OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

advice on osceola

Started by Rokhal07, June 12, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokhal07

Any specific advice on osceolas? I have killed plenty of rios, eastern and merriams but am FINALLY booked on a osceola hunt for '13 and i am excited. thanks in advance for any advice

deerhunt1988

Not really much different than hunting other species. They just generally inhabit swampier terrain. Some say they gobble less, but that has definitely not been the case in my experiences. The majority of gobblers we encounter there do tend to roost over some type of water. They love roosting in cypress domes.

Mark K

If you've "booked" a hunt just shoot when the guide tells you to.

jshively

Quote from: Mark K on June 13, 2012, 05:02:39 PM
If you've "booked" a hunt just shoot when the guide tells you to.

I am pretty sure that Rokhal07 was talking about booking a turkey hunt - not a turkey shoot.  Your comment comes off as a little rude.  Sounds as thought the guy is excited to finally hunt osceolas - I would be as well.  If you have something productive to add - great.  Otherwise - I think you know the rest.

dirt road ninja

:welcomeOG:

I've never hunted them either. If and when I do the only thing I plan to different is bring more water and a extra therma cell. Good luck on your hunt.

shadetree callers

Tagging an Osceola requires a little more patience than some sub-species . They do gobble good in the mornings but when they go quiet , the best choice is to wait them out . Alot of them will come in silent but on the search so sit still , keep your eyes open , shoot straight . Use a blind if possible .Have a great trip !

gobbler336

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 13, 2012, 04:34:51 PM
Not really much different than hunting other species. They just generally inhabit swampier terrain. Some say they gobble less, but that has definitely not been the case in my experiences. The majority of gobblers we encounter there do tend to roost over some type of water. They love roosting in cypress domes.

my thoughts exactly, just another turkey, what makes him unique is his enviornment.

Mark K

I am quite aware of what he wrote, I can read! Every Osceola hunt I've looked at said guaranteed shot at adult bird...hence the shoot when your guide tells you to. If he's booked a hunt then he should be on private ground which according to what I've read on this site should really up the odds as well. After all, it's the pressure of the thousands of hunters that flock to Florida's public land that make the Osceola one of the toughest to take. The bird is still a turkey and if they were as plentiful as the eastern then everyone would have taken one.

BTW, what did you add that was productive to this?? Other than attempting to butt in to someones post??

Trust me, if I had a couple grand to book a hunt I would!! And when the guide said shoot, I'd shoot!!

Rokhal07

Thanks for most of the responses. Ive hunted and killed on public and private guided and unguided hunts for the other sunspecies and like most everyone else have had good and bad luck both ways. Just wondering if there were any differences other than the obvious "common knowledge". If nothing else at least I know when to shoot now.

Mark K

Rokhal07

Its a guy southwest of orlando. Semi guided not a "tie one up for you" kind of deal.

Mark K

Swamprunner

I went this year unguided and 4 of us killed. I hunt swamp easterns in SC, so it was not all that different. The best advice I got was to "hunt em like you hunt a turkey". Some of em have these.

Mark K

Gut_Pile

Dang what a set of spurs!
Proud Member of The Tenth Legion Since 2004