OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 types of turkey hunters

Started by Spurs, May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatcher

Eggshell, I hear you loud and clear.  I'm with you in so many ways.  I have great neighbors and they aren't the problem.  Once in a while, they give the wrong guy permission.  It only takes one or two.

Paulmyr

Quote from: shatcher on May 17, 2020, 03:48:54 PM
When you buy a farm, pay property taxes on it, buy equipment and put the time and money into trying to improve the habitat for hunting, it does annoy me when someone hunts the fence line.  Chances are that person hasn't put a dime into anything and just might shoot one through the fence.  If he calls the bird over and kills it, there's not a thing I can do.  I get that.  However, I think the case in point here is that there are turkey killers and ethical turkey hunters.  There used to be some decency in this country.
So if I'm getting this straight calling a wild turkey over a property line and killing it makes me an unethical hunter? It's great to that you have the means to attract animals to your property but they are not yours. You provide habitat to increase the odds in your favor. They come and go as they please. I'm not quite sure how to respond to such an intitled attitude.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

shatcher

We have a difference in opinion of 'entitled'.  That's ok.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on May 17, 2020, 07:02:57 PM
When you buy a farm, pay property taxes on it, buy equipment and put the time and money into trying to improve the habitat for hunting, it does annoy me when someone hunts the fence line.  Chances are that person hasn't put a dime into anything and just might shoot one through the fence.  If he calls the bird over and kills it, there's not a thing I can do.  I get that.  However, I think the case in point here is that there are turkey killers and ethical turkey hunters.  There used to be some decency in this country.
So if I'm getting this straight calling a wild turkey over a property line and killing it makes me an unethical hunter? It's great to that you have the means to attract animals to your property but they are not yours. You provide habitat to increase the odds in your favor. They come and go as they please. I'm not quite sure how to respond to such an intitled attitude.

I knew intitled didn't look right.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Paulmyr

Quote from: shatcher on May 17, 2020, 07:14:41 PM
We have a difference in opinion of 'entitled'.  That's ok.
I'm guessing we have different opinions of ethical as well.

g8rvet

I have called birds off of private onto public and killed them.  I have called them off of another piece of private to the private side I have permission to hunt.  Many times.  Have had birds slip by me gobbling and heard the boom on the next piece of property-several times.  They were roosted on the private I have permission.  I never gave it much thought.  The bird wanted to be on their side that day.  I don't know anyone that considers that unethical.  Turkeys don't follow property lines and no one owns them.

Shooting onto the other side is illegal, not just unethical. 

Back when I deer hunted a guy had a stand right on the line.  A couple of times he shot one and called me and we went and got his deer on the property I had permission to hunt.  He would have done the same for me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: RaspyD on May 15, 2020, 06:24:08 PM
There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys...turkey hunters can tell the difference less than a minute into a conversation.

Yep. The way I see it there's the ones that talk about it and the ones that be about it.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Gobble!

There's a neighbor on one of the properties I hunt who thinks he owns all the birds in the area. Guys a real loser to the point he will purposely do things to scare birds when he knows I'm hunting. Made some changes in how I access the property I have permission on so I go unnoticed. Got to watch three die within 60 yards of his fence line this spring. Really enjoyed those hunts.

NCL

To put into perspective shooting a bird that came off an adjacent private property that you did not have permission. How is it different that you called the gobbler off that property and shot it, opposed to a bird you shot that you did not know where it came from? My experience gobblers seem to go where they want and if you called him off an adjacent property he probably wanted to go that way in the first place.