.  I am still on the first pair though.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

the Ward

I will usually wear a thin pair, mostly to keep ticks off my hands, and deet off my gun.