Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Call collections!

Started by Swamp, March 10, 2021, 06:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp

Alright guys as we all count down the days till our season openers let's see those call collections.  And if you dont have a so called collection let's see what you will be taking to the woods this year. Mine had dwindled down since I enlisted I currently have 2 pot calls I made back in 2013/2014 and im currently trying to add a lights out ceramic.  I also added a spring creek short box and im running a mixture of mouth calls this year.  I'll edit this with some pictures of my calls here in a bit.

ManfromGreenSwamp

My new Wittenberg long box will be here in two days, I'll carry it some but this new Dawkins Shorty will definitely be carried opening weekend here in 10days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

This Watkins will 100% be the demise of a Osceola bird or two this season with any luck.
Thinking this may be my week day carry.

-T.Farley

-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

Hopefully this Canary glass/slate Buster with JLH frogwood striker will fetch me a second helping of gobbling.

-T.Farley

-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

And I'll always, always, always carry this GS-1 by Andy Kaiser, for those that are forced to play nice with me....

That's my beginning grab bag.
Now that I've showed you mine, you have to show me yours!!!!!

-T.Farley

-B.Button

ManfromGreenSwamp

Ohhh...and I still need to carry this Mr.Williams to the woods for a breath of fresh air.

And some Fetters may very well be carried.
Or a Mann, a time or two.
Or...
Or...
Or...

-T.Farley

-B.Button

Sir-diealot

The junk is no longer on the left side of the center shelf, there are more calls there now.
GEDC2679 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Bottom Shelf Middle by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
IMG_1328 (2) by Sir-diealot, on Flickr
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 10, 2021, 09:11:41 PM
The junk is no longer on the left side of the center shelf, there are more calls there now.
You just gave me an idea of what to do with an old secretary cabinet we're about to store!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GobbleNut

Really nice call displays, guys!  I'll have to admit I can't hang with you all in terms of having a wide assortment of "collectables".  Being as how I have been doing this so long, I just have a pile of assorted calls that just seem to have shown up over the years.  I suppose some of them might be noteworthy, but I really have no idea, to tell the truth. 

The ones I value most are the ones that I have received from the friends I have made on this forum.  In fact, thinking about it, I think many of the calls I have are a result of those long-distance friendships with folks I have never laid eyes on here.  There are a lot of really good folks here on OG! 

A little disorganized at the present time, but here a pic...

Now, if you really want to know what I collect, here's a better example...   :D

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 11, 2021, 07:41:07 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on March 10, 2021, 09:11:41 PM
You just gave me an idea of what to do with an old secretary cabinet we're about to store!

That's cool, if it is antique try not to damage it though. Sorry, I am one of those that hate to see and antique bastardized, comes from having a father that had a lot of antique furniture, clocks, glass and so on. Once I can get one of these they will all go in it and the better books I own with go into the one the calls are in now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Meleagris gallopavo

Not an antique.  We were planning on putting in in storage and weren't sure what to do with it.  Thanks!

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

boomer

You guys got some nice call collections.  Really don't have any real collectable turkeys calls. Really the only thing turkey hunting collectable I got is my Bob Dixon vest. That I'm finally going to stop using it. Unless I  don't like the replacement vest.

GobbleNut those are some stud looking antelope you got on that wall. Only have gotten the chance to rifle hunt them twice and archery once here in Nebraska. Definitely a fun and frustrating animal to hunt.
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 11, 2021, 08:35:10 AM
Really nice call displays, guys!  I'll have to admit I can't hang with you all in terms of having a wide assortment of "collectables".  Being as how I have been doing this so long, I just have a pile of assorted calls that just seem to have shown up over the years.  I suppose some of them might be noteworthy, but I really have no idea, to tell the truth. 

The ones I value most are the ones that I have received from the friends I have made on this forum.  In fact, thinking about it, I think many of the calls I have are a result of those long-distance friendships with folks I have never laid eyes on here.  There are a lot of really good folks here on OG! 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 11, 2021, 08:35:10 AM

Some nice looking calls there, I truly envy you your mounts, I have only gotten the one but after losing hunting for 17 years and thinking I would never hunt again it meant the world to me but I could not get him mounted. I will have a picture of what I am doing with him before the Spring season.

John Koenig:

RiverBuck

I admire your collections.
I'm more of a buyer who immediately hits calls w sandpaper or chalk.. Actually like mouth calls the most but if they don't sound right then I give them to my boys or friends. The rest are thrown in hunting totes and collect dust.
These are my tools.
The long box is a killer and I'll bring a glass and slate pot with a few strikers that have passed the test.

GobbleNut

Quote from: RiverBuck on March 12, 2021, 07:02:26 PM
I'm more of a buyer who immediately hits calls w sandpaper or chalk.. Actually like mouth calls the most but if they don't sound right then I give them to my boys or friends. The rest are thrown in hunting totes and collect dust.

I'm right there with you.  Your mouth call comment about giving them away made me chuckle a bit. I make my own mouth calls and use them almost exclusively while hunting.  However, I am pretty particular about the sound I want to get out of a call. I make a lot of calls (too many) and end up with a pile of calls that are "just okay" but not quite good enough to suit me.

What I have started doing is putting all the calls I know I will never use in a container of mouthwash/water solution.  I have them available on hunts with friends, and tell them they can have any of them they want.  Some of the guys will dive right into the calls,...and some of them get this look of horror on their faces at the mere thought. 

It amazes me how fickle humans are.  We will go to restaurants, motels, and all sorts of places where we are using things other people have had in their mouths or doing gawd-knows-what, but yet, the thought of using a disinfected mouth call that somebody else had in their mouth at some point makes a turkey hunter cringe.  Go figure....   ;D