turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal "Turkey Thug"?

Started by the Ward, February 09, 2013, 10:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

I was in walmart yesterday checking out what they had for ammo and saw these.They were 12 gauge 3" 1 7/8 lead.Had them in 5 and 6 shot.Never had heard of them before.wonder if they're just strut shocks in a different box?They were 9.99 a box.Mite have to give them a whirl for that price!Anybody have any info on them?

camodawg

I saw them in walmart also. They had them in 3" and 3 1/2" #5's and #6. I couldn't find anywhere on the box that said if they were flight control wads or not. 

BrowningGuy88

the Ward

Yea probably are  strut shocks with new packaging.I couldn't tell from the box if it had the flite control wad either.Thanks for the replies!

Deputy 14

If anyone buys some cut one open and see. Would be a nice find if they don't have the FCW.

gaswamp

Quote from: Deputy 14 on February 09, 2013, 11:45:05 PM
If anyone buys some cut one open and see. Would be a nice find if they don't have the FCW.

no fcw

devin4484

ya they are just strut shok in new packaging.

2much2loud

Has anybody had any luck patterning them?

appalachianstruttstopper

I have a mosseberg 535 with 20" barrel and factory X Factor choke and they shot similar to the Winchester grey box 1 7/8 #6 copper. Winchester #6's put an average of 100 pellets on a sheet of printer paper @ 40yds, and the lead Federal 1 7/8 #6's   put an average of 90 pellets @ 40yds. They have a standard pedal type wad, not the FCW. They performed exactly like I expected to comparing buffered lead to copper coated buffered lead.

darn2ten

Tested the 3-1 7/8-6 strut shok last year. With a polished 24" barrel charles daly maxi mag with a JH .660 the best it put up at a lasered 40 was 141 in the 10". Two other shots were in the low to mid 130's. I was very happy with that!

surehuntsalot

anybody know if the 20ga is the same price as the 12

guess I'll be going to wally world
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 13, 2013, 09:17:48 PM
anybody know if the 20ga is the same price as the 12

guess I'll be going to wally world
I don't believe federal makes a strut shok for 20. Still the best federal lead shell is their wing shok pheasant 3-1.25-6 copper plate buffered without flight control wad. If your 20 shoots FCW good, I would shoot the 20 mag shok lead #6's.

surehuntsalot

was in my local wally world the other night and I saw the turkey thug ammo behind the counter and they had 20ga
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ericjames

Quote from: devin4484 on February 10, 2013, 01:59:06 PM
ya they are just strut shok in new packaging.

I saw on another forum where they cut one of each open and the turkey thug had more powder and buffer than the strut shok, I will look for it and post what they said about it

ericjames

This came from a respected sorce they cut one of each open - This is a Qoute  from the other forum!

guys i had a bud get some of this ammo and he came over 2nite and we cut the tops off and......

TURKEY THUGS : 3" : powder 49.2 : buffer 17.0 : 1 7/8 #6's lead shot 1.894.oz : fps 1210

THE BLUE BOX : 3" : powder 36.5 : buffer (very little) : 1 7/8 #6's lead shot 1.880 : fps 1210

both had same wad cup but the blue box shells had a higher Gas Seal , hull and primers same.

powder looked the same. we will shoot them in a few weeks.