OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's your State Gobbler Limit ?

Started by Greg Massey, May 08, 2020, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: Bennett on May 08, 2020, 11:08:19 AM
I think we need to lower the limit in TN to two
^^^THIS^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

richard black

Michigan is 1 bearded turkey in spring and 1 bearded turkey or hen in the fall.

shatcher

LRD

For the guys commenting on TN, now is the time to voice your opinion to the TWRA and the TN Wildlife Commission.  They may not make a change or follow what you want but at least you can say that you voiced your concerns.  See below some info:

The TN Wildlife Commission will be voting at the end of May on the 21 & 22 Spring seasons.  The TWRA has recommended to reduce the limit to two and push the season back two weeks in Southern Middle TN counties and MS River border counties.  The rest of the state is recommended to stay the same.  I believe that the limit should be reduced statewide and sent info in last week via the avenues below.

The proposals for the next two seasons can be found at the link below:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... pdates.pdf

1) TWRA is requesting input on these proposals until 5/15. You can send an email to Twra.huntingcomments@tn.gov. with the title "Hunting Season Comments."

2) Now is time to email the commissioners with your comments. They make the final vote on the seasons and do look at the comments. Their email and info can be found here.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/tennessee-fish- ... ssion.html

3) Normally they allow public participation at these meetings which usually has more pull than anything but really not sure how they will do this with the virus going around.

Pluffmud

My entire life, SC has been started on March 15, and ran until the end of April, with 2 gobblers per day, and 5 per season, with bearded hens. Tags have always been free. This year, they reduced the season limit to 3 per season, with only one in the first ten days, and one per day total. Tags are also $5 now. The season dates have also been pushed back to start one week later in my GameZone.

With the sudden drastic changes, it looks like a knee jerk reaction. I and others have not seen a drastic decline in bird numbers, if anything we have seen more. I don't mind paying the $5, or even the new regs, but the changes don't reflect the severity of the situation. We have seen more hunters, but from those I've talked to, the increased pressure is making the harvest numbers reduce. They say that the recent arrival of coyotes and bad storms in spring the past few years has hit the population hard. Maybe believable, but if that's the case, then don't burn giant tracts of govt woods in April that hold birds like you have been for the past 5 years, SCDNR!
Psalm 46:10

captpete

Quote from: Big Guy on May 08, 2020, 03:08:26 PM
I Iowa we have 4 seasons.  You can get 2 tags as long as one of them is 4th season.

You can also have 2 tags in the fall. You can shoot bearded and non-bearded turkeys in the fall.

Meleagris gallopavo

I hunt in NC (2 birds) and VA (3 birds).  I live right on the border and we hunt all private land.  My son and I only shoot Toms with beards over 7-8" inches.  We hunt enough land to limit out in both states but that never happens.  We get to hunt as much as we want though and see or hear turkeys on most of our outings.  We're very fortunate.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

quavers59

I Turkey Hunt in New York + New Jersey.  I would like to see a 3 Spring Turkey limit in NY rather then just 2. In New Jersey-- no doubt about it- the Spring Turkey Limit should not exceed 5 .  1 PERMIT ( MAX) FOR PERIODS A,B C,D,E. No Spring Hunter in NJ Should be taking 8- 10- 15-17+ Gobblers in New Jersey.  Give other Spring Hunters a chance.   New Jersey should change to ( 5 MAX).

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on May 11, 2020, 03:57:55 PM
I Turkey Hunt in New York + New Jersey.  I would like to see a 3 Spring Turkey limit in NY rather then just 2. In New Jersey-- no doubt about it- the Spring Turkey Limit should not exceed 5 .  1 PERMIT ( MAX) FOR PERIODS A,B C,D,E. No Spring Hunter in NJ Should be taking 8- 10- 15-17+ Gobblers in New Jersey.  Give other Spring Hunters a chance.   New Jersey should change to ( 5 MAX).
I live in NY and am personally against a 3 bird limit in the Spring, our population has dropped enough, we do not need to kill more. I also would love to see the bearded hen law abolished, killing hens is killing the future and very foolish in my mind.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

Wild Turkey Populations have rebounded in Zones 3 + 4 in New York. The Fall Turkey Season was slashed from 6 weeks to just 2 weeks in 2015. In addition- Fall Turkey no longer opens on October 1st.  Now the Fall Turkey opener is 3 weeks later in October.  As a result - not many Fall Turkeys are taken compared to the former Season. That is why there are many more wild Turkeys in New York and a 3 Spring limit is now possible in NY.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on May 11, 2020, 05:15:54 PM
Wild Turkey Populations have rebounded in Zones 3 + 4 in New York. The Fall Turkey Season was slashed from 6 weeks to just 2 weeks in 2015. In addition- Fall Turkey no longer opens on October 1st.  Now the Fall Turkey opener is 3 weeks later in October.  As a result - not many Fall Turkeys are taken compared to the former Season. That is why there are many more wild Turkeys in New York and a 3 Spring limit is now possible in NY.
There are not many more in NY I saw more 20 years ago than I see now by far and just about every hunter and farmer I know says the same thing. Lowest since 2009 https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/sports/2019/06/27/new-york-state-turkey-population-lowest-observed-since-2009/1573159001/ I would gladly vote against a 3 bird limit, and banning taking bearded hen.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

troutfisher13111

I am in the school that NY has seen a population rebound in the last few years. Nothing like the early 2000's, but better than it was

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Terry on May 11, 2020, 06:26:09 PM
I am in the school that NY has seen a population rebound in the last few years. Nothing like the early 2000's, but better than it was

Every report I have read has said differently. Maybe marginally better in some areas but not in most.

John Koenig:

TNTRKYHunter

Quote from: LRD on May 11, 2020, 09:13:03 AM
For the guys commenting on TN, now is the time to voice your opinion to the TWRA and the TN Wildlife Commission.  They may not make a change or follow what you want but at least you can say that you voiced your concerns.  See below some info:

The TN Wildlife Commission will be voting at the end of May on the 21 & 22 Spring seasons.  The TWRA has recommended to reduce the limit to two and push the season back two weeks in Southern Middle TN counties and MS River border counties.  The rest of the state is recommended to stay the same.  I believe that the limit should be reduced statewide and sent info in last week via the avenues below.

The proposals for the next two seasons can be found at the link below:

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/twra/ ... pdates.pdf

1) TWRA is requesting input on these proposals until 5/15. You can send an email to Twra.huntingcomments@tn.gov. with the title "Hunting Season Comments."

2) Now is time to email the commissioners with your comments. They make the final vote on the seasons and do look at the comments. Their email and info can be found here.

https://www.tn.gov/twra/tennessee-fish- ... ssion.html

3) Normally they allow public participation at these meetings which usually has more pull than anything but really not sure how they will do this with the virus going around.
Comments  sent to commissioners and TWRA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troutfisher13111

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 11, 2020, 06:28:54 PM
Quote from: Terry on May 11, 2020, 06:26:09 PM

Every report I have read has said differently. Maybe marginally better in some areas but not in most.
That's true, some areas are up other's are down. The problem with NY is that we had a huge population boom over 20 years ago and people thought that was the norm. Now we have a more stable population and people are complaining the population is low. There are plenty of turkey to be killed, it just takes more effort than it did in the good Ol' days. One of the guys I occasionally talk to has hunted several states and he loves NY due to the lack of hunters and high numbers of birds. We have a good population, just takes more work than it did during the boom