turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

advice on osceola

Started by Rokhal07, June 12, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I've hunted Easterns in similar habitat. The Osceola is a different bird if you get down in FL well below that line the NWTF pulled out of the air. They're harder to pick out of the shadows because they are darker and skinnier. If they are slipping in and standing tall, well you know how that goes...
I've seen jennies that looked like they were the size of chickens. They eat more corn out of backyards. If you call to them in the tree, they're more apt to stay up there on into the day. Folks say they fly down later. I think its just that it takes longer to see the ground well down in a swamp. They seem to gobble at a lower frequency to carry further in the swamp. That makes them seem quieter. Oh, and when a flock of hens gets upland I think they make more noise than Easterns scratching in leaves. I base that on having them feed around me while up a tree in the fall. Easterns are quiet in comparison.

Rokhal07

Thanks Mark K. and thanks for the spurs pic swamprunner thats what gets me going. Howl thats the kind of info im after..stuff I wouldnt think of not having hunted in Fla before. I appreciate that

Old Gobbler

Most situations involving Florida turkey hunting in the true Osceola core range - is flat like a pancake

that being said - the gobblers have a tendency to sit up on the roost and gobble and gobble then shut up when the hit the ground {most of the time} this is a issue cause they are on the roost and can see you move in on them from a mile away , and when they hit the ground , you have no idea where they are or if they are even coming or going - some terrain is wide open like cattle country and your hunt is about done by 8 oclock in the morning if you hunting wide open terrain and too far

Best thing in this situation is to roost the birds and try and situate yourself  the next morning with the vantage point of knowing what general area the gobbler is roosted , you dont want to be in a situation where the sun comes up.... the gobbler is 800 yards away across a cow pasture or opening on top of a 80 foot tall pine tree  , he is hot and gobbling , and gobbling , you cannot close in on any gobbler in this situation , you want to be with in reasonably close calling distance n the morning , and that will require you to do some roosting every afternoon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Rokhal07

good advice old gobbler. part of the roosting is gonna be on the guide i guess for the first morning anyway

Tarponnut

Osceolas live in all kinds of terrain, from creek bottoms to ridgetops. I've hunted them in places miles from the nearest swamp(they do like water though,diches,ponds,creeks,etc.).
They do tend to be less vocal than Easterns. The best bet is to wait them out. I've had them come in silently at noon to my decoy set.
FYI, a lot of guided hunts are semi-guided, which usually means you just have access to a property, the rest is on you.Good luck.

outdoors

:fud:   Everything that I`ve read hear is * * * spot on * * *  :OGani:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

TURKEYWHACKER

As stated earlier, public land can be tough because of hunter pressure. My best advice is to try to hunt the harder to reach areas. Wading through swamps, long treks across palmetto flats or even water access. Last year a buddy and I hunted a non-quota WMA and came in by boat. We did not hear another hunter and headed back to the boat on the opener with a bird slung over both our shoulders. I couldn't make it the next morning due to a family emergency but my buddy finished up his season by 10:00am with gobbler #2. Good luck.  :icon_thumright:

BigGobbler

Hunt the last part of the season. Pressure is low if any and still plenty of gobbling birds.

agturkey

Fill your vest full of free oranges!  Eat local shrimp and oysters!  Turkey hunt hard some come easier than others!  Take the best light weight optics you can get.  Use the most realistic decoys you can.  Have something in your vest to cut with to use natural plants for blind material.  Buy good waterproof comfortable boots.  Thermacell can be a must at times.  Don't be afraid to focus on a bird vs all the birds....you will find a lot of gobblers that tend to use certain field open areas at exact times and they tend to like the middle so don't be afraid to have to shoot a little longer distance spend time with your gun before you go.  I think the biggest challenge is the terrain being you will not know it very well.  Listen to your guide!  They are there more than you are so put faith in them if you did your research before you booked it.  Never hunted any other ground but private and it was a friends ranch no guides etc just KY boys turkey hunting in FL....Watch/scout/hunt the most you can while you are there and you will be find....it's not the bang that makes the hunt!

lonnie sneed jr.

patience and more patience I would love to go back someday. Good luck

:OGturkeyhead:

pogo

Great advice so far!  I live in south-central Florida so most of my birds are Osceola's, although I do try to get at least one Eastern each year as well.  Having said that, my advice is this: don't forget to enjoy yourself while you are here.  Don't get so caught up in the whole idea of having to kill because you traveled XXXX miles and paid $XXXX.  You will be in a great area I'm sure, and your guide or landowner will give you some good tips.  And you are a good turkey hunter already, you will do fine, Osceola's are still turkeys afterall.  But this part of Florida is too beautiful and the Osceola's are too majestic not to notice and appreciate all that is going on around you.  Take time to smell the orange blossoms, get lots of good photos, ask questions, look around, eat at local restaurants, learn about the local, and go home with some good stories, not just the fan and long spurs :)  You will get one.

Rokhal07

Thanks for the encouragement! Its gettin closer and closer

saltysenior

find and keep a buckeye in your pocket....it 's an easy way to get around all this complicated mess...... :mask:

birdyhunter

In my experience if you strike a bird early and he's hot but goes quiet shortly after......keep your butt still. They tend not to be very vocal after fly down. Also the terrain can make it hard to move on birds so make sure you are familiar with the area and know where you can move and where you can't. Often times you will find yourself on the wrong side of a swamp or thicket with no way around.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2