OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Binoculars

Started by lmbunch69, May 10, 2020, 01:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

I use Leopold 10x42, they work great.

I would never go smaller. But I enjoy watching deer, birds and anything else in the wild while hunting.

If you strictly want to look at your target species and not much else then go smaller.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

knifeshark

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AppalachianHollers

I enjoy my Vortex Raptor 8.5x42.
Great big adjustment wheel makes it easy to scan through cover at different distances. In the East, I don't need anything else. Out West, I'd probably get 10 or 12x50.

roberthyman14

I have a pair of vortex diamondback 10x42.  Think I should have gotten the 8x42 just for more stability.  Once I added a chest harness it was a game changer on weight. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Marc

Quote from: Yoder409 on May 10, 2020, 05:07:50 PM
Just get good glass and don't go too low in magnification.

[/quote]
Quote from: roberthyman14 on May 10, 2020, 10:08:35 PM
I have a pair of vortex diamondback 10x42.  Think I should have gotten the 8x42 just for more stability.  Once I added a chest harness it was a game changer on weight. 

As a bird hunter, and wild-life watcher on the move, I also think that stability is a factor...  8 x 42 is a great option with great field of view, that I can stabilize free-handed...  As I move up in to the 10 x or greater, I need some sort of rest to stabilize the binoculars.

For being mobile, and simply spotting game, those 8x are great...  If I was deer hunting and looking at antlers, or wildlife viewing with the intent of seeing more detail, I would go to a higher power, with some means of stabilizing the binoculars...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

neal

I carry 10x42 Swarovskis in a Kuiu bino harness. I'm always crawling around the woods chasing turkeys.

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

BigSlam51

I carry 10×42 vortex diamondbacks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SOCOM304

I always have a pair of Swarovski 10x42 EL's with me on any hunt. I use the Crooked Horn harness, but am considering a Marsupial or Alaska Creations harness pack. They are expensive, but second to none.

huntineveryday

Whatever you get, put them in a good chest harness. I love my FHF Gear chest rig, very comfortable. Expensive, but well made and worth it. Plus it has two pockets on the front of the lid, perfect size for a few mouth calls!

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

NCL

For turkey  Zeiss 10X25 pocket binoculars

ArMtnHntr

I use Swarovski 8x25 and love them. I also have a pair of Swaro 10x42 but after using the 8x25 I can't see myself ever carrying the 10x42s again for turkey. 

cutt down

I have Nikon ProStaff 7s in 10x42 & just bought some Vortex Crossfire HD in 10x42. Both great for hunting! Gave my wife the Nikons & I use the Vortex. Both are great!

blazer29

Quote from: lmbunch69 on May 10, 2020, 01:08:18 PM
Several times this season I found myself wishing I had a pair of binoculars. Looking at something small like a 8x28 but found a good deal on 8x42s. I do a lot of deer hunting as well am and wondering if the size of the 8x42s wound hinder run and gunning.
I tote my 10x42 vortex with me. They get heavy but you get accustomed to it.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: lmbunch69 on May 10, 2020, 01:08:18 PM
Several times this season I found myself wishing I had a pair of binoculars. Looking at something small like a 8x28 but found a good deal on 8x42s. I do a lot of deer hunting as well am and wondering if the size of the 8x42s wound hinder run and gunning.
Maven c2 series 7x28 under $200 very nice turkey season binos I have a high end pair that cost 3x as much that are heavy but for hunting birds in the timber I like those little light weight mavens

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>