OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your first Turkey gun, do you still have it, or wish you still had it?

Started by Tom007, February 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Fun little thread. What was your first turkey gun, do you still have it, or wish you had it. I'll start. Mine was a Remington 1100 Magnum with 30 inch full choked  barrel.  Shot 3 inch Remington Duck/Pheasant loads #4 for turkey. Took my first gobbler with it in 1982.  I sold it in late 80's and yes for sure, I wish I still had it.

Dtrkyman

I killed my first bird with an 835, nothing at all I miss about that cannon!  Carry a 5.5 lb 2 ga now!

Bedge7767

My first turkey gun was a Mossberg 9200. That thing would jam after every shot. Took it to 3 gunsmiths and never could get it fixed. Sold it and bought a Browning and never looked back.
Jim

Easy81

Sometime around 25 years ago I bought a used 835 .
It's the only gun I've ever had for turkeys.  It's not pretty, but it's a killer, has never let me down.
Just topped it a couple weeks ago with a FF 3 to help my aging eyes.  The only gun I own that I consider sentimental.  I'd feel guilty replacing it.

btomlin

My 1st turkey gun was my 1st gun.  It is a 20ga Coast to Coast master mag 28" full choke(Mossberg 500). I killed my 1st everything with it...turkey, deer, pheasant, quail, etc.  Got it when I turned 12.  I cracked the pistol grip part of the stock shooting deer slugs one year, so I had it fixed and it is pretty much retired in the safe.   Lots of memories.....

tha bugman

I don't have it, and it doesn't bother me that I do t have it now.  I got Ol Gal shortly afterwards and me and her are doing just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

No and no. First dedicated turkey gun was a Winchester 1300 with a laminated stock. Lightweight and short barrel, but kicked a bit. Was not particularly well made.

Hwd silvestris

My old mans Remington 1100.  Had a krylon paint job and received a fresh coat every spring.   Probably killed my first 5 or 6 turkeys with it.  I then saved my Christmas money, chore money and my lunch money as a kid (around 1992) and bought a 835 ulti-mag.  I call it "The Mule".   It's a very finicky gun that doesnt pattern most loads well but when I finally found the load (federal #6's), it would eat.  Federal started putting flight control wads and had to go back to the drawing board.  I just about give up on it and bought another gun and choke.  It didn't pattern well either.  I went back to the mule and changed some things up.  Still use it.  I just give it a good bath and cleaned it up.  Killed a lot of turkeys with.  I will probably have it in my casket when I'm laid in the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Mine was really all around duck and turkey gun. I still have the gun A 5 Browning.

bigriverbum

Quote from: Bedge7767 on February 23, 2021, 03:58:12 PM
My first turkey gun was a Mossberg 9200. That thing would jam after every shot. Took it to 3 gunsmiths and never could get it fixed. Sold it and bought a Browning and never looked back.

my first turkey gun(and duck/pheasant/rabbit/squirrel) was a black synthetic stock browning bps with 24" barrel. had ducks engraved on one side and pheasant on the other. i've taken it to 3 gunsmiths in the last 5 years and it's been relegated to a single shot for now. i'll never part with it

nitro

1978. My Grandad's Model 12 Heavy Duck. 2 3/4 " WW Super X 1.5 oz #6s.

Still own the gun.
Royal Slam 2008

guesswho

Killed my first turkey in 1966 with a Revelation bolt action 410, still have the gun.  Killed my first longbeard in 1967 with a Winchester model 37 20 gauge, still have it as well.  In fact I plan on killing my first turkey this year with that same gun.  My Dad took a breast feather from that first gobbler back in 1967 and put it in that hole that is under the butt plate, I plan on adding another in a few weeks.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

Mine was an 870 I got about 1980/81, I still have it, was used for that purpose til the 11-87 came out in 87, (still have that gun too and my daughter has killed birds with it) it's now been changed to a slug gun.

Bowguy

Quote from: guesswho on February 23, 2021, 06:38:11 PM
Killed my first turkey in 1966 with a Revelation bolt action 410, still have the gun.  Killed my first longbeard in 1967 with a Winchester model 37 20 gauge, still have it as well.  In fact I plan on killing my first turkey this year with that same gun.  My Dad took a breast feather from that first gobbler back in 1967 and put it in that hole that is under the butt plate, I plan on adding another in a few weeks.
Very cool

bammerslammer 50

Cool thread. Mine was an 870 express mag with a 21 in barrel i bought in a pawn shop the day i turned 18. I didnt have any interest in turkey hunting then. I started turkey hunting after I got out of the millitary. I set that gun up and used it for a few seaons. Finally killing my first bird with it. I traded it to my brother for a super mag. I got it back in another trade after he had it dipped in bottomland. It wont leave my possession again untill my son is ready for it.