turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Russell Turkey Hunters

Started by ShortMagFan, April 19, 2020, 02:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

If you're really needing waterproofness in them and not crossing small creeks for seconds only and actually spending time in wet swamps.... go all leather and stay away from the zippers.  Use Obenaufs at beginning of each season and have a boot dryer for the evenings.  Like slippers going on each morning, and while there's never a slosh feel and never water inside the boot, if you spend real time in the water they're going to get damp inside throughout the layers of leather....boot dryer fixes all that in minutes.  Another tip: get speed laces instead of the hooks, one snag and pull on one of the hooks and the whole boot is loosened like its untied, speed laces like military boots is the way to go.  Minute longer to lace in the morning, but you don't do it again until they come off.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

RiverRoost

I like the idea of taking the strings out and replacing them with something always tied. I have a pair of Russell Zephyr II to wear around town and really like them.  I'd like to get a snake boot maybe without the laces and just a good zipper on the side. May have to call them on that

Click

I have a pair that are going on three years.  They are my favorite hunting boots.  The only waterproof issues I have had with the boots are from not properly caring for the leather.  You need to clean them with saddle soap several times per season and use the Obenauf's re conditioner.  Dried mud on the boots will ruin the leather.   

ShortMagFan

Cleaning with saddle soap after the season and treating with obenaufs a few times during the year makes sense to me. Doing so several times over a ~2 month turkey season seems like a little much. Heck I hardly wash the pants I wear turkey hunting during the season

Click

Quote from: ShortMagFan on April 20, 2020, 12:28:40 PM
Cleaning with saddle soap after the season and treating with obenaufs a few times during the year makes sense to me. Doing so several times over a ~2 month turkey season seems like a little much. Heck I hardly wash the pants I wear turkey hunting during the season

https://www.russellmoccasin.com/leather-care/

ShortMagFan

Quote from: Click on April 20, 2020, 12:47:56 PM

Yeah I've read that. It's just not practical for me to clean and treat boots every time they get dirty during the season

wchadw

Quote from: ShortMagFan on April 20, 2020, 01:01:59 PM
Quote from: Click on April 20, 2020, 12:47:56 PM

Yeah I've read that. It's just not practical for me to clean and treat boots every time they get dirty during the season
I would think once a year after season would be enough as long as they don't get too bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haystaddle

At the end of the season is the most important time to clean and treat them. I have a pair of their  Mohican Stalkers. Cleaned and treated them the last time I used them.  Just dug them out of the bin they were in. They look fantastic and I haven't touched them in 11 years. Russell makes the best, a little care  pre season and a little post season and you'll be in great shape.

ShortMagFan

Well i went ahead and ordered a pair from Russell today - standard turkey hunters they had in stock.  We'll see how they do the last 7-10 days of our season here.  Will be interesting to compare them to my old pair

MShillhunter

I bought a pair this year for the sole reason of having a truly waterproof, comfortable snake boot.  Unfortunately, mine do leak a little at the top of the foot.  I called Russell about this and they immediately knew where and what the pricked was.  Told me to send them back and they'll get me fixed up. I intend to do that after the season closes

dzsmith

Quote from: MShillhunter on April 24, 2020, 06:00:47 AM
I bought a pair this year for the sole reason of having a truly waterproof, comfortable snake boot.  Unfortunately, mine do leak a little at the top of the foot.  I called Russell about this and they immediately knew where and what the pricked was.  Told me to send them back and they'll get me fixed up. I intend to do that after the season closes

dang man....leaked right out the box...that sucks. at least they are doing right by you. but that's not what id expect. is it like a hole, or something they forgot to stitch.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

dzsmith

I got a couple questions for you guys. One , compared to rubber boots "lacrosse, etc" how much heavier are the russells...or do you even notice. ? Two, if you can sneak...you can sneak...but do you find russels to be more difficult to walk quietly in or are you like me and believe its mostly in how you walk more than anything "heal to toe"
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

MShillhunter

Quote from: dzsmith on April 24, 2020, 09:54:08 PM
Quote from: MShillhunter on April 24, 2020, 06:00:47 AM

dang man....leaked right out the box...that sucks. at least they are doing right by you. but that's not what id expect. is it like a hole, or something they forgot to stitch.
From what I understood, it was a stitching problem.  I was disappointed but knew with a company like that I'd be taken care of.   It hasn't bothered me bad though.  Like someone said above, a wet sock in a Russell is hardly noticeable compared to a wet sock in other boots. 

Once they're broken in they can't be beat.

Ranger

Quote from: dzsmith on April 24, 2020, 09:56:41 PM
I got a couple questions for you guys. One , compared to rubber boots "lacrosse, etc" how much heavier are the russells...or do you even notice. ? Two, if you can sneak...you can sneak...but do you find russels to be more difficult to walk quietly in or are you like me and believe its mostly in how you walk more than anything "heal to toe"

More quiet. And not that heavy considering they're snake boots.  Sound that leaves the top of a rubber boot from the sole up, that slight thud is loud and drives me crazy. Laced up Russell's are quiet
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

ShortMagFan

I've got several pairs of different types of LaCrosse rubber boots. I'll wear my Russell's over any of them unless I'm going to be wading. Wore my 20+ year old Russell's today and between the knee high wet grass and wading across two creeks my feet were shriveled when I took them off at 1p after the hunt. But with as far as we walked today I was happy I had them on and not my LaCrosse boots that I also keep in the truck this time of year. Hoping the new pair should keep my feet drier. We'll see