Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your first Turkey gun, do you still have it, or wish you still had it?

Started by Tom007, February 23, 2021, 03:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on February 23, 2021, 08:05:50 PM
Still got it, first gobbler 40+ years ago in Northern Michigan and latest last May in Minnesota. 1938 Model 12

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Cool gun

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on February 23, 2021, 08:05:50 PM
Still got it, first gobbler 40+ years ago in Northern Michigan and latest last May in Minnesota. 1938 Model 12

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Sweet!!!  My Grandfather always had one hanging on his wall.  I would have loved to had that gun.  I'm happy to say it is still in the family, just not at my house.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Cowboy

I didn't own the gun but mine was a A5 Browning Belgium. Smooth bore slug barrel and all. I shot my first gobbler in 1988 at the age of 16. It belongs to my Dad and it will be passed on to me and then I'll pass it on to my grandson one day. It's still in the family.

kytrkyhntr

My dad got me a youth mossy 500 20 gauge for Christmas when I was 8 years old. Killed my first long beard that spring with it. About age 11 my dad bought me a comp n choke for it for my birthday. (He had one in his 870) and buddy you couldn't tell me anything. I was a turkey hunting fool. I love that gun. I cleaned it up the other day and actually have considered using it this year. Can't wait to pass it to a son of my own one day.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

GobbleNut

Winchester model 12 in 20 gauge.  Fixed full choke barrel.  Killed my first spring gobbler in '69 with it.  Not knowing any better, I shot him out of the air at 40 yards flying away from me with 2 3/4" high brass lead 4's as I recall.  I would never consider such a shot nowadays, even with the much better guns, chokes, and loads available.  Knocked him right out of the sky with a single shot on that day, though. 

Still have that gun, and have added 12 and 16 gauge model 12's to the collection since then, as well.  Haven't shot any of them in probably three decades now. 

Remington700

My very first turkey killer was a Remington 11-87. Got rid of it to jump on the 3.5 band wagon. Got a Browning Gold Hunter turkey model. Killed several with that gun as well.

WildTigerTrout

My first gun was a H&R "Topper" 20 ga. single shot.  I hunted everything with it. I no longer have it. I wish I did though.  My first dedicated turkey specific shotgun was a Remington 870 Super Magnum soon after they hit the market.  I don't have that one anymore either but I have another 870 SM similar to it.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

RutnNStrutn

My first turkey gun was my original 870. Still have it, and still use it from time to time. That's a gun sock covering it. Old school.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Spyderman

I got a Mossberg 835 for Christmas in high school. Still have it, and it's killed a bird about every year since then (about 20 years) with only a few exceptions.

MK M GOBL

My first gun I used to kill a turkey no, that was a 870. The first gun I made for turkey YES! about 4 years after I decided to build a dedicated turkey gun, my REM 11-87 12 ga and still have it, hunt it every year! Going on 26 year with it.

MK M GOBL

5arraquiver

My first turkey gun was my Dads 20 gauge 870 wing master with modified barrel.  I still have that gun. Haven't shot turkeys with it for 25 plus years but a lot of doves and quail.
Questions? Answer: Jesus

Bridger

I still hunt with the factory camo 835 ulti-mag I bought in '88 or '89.  I took many birds with it as it came then later added an Indian Creek choke and Gobble Stopper rifle type sights.  Shoots great patterns.

A couple of years ago I bought a Mossberg camo 535 20 inch barrel with pistol grip stock.  It has the same sights as the 835 but I also have a vortex red dot mounted to the factory rail. Lighter and 4 inches shorter than the 835. Carlson's choke on this one.

Great thread!

ShootingABN!

Late 80's. Treebark green. Mossberg 500 28" fixed modified barrel. 3" Winchester Super XX #6 copper plated shot (25 in a box). Penn Woods super raspy 3 mouth call. My fathers gun, he still has it.
I got a Remington 870 express magnum turkey special soon after. I still have. The a Charles Daly Maxi Mag because the 3.5" was cool... Which is my go to gun.... Shooting Nitro heavyshot 4x5x7.... Patterns and shells have come a loooooong way.

Tom007