OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting after C5-C7 ACDF surgery

Started by Hooksnhorns, July 15, 2020, 02:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hooksnhorns

I had to have my neck fused last week. For those of you who've had this done, did it affect which gun you use? I've used an 870 SM for several years. I shoot handloaded 3" 2 oz load of tss. Recoil isn't terrible, but if I have to turn and shoot at an awkward angle, it can jerk you around pretty good.  I'm worried that I may have to get another gun in smaller ga.
Don't Tread On Me

rakkin6

I have not had it done but I know one of my buddies had it done. It took him about a year to get right. I would say it couldn't hurt and would be wise to go down to a 20 gauge with TSS. No sense in injuring yourself which could further prohibit you hunting at all.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Tom007

Wow, I wish you well. I like the 20 gauge advice, you also can get high tech recoil pads that will help you further on any gun you chose. Be well, be safe....

Old Timer

Friend of mine had it and he shot a 1187 for years. But that said follow the advise of your doctor. 20 gauge might be in order. Good luck and God bless

paboxcall

Haven't had that surgery, and I wish you a fast and full recovery.

For consideration, I'm shooting a 20 gauge pump loaded with 1 3/8th oz. of TSS in a 2.75" shell. Recoil is significantly less than my 12 and its 3" loads of 2 oz. of #7 Hevi-13.

Put that 2.75"  20 gauge TSS load through an autoloader, and should be even softer. In no way am I undergunned compared to the bigger 12 gauge. As a matter of fact, the 20 gauge load out patterns the Hevi #7s by 10 - 12%.

Go lighter and smaller, don't take any chances with your health.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

bbcoach

I haven't had my neck fused but I have had my lower back L4 L5 fused due to a laminectomy about 6 years ago.  My L4 L5 vertebra was squeezing my spinal cord and nerves causing sciotica down both legs.  My surgery was a success.  I can tell I have some limited mobility, along with tightness in the area of the fusion but it has relieved the numbness and pain in my back and legs.  My suggestion to you is follow the Doctor's instructions.  Take it easy.  Don't do anything that will compromise your complete recovery.  If the Doctor did his job and you do yours, you will make a complete recovery except for some minor mobility issues in your neck.  My advice to you is, you don't need to compromise your health and mobility with the recoil from a 12 gauge when a 20 with TSS will reduce your risk of reinjury and be able to kill a bird at 40 and beyond.  You have a few months of recovery ahead of you, some physical therapy and a few months more and the season will be upon you.  Plenty of time to make a change should you decide to.  I was in Wally World last week and they had 2 Camo 870's in 20 gauge that would fit your build.  Here's wishing you a Great Recovery and Wonderful 2021 Spring season.

Greg Massey

I would take the advice , and use a 20 ga. with TSS , you can kill just as many turkeys with the 20 ga. I hope you continue to get well...prayers

davisd9

Hate to hear that Mitch and we will be praying for you. I cannot really give much input from the medical standpoint as I have never been in those shoes. I will reassure you that if you drop to a 20 ga or lower you will have the full effective range of that 870, especially if you continue handloading TSS, and you will not take as much punishment with the right gun. Hope all goes well!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

WV Ridge Reaper

Broke my C2 last year in June also knowin as the "hangman" break..have not had any issues other then having my head turned really hard for a extended period of time..I sneezed one day and jerked around some how and felt that pretty good.

I was told 18 months full recovery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

My Winchester SX3 is the softest shooting 20 gauge I've ever shot. 
Definitely go light recoiling and TSS will allow you to go easily to 20 or even smaller gauge if you want.
Take care, do the rehab and get better soon!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tom007

God bless you my brother. We are all thrilled you will be out with us no matter what gun you chose. Be safe, get well....

slicksbeagles1

I had mine done in 1997 my doctor also put a plate in also and I didn't have to wear a neck brace. I followed my doctor's instructions and that I know of have not had any problems shooting my guns. I have always been a 20 gauge guy although I have a couple 12's and deer rifles shoot with no problem. I can't remember how long it was before my doctor would let me shoot but it didn't seem like it was very long.

silvestris

I had it in the 90s and had no problems with the heavy 12s with either shoulder.  The problem occurred when I got my pacemaker and the doctor forbade me from shooting from the left shoulder and some wise guy told the turkeys and they all became 3 o'clock turkeys.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Parrot Head

If your going to have to buy a 20 better start looking.   Guns and ammo are in short supply around here.

Spurs Up

Quote from: Parrot Head on July 16, 2020, 07:32:34 PM
If your going to have to buy a 20 better start looking.   Guns and ammo are in short supply around here.

Or just shoot a 12 ga with a lightweight load. A 20 ga with a, let's say, 1.5 oz load doesn't have less recoil than a 12 ga load of equal weight and velocity unless the 20 ga gun happens to weigh more than the 12 ga one. Usually they weigh less and, as a result, have more recoil.

Some of my 20's, while a pleasure to carry, punch me. You may not "feel it" during the excitement of shooting a turkey, but your neck might.