OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by lmbunch69, May 10, 2020, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmbunch69

Several times this season I found myself wishing I had a pair of binoculars. Looking at something small like a 8x28 but found a good deal on 8x42s. I do a lot of deer hunting as well am and wondering if the size of the 8x42s wound hinder run and gunning.

Syn

I got a pair of Maven's 10x42's and really enjoyed them this year. I will say though that a bit smaller pair would have been more comfortable though. I don't regret getting them at all because of how clear they are.

Joe

Sixes

With a good chest harness, you will never know you have them on.

Gooserbat

Camera land has 1st Gen Athlon Cronus on sale for $319.  I bought a pair and these are well worth the money. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Timer

I use a pair of Pentax 8x42 with chest harness. Comfortable. Just be aware of eye relief if you wear glasses.

treein dixie

Swarovski  compacts 8x30 super clear and handy!

Tom007

I use Swarovski 10-25 pocket Binos. Never know you have them.......

Marc

For the past year I have been using Cabela's binoculars.  They go on and off sale for about $129... (Not sure what will happen with COVID 19 and pricing though).

Optics are as good or better than more expensive Steiner or Nikon...  Everyone I hand them to is surprised and impressed by the quality of optics on these. And the Cabela's are waterproof.  The Cabela's used to have a very good warranty, but I believe it is currently only 90 days...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hunting/optics/binoculars/pc/104791680/c/104752080/sc/104217480/cabelas-intensity-binoculars/2312955.uts?slotId=3

I feel like these might be rebranded Vortex?

I cannot imagine going hunting (or fishing) without binoculars.  Whether it is to actually help in the activity, or to look at something interesting, the binoculars are very useful...  First two things that come out of my turkey vest and go around my neck are my diaphragm call lanyard, and my binoculars...  They stay on my neck the whole time I am hunting...  And even driving out when I am done (looking for birds on the way out, scouting new areas, etc.)...  First thing to come out of the vest, and last thing to go back in.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Vortex 10 x 28 diamondback ... I have been using pair of these for 4 or 5 years and lost the covers , called customer service to buy new replacement ones , and they sent me FREE replacements .. that sold me on Vortex .

paboxcall

Last fall, I purchased a pair of Burris Signature 10x42 after getting an email coupon from Burris for anything in their store, and found these on sale. These Signature series Burris are super serious quality - I think they're hard to beat for the money especially with the discount I got.

As others mentioned with a chest harness, you forget they are there.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/binoculars/signature-hd-binoculars-10x42
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Brian Fahs

I have swarovski 10x 42 els I run in a marsupial chest harness for all my hunting. Absolutely love the setup. Can run crawl shoot without any concerns of binos being damaged or in the way. When you need them they are right there.

Yoder409

Just get good glass and don't go too low in magnification.

I carry Nikon 10x42's on a Crooked Horn Bino-System.  They are NEVER in the way.  I will say, though, that the plastic snap clips on the Bino-System will break every 6 or 8 years and usually just when it can tick you off the most.  Crooked Horn is very good about replacing the snap clips for free.  But my next bino harness will have a bit better attachment method.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

I am looking at a set of Nikon 10x42's myself, should have ordered them on Tuesday from Bass Pro Shops when they had 10 percent off but talked myself out of it. I have a 25.00 gift card from them and 25 in rewards so that would knock 50 off the price, I really should get them but I need warm weather boots too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

:deadhorse:I like the Ultra - Light Bino Harness ... Rick Young .... check it out on Youtube..  With Rick harness you have more than one chose of wear them.

bbcoach

Quote from: Sixes on May 10, 2020, 03:00:46 PM
With a good chest harness, you will never know you have them on.
THIS!!!  I went to a Vortex Glasspac Harness this year and I FLAT out love this harness.  I normally put them on at the truck and don't even know they are there until I reach for them.  Looking forward to using the harness during deer season as well.  I have a pair of Bushnell 10x42's.