OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting after C5-C7 ACDF surgery

Started by Hooksnhorns, July 15, 2020, 02:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fl panhandler

I've had 3-4 and 5-6 done. After following all the drs. orders till they both released me, I haven't had any problems shooting a 3" 870 with the old nitro ammo. Never had any problems. I did put limbsaver recoil pads on all my turkey guns. Since I got a pacemaker last year, no more swapping shoulders for me either. I am going to try an 870 3" 20ga with Tss  and an IC .555 choke next year.  I'm hoping it will make safe queens out of my 1100 and 870 12 ga magnums.
Rick

Jmbradt3873

I second bbcoach, I had L4 through S1 fused after breaking my back on the ambulance. I switched to the 20 with tungsten shot. I dropped from 3006 to a 6.5 creedmoor for deer. They work, I just don't have all the recoil, I was told by my surgeon "if you tear out the screws and plates I might not be able to fix it again", you know what I believed him. The year after I had it done, I sold that 3006 and hit the woods with an AR, dropped a 200 lb 8 point in his tracks in Ga at a hair over 150 yds. Took it as a sign that smaller will work, just not as far.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Hooksnhorns

Thank y'all for the input and get well wishes and prayers. It means a lot and I believe in the power of prayer. Like a few of y'all, I had L4-S1 fused also back in 2017 and I still have a lot of trouble with it. Dr says that scar tissue is on the nerve that is causing the pain in my butt cheeks, groin and down legs. I hope this one in my neck does better than that one did. I'm gonna ask Dr about it n see what he suggests. If I need to downsize, I'll do it. Again, thank y'all for the input on this.

Mitch Hallman
Don't Tread On Me

silvestris

Mitch, you have to follow your doctor's instructions.  It was easy for me as my doctor was my first cousin and we have talked 2 or 3 times a day for years.  He has caught me with a TIA on two occasions.  It is a bitch to be unable to speak.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Hooksnhorns

Yessir, I'm definitely gonna do what he says. I hope you're feeling better.
Don't Tread On Me

silvestris

Really feeling good sans the aging process.  I love the trough caller;  just unwieldy.  However I do take it out a time or two days a season.  It certainly makes a terrific and unexpected Kee Kee Run.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Cut N Run

I had that same surgery back in 1991 and have been good to go since.  It did limit my range of motion side to side and looking straight up.  Definitely worth it to correct the issues I was having.  Before surgery, several times a day it would feel like I hit the funny bone in my left arm from the nerve shorting out because of collapsed discs. 

When I asked my doctor if I could shoot turkey loads from my shotgun post surgery, he said; "Once you heal, you'll be able to shoot whatever you did in the past."  He was right too. I even played hockey for years after.  I do the daily neck exercises to keep the muscles strong.  I also killed one of my lifetime best bucks about 10 days after I got clearance from the Doctor to shoot again.

Don't try to rush healing though.  I got so tired of being limited to what I could do and watching TV (no internet then).  I wasn't allowed to take walks in the woods for fear of falling and injuring myself.  It seemed like I was a prisoner to the house.  They were right though, once I healed the world was at my door.  I'm thinking healing thoughts for you.  You thought hunting turkeys was a test of your patience... Hang in there, man.  It will get better.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: silvestris on July 21, 2020, 02:17:24 AM
Really feeling good sans the aging process.  I love the trough caller;  just unwieldy.  However I do take it out a time or two days a season.  It certainly makes a terrific and unexpected Kee Kee Run.

Those troughs are a bit large and they will occasionally let out a great  kee kee. ????.  I really like calling soft on those. Glad you are doing good.
Don't Tread On Me

Hooksnhorns

Quote from: Cut N Run on July 21, 2020, 06:54:43 AM
I had that same surgery back in 1991 and have been good to go since.  It did limit my range of motion side to side and looking straight up.  Definitely worth it to correct the issues I was having.  Before surgery, several times a day it would feel like I hit the funny bone in my left arm from the nerve shorting out because of collapsed discs. 

When I asked my doctor if I could shoot turkey loads from my shotgun post surgery, he said; "Once you heal, you'll be able to shoot whatever you did in the past."  He was right too. I even played hockey for years after.  I do the daily neck exercises to keep the muscles strong.  I also killed one of my lifetime best bucks about 10 days after I got clearance from the Doctor to shoot again.

Don't try to rush healing though.  I got so tired of being limited to what I could do and watching TV (no internet then).  I wasn't allowed to take walks in the woods for fear of falling and injuring myself.  It seemed like I was a prisoner to the house.  They were right though, once I healed the world was at my door.  I'm thinking healing thoughts for you.  You thought hunting turkeys was a test of your patience... Hang in there, man.  It will get better.

Jim

I'm glad to hear it all worked out good for ya. I'm doin some better, I'm actually able to sleep some. It's getting a lil better each day it seems. Thank you for the well wishes!
Don't Tread On Me

2eagles

I had 4-5 5-6 & 6-7 replaced and held together with a metal plate and a bone graft to help heal two and a half years ago. Glad I did! Couldn't shoot firearms for six months. Only thing I've done differently is stop shooting 3 1/2s. I did buy a 20 gauge Compact this year and let me tell you, that little sucker knows how to kick. I didn't buy it for less recoil, I bought it for ease of carrying and maneuvering in the woods. I still shoot my 7mm mag without problems. My doctor reminded me of that quarterback Payton that had his neck done was getting smashed by 300 pound linemen the next season.