turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal "Turkey Thug"?

Started by the Ward, February 09, 2013, 10:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushwhacker

At my local wal mart they have this ammo in 20 gauge with 1.25 oz #5 shot only. I would have bought some had they had it in 6's. $9.99 for 12 or 20 gauge.

appalachianstruttstopper

Quote from: surehuntsalot on February 14, 2013, 10:33:48 PM
was in my local wally world the other night and I saw the turkey thug ammo behind the counter and they had 20ga

Cool, I'm gonna hafta check em out. My Walmart don't have'em yet, and I was looking on federal's website and didn't see them. I wanna try them in my compact 870 20ga.

ericjames

All I am gonna say about the turkey thugs in the 3.5-2-6 is the 1 shell I shot was the best pattern I have ever had from lead @ 40 yards. But before I talk to good about them I wanna shoot at least 2 more to make sure that all of them shoot like the first one did , if they do I will go back and buy the rest of the 3.5" #6's they have..

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I looked at them a little while ago.  $9.99 per box of 10.

Buffered Lead Shot, Not Copper-Plated (Just Like Remington Nitro Turkey), but in a Federal Hull and Federal Wad.

I hate the Remington Nitros, but I hope the Federals shoot good.  Please tell me they do.

the Ward

Yikes!Did you guys see the post over on the turkey gun forum?Wad stuck in barrel, powder loooked to have oil in it!I picked up a box the other day in 5# 12 gauge,haven't shot them yet hope they go off!       

ericjames

I didn't see the nothing about it but they went boom out of my gun. I will go ahead and post the pic once I get it off my phone. I didn't want to until I shot them a few more times. But they patterned very well in my 835

the Ward

Looking forward to the pattern  pics.Can't wait to get out to do some shooting myself!Just been too windy when i did have time to go out.Don't mind shooting in the cold but i absolutly hate trying to shoot in the wind!

ericjames

Well folks here it is I wasn't gonna post this until I shot them again because the count seemed kinda high but anyway here they are @40 yards out of a 24" 835 with a pure gold .670. I could not find what I normally mark the circle with so I had to find something else and the circle came out to 10.25" ...This was a 3.5-2-6 load

Tom Foolery

Not cool about the wet powder or whatever caused the misfire on the turkey guns board.  That said, ericjames, that is one heck of a pattern!  Looks like I will have to pick up a couple boxes.

ericjames

I wanna shoot a few more to see if this was a fluke or something but if I shoot 2 more and they shoot like this , my local walmart will have a ammo shortage on the turkey thugs because I will go buy every box they have. Now I will say this is 1/4" bigger circle so that's makes up for a few pellets but that's all I could find to mark it with

SumToy

They are OLD SCHOOL.  :z-winnersmiley:  We have a good load for the smaller bore guns now.  We test fired one today.  Looks good at 40. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

ericjames

what kind of numbers did you get William or did you count

SumToy

We did not count them. The wind was way to high to really see a good number count.  It was a new choke lay out also.  We had a 665 in the SBE with 3inch 5's.  It will roll him at 40.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

mightyjoeyoung

William, what choke style and dimensions would you recommend with the 20 gauge strut shok/thug 6s in a TC Encore pro hunter?
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

If I see some locally, I may give a box a try just to shoot something different.  Those Plain Lead 6's might be a good experiment for my GT .650 choke.