OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your first Turkey gun, do you still have it, or wish you still had it?

Started by Tom007, February 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElkTurkMan

1987, I took my first turkey with My dad's Model 12  12guage with a full choke barrel.   When he passed in 2008, I inherited that gun.  I want to say that it only shoots three inch shells, I need to pull It out of the safe and look. Anyway One of these years I am going to take it for  walk in the woods again, and hopefully take a bird with it.  .   

Howie g

1979 I think ?  Fox double barrel 20 ga . It was my grand pas gun , he killed tons of game with it .
I think one of my cousins ended up with it .  I've owned many since then .over / unders mostly

Cut N Run

Mine was an Ithaca 37R (solid rib) 2.75 inch chamber I bought used in 1980. Killed a bunch of ducks with it (before steel shot requirement) and killed my first turkey in 1991.  Gun was stolen when my house was broken in to.  Wish I still had it and I wish that d@mn thief was in range.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Tom007

vt35mag

Mossberg 600 (not a typo) country squire. 
Should get it out and shoot another gobbler with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: vt35mag on February 23, 2021, 07:21:47 PM
Mossberg 600 (not a typo) country squire. 
Should get it out and shoot another gobbler with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wow, never saw one. If you can, post a pic.

Happy

Yup. An 835 mossy. Still use it to this day. We been at this for around 20 years now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

MO_HUNTER

In 96 I bought an 835 Ulti Mag in woodland ofm camo. Saved up my turkey egg pickin, hay haulin and milkin money! I had to work, so my mom offered to go to Bass Pro and pick it up for me. They were on sale and I didn't want to miss out... I got home after work and mom had the box on the table. I originally sent her after a Mossberg 500.... she told me they didn't have any of the 500s and said they gave her a rain check for me to pick one up at a later date. We'll, the question I had was, what's in the box on the table. I opened it up and it was the 835 I wanted (but didn't have the money for) they were actually selling them at the sale price of the 500 so mom grabbed it and told me if I didn't like it she could take it back.
No need! It was the one I wanted in the first place and I just happened to luck out that day.

Me and "Ma Bell" have been together ever since. Haven't shot a 3.5" shell out of it since I was 18... too much kick for me!

Hoosier2

My grandpa gave me his old 835 goose gun once he gave up chasin em. Got it when I was 12 I'm now 32 and I will never replace it. Few years back I tried to build an 870 20 gauge for a run n gun setup. Patterned that little 20 ga with 2 shots with federal heavyweight #7 3" and was not thrilled with the pattern at 30 yards. Even bought a sumtoy choke and a lotta y'all have proven it to be a deadly turkey gun. But I just couldn't get a pattern with it. Gonna throw a fast fire on it this year and try tss. But I couldn't get federal ammo, had to buy em in Illinois( I'm from Indiana) at Dunn's so I only had 3 rounds to turkey hunt after my 2 pattern rounds left little to be desired but I was perfectly fine with my 20 yard shot when I patterned. Had a bird come walk past and actually brushed my blind. Came in totally silent and heard something hit the blind thinking it was a squirrel, peaked out and I could grab him by the snood unbelievable encounter. I let that bird work past towards my decoys at 20 yards. Kaboom. I let her rip. Birds still standing. Kaboom. Birds still standing now he's walking away. One final KABOOM. bird just keeps walking and I sit there in complete awe that I just fired 3 rounds at a bird and he didn't flinch. Found all 3 of my wads too. To this day I will only carry that trusty 835 and those big ol shells. I have killed 20 birds with that gun and it means something fierce to me. Every time I take a bird it makes me think of all the memories I've had with my grandpa and all he taught me to be an outdoorsman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozarks Hillbilly

First dedicated Turkey gun was a Stevens single shot 36" full choke barrel "Long Tom" 3" Remington Nitro Mag #4 copper plated lead. Killed on one end crippled on the other. Lost it in house fire in my late teens.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yoder409

Killed my first several birds with a Winchester 1200 and 2 3/4" shells.  It was my shotgun.  Not a "turkey gun" per se.

My first dedicated turkey gun was a BPS 10 gauge.  Got it the 2nd year they were out.

I still have both guns.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Chad Gus715

My first turkey gun was mossberg 835 ulti-mag, bought new from gander mountain. Patterned nice, but 6 inches high and 6 inches left, after missing my 8th or ninth turkey, i traded it straight up for a plain Jane 870. Best trade I've ever made, I've got zero desire to ever get it back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

Still got it, first gobbler 40+ years ago in Northern Michigan and latest last May in Minnesota. 1938 Model 12

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

mcw3734

Mossberg 500.

First turkey and firearms deer. Still have it because of the rifled slug barrel on the off chance I apply for one of Idaho's short-range weapon hunts. If not for that, I would have sold it years ago.

spiggy2

My first gun was a Remington 870, with gobble dot iron sights on it and an ati tactical stock. Loved it, even thought it was heavy. Lost it about a month ago when my car got stolen, so who knows where it's now. But my first shotgun and will be building another one just like it this summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux