OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Diaphragm Call Issues

Started by GunRunner, April 23, 2020, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 28, 2020, 09:42:51 AM
If you use enough mouth calls of different types, you will likely find that there are some of them that sound better if you leave them in your mouth,...and there are some that will sound better if you don't. 
I've hunted with a couple people and that sounded better if they never put it in their mouth. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tha bugman

I just let mine warm up for about 15 min before I start a calling sequence

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: guesswho on April 29, 2020, 06:06:05 PM
If you use enough mouth calls of different types, you will likely find that there are some of them that sound better if you leave them in your mouth,...and there are some that will sound better if you don't. 
I've hunted with a couple people and that sounded better if they never put it in their mouth.

....And I've heard real hens sound even worse than that....guaranteed.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Clif Owen on April 29, 2020, 05:13:27 PM
No, whiskey will make it so you don't care if one answers.
At that point, it doesn't matter. The way birds are behaving here right now, I'd welcome the whisky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Quote from: SteelCityArcher on April 29, 2020, 07:22:09 PM

Oh man! I was about to throttle a buddy of mine one day after he "tried" a mouth call. It sounded horrible. We were about 70 yards apart and after his second series, I was getting my phone out to text him to stop. Then I realized there was a hen right in front of him and it was her. That was the day I realized no matter how bad you sound, you're gonna kill birds. If they're ready to play, running a couple sticks together and a wet fart will bring them to the gun. Good luck fellas.

Paulmyr

:jesus-cross: me
Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 29, 2020, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: SteelCityArcher on April 29, 2020, 07:22:09 PM

Oh man! I was about to throttle a buddy of mine one day after he "tried" a mouth call. It sounded horrible. We were about 70 yards apart and after his second series, I was getting my phone out to text him to stop. Then I realized there was a hen right in front of him and it was her. That was the day I realized no matter how bad you sound, you're gonna kill birds. If they're ready to play, running a couple sticks together and a wet fart will bring them to the gun. Good luck fellas.

I think dry farts sound better than wet ones as far as yelping goes!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

turkey_slayer

If you use enough mouth calls of different types, you will likely find that there are some of them that sound better if you leave them in your mouth,...and there are some that will sound better if you don't.  Some of that "sound better" definition depends also on what kind of turkey noises you are trying to produce. 

Keeping a call in your mouth will "relax" the latex a bit because of the moisture and heat your mouth generates.  That is sometimes good in making it easier to call softly and make those quiet little half-yelps and clucks.  On the other hand, it often makes it almost impossible to really get the crisp yelps and cutts you need to have at times. 

Bottom line is, over time, we all learn what works best for each of us to get the sounds we want.  I am not certain any two of us are the same in that regard.
Well said

Gooserbat

Once a call becomes saturated it needs to dry out.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Chordeiles

Quote from: SteelCityArcher on April 27, 2020, 04:50:16 PM
Quote from: Chordeiles on April 27, 2020, 04:41:37 PM
Interesting..
I've never had this problem but I tend to drink a lot of water.......plus I drool a lot.

Yes, but excessive drool can become a problem in itself if you hold the call in your mouth for a long period of time.  Try doing that and then trying to call without blowing the drool out of it. You send like a hen gargling with Listerine and your buddy in the blind is pissed because you just sprayed your slobber all over him while trying to yelp. 

Lol. Well, I hunt alone.....so I'm good there.
I get what you're saying though.
:gobble: