North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Call collections!

Started by Swamp, March 10, 2021, 06:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 13, 2021, 08:08:07 AM
Quote from: RiverBuck on March 12, 2021, 07:02:26 PM
I'm more of a buyer who immediately hits calls w sandpaper or chalk.. Actually like mouth calls the most but if they don't sound right then I give them to my boys or friends. The rest are thrown in hunting totes and collect dust.

I'm right there with you.  Your mouth call comment about giving them away made me chuckle a bit. I make my own mouth calls and use them almost exclusively while hunting.  However, I am pretty particular about the sound I want to get out of a call. I make a lot of calls (too many) and end up with a pile of calls that are "just okay" but not quite good enough to suit me.

What I have started doing is putting all the calls I know I will never use in a container of mouthwash/water solution.  I have them available on hunts with friends, and tell them they can have any of them they want.  Some of the guys will dive right into the calls,...and some of them get this look of horror on their faces at the mere thought. 

It amazes me how fickle humans are.  We will go to restaurants, motels, and all sorts of places where we are using things other people have had in their mouths or doing gawd-knows-what, but yet, the thought of using a disinfected mouth call that somebody else had in their mouth at some point makes a turkey hunter cringe.  Go figure....   ;D
I guess folks don't think about silverware because it's an accepted norm.  Plus, silverware, plates, glasses, cups etc are normally washed according to certain standards in restaurants and that process requires some heat.  Those surfaces are easier to clean too because there are no nooks, crannies or absorbent materials that can trap and protect germs from disinfestants. But I'm no germaphobe by a long shot.  I'd probably use one of your disinfested mouth calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on March 13, 2021, 08:21:30 AM
I guess folks don't think about silverware because it's an accepted norm.  Plus, silverware, plates, glasses, cups etc are normally washed according to certain standards in restaurants and that process requires some heat.  Those surfaces are easier to clean too because there are no nooks, crannies or absorbent materials that can trap and protect germs from disinfestants.

This is true, but I have been to a restaurant or two where the condition of said utensils made me doubt that those "certain standards" were being adhered to!   ;D

Totally agree on the "nooks, crannies, and absorbent materials" part, as well.  However, I figure if those calls are being soaked in disinfectant for days, if not weeks, then most of those places will be reached by the time someone decides to chance it.   :D

Swamp

Here is what I currently have one hand. Spring creek half moon a slat and glass that u made and a hand full of mouth calls trying to figure out what works best for me

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

Here's the yelpers anyhow. Unfortunately I live in an 800sq/ft house and ain't got anywhere to display everything right now. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rakkin6

Quote from: Swamp on March 10, 2021, 06:47:16 PM
Alright guys as we all count down the days till our season openers let's see those call collections.  And if you dont have a so called collection let's see what you will be taking to the woods this year. Mine had dwindled down since I enlisted I currently have 2 pot calls I made back in 2013/2014 and im currently trying to add a lights out ceramic.  I also added a spring creek short box and im running a mixture of mouth calls this year.  I'll edit this with some pictures of my calls here in a bit.
When did you enlist and in what branch? Just retired from the Army after 23 years and my calls have increased a lot.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

Pot calls from left to right top to bottom are Brad Roberts, Jimmy Schaffer, Lonzo Trice, Mike Yingling, Halloran, Mark Cunningham, Chad Remenaric, Dawkins, Chris Brumfiel, woodhaven, gooserbat, primos, loftis, stumpy

Box calls from left to right

Primos, Jeff McKamey longbox, TJ Johnson longbox, TJ Johnson Fiddle box, Chris Brumfiel, Matt Fulkerson Hen Box, Jeff White, Halloran and Woodhaven

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

rakkin6

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 13, 2021, 05:45:25 PM
Pot calls from left to right top to bottom are Brad Roberts, Jimmy Schaffer, Lonzo Trice, Mike Yingling, Halloran, Mark Cunningham, Chad Remenaric, Dawkins, Chris Brumfiel, woodhaven, gooserbat, primos, loftis, stumpy

Box calls from left to right

Primos, Jeff McKamey longbox, TJ Johnson longbox, TJ Johnson Fiddle box, Chris Brumfiel, Matt Fulkerson Hen Box, Jeff White, Halloran and Woodhaven

Didn't realize this was on the Team Hunting thread. I don't have a team this year didn't mean to be rude. I was on a team last year but hunt federal land (A U.S. Army Base) and due to Covid they shut down the base last year to hunting. If anybody is looking for another team member I would be happy to join in. I live one mile across the state border from Kentucky in Tennessee and gained access to farms in Kentucky, Tennessee and Fort Campbell this year all within about 10 miles or so of my house. So if I tagged out on all three spots that is 7 birds this year within a 20 minute drive. Just let me know.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Swamp

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 13, 2021, 05:28:56 PM
Alright guys as we all count down the days till our season openers let's see those call collections.  And if you dont have a so called collection let's see what you will be taking to the woods this year. Mine had dwindled down since I enlisted I currently have 2 pot calls I made back in 2013/2014 and im currently trying to add a lights out ceramic.  I also added a spring creek short box and im running a mixture of mouth calls this year.  I'll edit this with some pictures of my calls here in a bit.
When did you enlist and in what branch? Just retired from the Army after 23 years and my calls have increased a lot.

I enlisted in 2014 and went into the Marines.

rakkin6

Quote from: Swamp on March 13, 2021, 06:53:40 PM

Nice man, stick it out if you can retirement is nice. Are you stationed in NC at Lejuene or Cherry Point? Just saw on your profile it said North Carolina.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Swamp

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 13, 2021, 06:55:10 PM
Quote from: Swamp on March 13, 2021, 06:53:40 PM

Nice man, stick it out if you can retirement is nice. Are you stationed in NC at Lejuene or Cherry Point? Just saw on your profile it said North Carolina.

Lejeune first time ive been stationed out here got out here in like June or July of 20

rakkin6

Yeah believe it or not I spent about 21 of my years on the same base Fort Campbell, Ky on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. Just worked out that way with my MOS.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Swamp

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 13, 2021, 06:58:37 PM
Yeah believe it or not I spent about 21 of my years on the same base Fort Campbell, Ky on the Tennessee/Kentucky border. Just worked out that way with my MOS.

Must be nice lol I was in CA for my first 5.5 years im originally from TN Fort Cambell  has some Giants running around on it

rakkin6

Yes it does have taken some.nice deer and turkey here. I acquired some farms in Hopkinsville, Ky and here in Clarksville to hunt this year also. So including the Fort Campbell birds I can get 7 this year. I literally live one mile across the border in Tennessee. Where in Tennessee are you from? I am originally from East Tennessee but I am staying here in Clarksville.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Swamp

Quote from: rakkin6 on March 13, 2021, 07:04:17 PM
Yes it does have taken some.nice deer and turkey here. I acquired some farms in Hopkinsville, Ky and here in Clarksville to hunt this year also. So including the Fort Campbell birds I can get 7 this year. I literally live one mile across the border in Tennessee. Where in Tennessee are you from? I am originally from East Tennessee but I am staying here in Clarksville.

I'm from Carthage

rakkin6

I am from over towards Oak Ridge, little town named Wartburg over by Brushy Mountain State Prison and Catoosa

DE OPPRESSO LIBER