turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Diaphragm Call Issues

Started by GunRunner, April 23, 2020, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

Just wondering if other diaphragm callers have an issue producing good quality calls after holding the call in your mouth for extended periods.
In other words, if I keep my Hooks diaphragms in my mouth for an hour or longer, the reeds get stuck together and I have trouble producing the same clear crisp calls that were possible when I first put the call in my mouth. It is like my saliva coats the reeds with a slight sticky film. I do not remember these issues when I first started using mouth calls, 20 years ago. I am wondering if it maybe from my cholesterol meds as it is common for me to have dry mouth these days.
To deal with this I try to rinse my mouth out with water as often as I can get away with during the hunt, also bite down on the tape and hold the call outside of my mouth, and then throw the yelpers away after no more than a hunt or two.

Anybody else relate to this?

GunRunner

fallhnt

Yes

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wvmntnhick

Mine is simply hanging outside my mouth when not in use. Eliminates exactly what you're talking about. Even between series of yelps to an approaching bird, it's outside my mouth. If he's close enough to see me pull it back into my mouth, he's already dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 23, 2020, 07:30:30 PM
Mine is simply hanging outside my mouth when not in use. Eliminates exactly what you're talking about. Even between series of yelps to an approaching bird, it's outside my mouth. If he's close enough to see me pull it back into my mouth, he's already dead.

Same here, except I'll change dead to at least shot at.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

RutnNStrutn

This!!! ^^^

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

LaLongbeard

I've noticed the reeds seem to stick more than they used to. Maybe it's the type of latex used now? I just carry two of the same mouthcall and alternate them also keeping them outside the mouth helps.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LRD

^^^^This as well for me.

SteelCityArcher

Exactly why I love stacked frame calls.

Totally eliminates this problem and they run great.
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Turkeyman

X5. Additionally my treatment of diaphragms consists of wetting them with water, not saliva, prior to going out in the morning...leaving the toothpick separators in place. That way they're not dried and stuck together initially. The one I have in my mouth is treated as quoted but, if it does become too flaccid, I switch it out with a fresh  one.

Chordeiles

Interesting..
I've never had this problem but I tend to drink a lot of water.......plus I drool a lot.

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: Chordeiles on April 27, 2020, 04:41:37 PM
Interesting..
I've never had this problem but I tend to drink a lot of water.......plus I drool a lot.

Yes, but excessive drool can become a problem in itself if you hold the call in your mouth for a long period of time.  Try doing that and then trying to call without blowing the drool out of it. You send like a hen gargling with Listerine and your buddy in the blind is pissed because you just sprayed your slobber all over him while trying to yelp. 

:gobble:
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Sir-diealot

I take oxycodone among other things for pain and inflammation and they dry my mouth out something awful, this makes the calls feel nasty and slimy in my mouth after a long period of time so I am constantly drinking water. This is a major reason I am a fan of hydration packs in vests and backpacks.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleNut

If you use enough mouth calls of different types, you will likely find that there are some of them that sound better if you leave them in your mouth,...and there are some that will sound better if you don't.  Some of that "sound better" definition depends also on what kind of turkey noises you are trying to produce. 

Keeping a call in your mouth will "relax" the latex a bit because of the moisture and heat your mouth generates.  That is sometimes good in making it easier to call softly and make those quiet little half-yelps and clucks.  On the other hand, it often makes it almost impossible to really get the crisp yelps and cutts you need to have at times. 

Bottom line is, over time, we all learn what works best for each of us to get the sounds we want.  I am not certain any two of us are the same in that regard.

Timmer

Interesting.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  I have a call in my mouth all day long unless I'm eating or drinking things other than water.  Over time I do start getting a dry mouth and i store the call against my cheek and take a swig of water and swish it, then I'm good for another couple of hours. 

This post got me thinking that maybe having it in all day holds germs and I should be swishing with whiskey?   ;)
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Clif Owen

No, whiskey will make it so you don't care if one answers.