OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 types of turkey hunters

Started by Spurs, May 15, 2020, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroddc

Quote from: davisd9 on May 15, 2020, 12:54:13 PM
What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yelpaholic

Quote from: Remturkey on May 15, 2020, 10:22:24 AM
And then you have these guys that Will Primos talks about during the first minute of this video. That would be me

https://www.primos.com/web-series/Season-1/The-TRUTH-Episode-10

amen to that

Mossberg90MN

I'm totally the performer! I started cracking up just reading the first few sentences. It is true though... I've ran through a series of calls only to get him to gobble at my crystal call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budtripp

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on May 15, 2020, 11:06:33 AM
I thought there were at least four types :)

https://www.fieldandstream.com/four-types-turkey-hunters-youll-encounter-this-spring/

I aspire to one day be the "old sage", however my lack of patience puts me more into the "go getter" category. Except i won't crawl behind fans or strutter decoys. If I use one its usually just a single hen. But I'm always ready to "go get him" when my patience runs out. Tying to position myself closer or at a different angle and call etc. I've played the tent sitter role when going through my bowhunting phase, and its not really my thing. Although with my 10 year old boy we've sat the blind a time or two this season.

Marc

Two types of turkey hunters...  Successful, and unsuccessful...   I have fallen into both categories...  The latter more frequently.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

1iagobblergetter

The 2 categories i know of are the ones that worry how everyone else hunts and the ones that hunt how they want and worry about themselves.

shatcher

There are those who want nothing more than to kill turkeys, turkey killers.  Then there are turkey hunters.  Turkey killers are about the numbers and are more likely to trespass or crowd property lines!

GobbleNut

Quote from: shatcher on May 17, 2020, 01:08:21 PM
There are those who want nothing more than to kill turkeys, turkey killers.  Then there are turkey hunters.  Turkey killers are about the numbers and are more likely to trespass or crowd property lines!

Sidetracking the thread just a bit...
Curious as to what the phrase "crowd property lines" means exactly?  There's a big difference to me in "trespassing" as opposed to utilizing every square inch of any property I might be confined to hunting.  Now, I won't interfere if I know someone else is working a bird on an adjacent property, but I have no qualms whatsoever about calling a bird off of an adjacent property to a place where I can legally kill him,...have done that many times and will continue to do it. 

A quick course in wildlife law: wild turkeys (and other wildlife) are publicly-owned resources.  Just because a gobbler is on someone's private property does not mean he is "owned" by that person.  Unless I know someone is working a gobbler (in which case my personal ethic of not interfering with someone else's hunt is the overriding factor), I will "crowd property lines" all day long to get that gobbler to come across to where I can shoot him. 

sixbird

Quote from: davisd9 on May 15, 2020, 12:54:13 PM
What about the ones that spends all year practicing calling and trying to push themselves to realism. The whole idea of turkey hunting is deeper than just a pursuit or hobby. They like to read books and study not only hunting turkeys, but also the biology and vocalizations of the bird. They converse back and forth with others like them, enjoying each other's friendship and experience they bring to the table. These hunters do not always agree but they respect each other's view and think about it. They like to earn the turkeys they kill and sometimes willing to do what has to be done to kill one within the limits of legality and their personal standards. They do not try to push their standards on others but ask they are respected. They like to tinker with their guns and maybe load shells to help try to help with the anticipation of the season. They really do not get caught up in fan boy stuff or care about what camo is the fashionable thing but what will conceal them best in the areas they hunt.  They do not try to be on any pro staff or want to be instafamous. When the season finally arrives they are out to use every tag they have available but mostly look forward to being out in creation and enjoying the most wonderful time of the year. They share their hunts with their fellows friends. They share the ups and downs of the season not taking any of it for granted because it is too short and soon will be over. There will be mornings they can barely open their eyes but the thought of not seeing the conversion from night to day scares them so they jump up and get ready. They get home and they are tired but their family is there and the role of husband/father is way more important than the role of turkey hunter so they make the switch with a sleepy smile. When the season is over it takes some time to accept it, but they will remember and cherish the memories while starting the whole thing over waiting on the next spring to come.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well put brutha'

sixbird

Quote from: RaspyD on May 15, 2020, 06:24:08 PM
There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys...turkey hunters can tell the difference less than a minute into a conversation.
Exactly...

shatcher

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 17, 2020, 02:39:18 PM

Curious as to what the phrase "crowd property lines" means exactly?  There's a big difference to me in "trespassing" as opposed to utilizing every square inch of any property I might be confined to hunting.  Now, I won't interfere if I know someone else is working a bird on an adjacent property, but I have no qualms whatsoever about calling a bird off of an adjacent property to a place where I can legally kill him,...have done that many times and will continue to do it. 

A quick course in wildlife law: wild turkeys (and other wildlife) are publicly-owned resources.  Just because a gobbler is on someone's private property does not mean he is "owned" by that person.  Unless I know someone is working a gobbler (in which case my personal ethic of not interfering with someone else's hunt is the overriding factor), I will "crowd property lines" all day long to get that gobbler to come across to where I can shoot him.

shatcher

When you buy a farm, pay property taxes on it, buy equipment and put the time and money into trying to improve the habitat for hunting, it does annoy me when someone hunts the fence line.  Chances are that person hasn't put a dime into anything and just might shoot one through the fence.  If he calls the bird over and kills it, there's not a thing I can do.  I get that.  However, I think the case in point here is that there are turkey killers and ethical turkey hunters.  There used to be some decency in this country.

eggshell

Boy, I wish just once we could have a thread without someone getting all offended....geesh this gets old.

I think anytime you start categorizing people you are going to offend someone and I generally dislike putting anyone into a determined peer group.  It invites stereotyping and classifying of people  by grouping them into  characterizations.

As for me, it depends on what period of my many years you look at. I have fallen into most all of the groups by some determination or other. One thing is true of me for all of the 45+ years I have turkey hunted....I done what I wanted and had fun doing. Sometimes that was trying to get the most the biggest or toughest. Sometimes it was any bird that would work. Sometimes a jake was ok and sometimes it had to be one particular bird. I am a turkey killer, but I enjoy the hunt immensely. I enjoy the woods and spring flowers, I have been know to stop and take a picture of a wild flower while on my way to a gobbler. I have not moved because I didn't want to scare that hooded warbler. I have charged through the woods like a bull elephant to get to a Gobbler and be damned what was in my way. However, in every case I had fun, I would quit if I didn't. I have always respected property lines and other hunters, but by Gosh if I can coax him across the property line he is crossing the line of death. I suppose I am a numbers guys as I know I have killed my limit in my home state at least 20 years in a row. I can't tell you how many total I have killed, so I'm not a counter. what I am is a guy who loves the woods and loves chasing an animal that makes me insane for about two months of the year. I don't fit in a round hole or square hole, I'm more like silly puddy, I can fit in about anywhere.

crow

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 17, 2020, 02:39:18 PM

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

nothing wrong with calling turkeys over the line, that isn't trespassing.
free range turkeys taste the best and
Don't tread on me

eggshell

Quote from: shatcher on May 17, 2020, 03:48:54 PM
When you buy a farm, pay property taxes on it, buy equipment and put the time and money into trying to improve the habitat for hunting, it does annoy me when someone hunts the fence line.  Chances are that person hasn't put a dime into anything and just might shoot one through the fence.  If he calls the bird over and kills it, there's not a thing I can do.  I get that.  However, I think the case in point here is that there are turkey killers and ethical turkey hunters.  There used to be some decency in this country.

I grew up on a farm and someone in the family has farmed the land for over 100 years. I own my own farm and I manage for wildlife. My family operates over 1200 acres of grain and forest land. Much of it has been managed for wildlife. My ground I live on I have managed for over 30 years for wildlife. I don't do it just so I can kill more( I actually kill very little on my own land) I do it for the wildlife to prosper. I have neighbors who only have small plots and neighbors who let people hunt who camp out right on my lines. I let some people hunt on me, but I don't let it get crowded. All I ask is they get along. I know for a fact my neighbors kill game that came right off my land and I don't give a damn. I have probably killed game that came across theirs, I would rather have good relations and not be at odds with my neighbors. I had a gobbler right by my house all spring and he was usually on my land. I had plans to kill him, but I'm pretty sure the neighbors kid killed him in youth season two days before I could hunt. I was happy for him and simply went and hunted another bird. Why would I begrudge him killing the gobbler just because they called him off my land? Every year I have broods that live off my food plots and we all gain from them. I have no claim to them. I do not consider my neighbors or their friends unethical or of poor character, they would help me in a heart beat. If I can feed and attract game we all benefit, I don't do it for my personal gain.