OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Russell Turkey Hunters

Started by ShortMagFan, April 19, 2020, 02:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShortMagFan

Anyone bought a pair recently?  I've got a pair I've had for 25 years that are about done.  I sent them back to Russell a couple years ago to be conditioned and resoled and they did not want to do the work the leather was in pretty bad shape (I had been neglecting them).  I talked them into doing it and it was great to get my old pair back.  But I've now got cracks in the leather and the joints where the leather is sewn together is a sieve for water.  To be clear, this is not a complaint about Russell - these have been great boots for a long time and I've gotten more than my money out of them.

My question to anyone who has made a recent purchase of Russell Turkey Hunters - how waterproof are they?  My pair has never been close to completely waterproof even when new.  Damp feet isn't too much of a bother with them as the moccasin style leather footbed does not "squish" at all and if you can tolerate damp socks their comfort outweighs the annoyance of damp feet.

That said, I'm thinking of a new pair of boots to turkey hunt in next season.  Given I've had these for 25 years I'm not concerned about how much the new pair would cost.  I'm just debating for myself whether I should try Danner or another high quality brand with Gore-Tex.  If i knew Russell had improved the water proof features of their boots I'd buy another pair in a heartbeat.

My land is pretty wet - even when it hasn't rained, damp grass in the morning will soak thru my current Russells quick.  I would like another 16+" boot as opposed to something shorter.  I've got LaCrosse rubber boots i deer hunt in, but do not like walking the distances i walk while turkey hunting in rubber boots and I've never found a rubber boot that fit me just the way i wanted (especially when compared to the comfort of my Russell's)

Sorry for the long question but I'd welcome comments from anyone with a newer pair of Russell's or a positive experience with another brand that uses Gore Tex.

Thank you.

ltprod

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DP42912

Following as well. I've had a couple pairs of the Chippewa "waterproof" leather snake boots and they've kept my feet dry for a year or so that's it, they are comfortable to walk long distances in though. I have Lacrosse rubber boots too, but I can't walk miles in them because they will kill my feet. I also wear Red Wing and Thorogood leather waterproof boots at work and they also only stay waterproof for about a year or so. Just my 2 cents. And I am interested in the new Russels as well.

Prohunter3509

Purchased a pair in the fall, used this season  didn't wade any creeks with them just a lit of wet grass knee high soaked them never got wet feet I am amazingly happy didn't leak I. Threads . I was so happy a bought a pair of upland boots from them comfortable dry and happy feet what more can I say

wchadw

I got a pair in the fall. I sno sealed mine up pretty good and they have waterproof zips. I have walked thru water, mud, wet grass  and gotten rained on and haven't had wet feet. That being said, I haven't stood in a running creek or anything but I didn't do that with rubber boots

haystaddle

I have a pair that is about 12 years old. Very waterproof. I don't hesitate wading across creeks at all. I wouldn't hesitate to get another pair if something happened to mine.

ShortMagFan

Quote from: wchadw on April 19, 2020, 05:48:46 PM
I got a pair in the fall. I sno sealed mine up pretty good and they have waterproof zips. I have walked thru water, mud, wet grass  and gotten rained on and haven't had wet feet. That being said, I haven't stood in a running creek or anything but I didn't do that with rubber boots

Which exact Russell boots do you have? The only Russell Turkey Hunters with zippers don't appear to have a gusset behind the zipper and it looks like a heavy duty brass zipper that would work well but would not be waterproof

wchadw

Harts turkey hunters. I asked if they had waterproof zips and they added. They are black waterproof zippers like on ski jackets

They are custom so, I called and talked to them about options

harleytom

I picked mine up slightly used before this season. They are solid leather w/ laces and no zippers. I've been in water several times including wading a couple of creeks over my ankles but no wet feet so far. I did treat w/ sealant before the season.

ShortMagFan

Quote from: wchadw on April 19, 2020, 06:31:11 PM
Harts turkey hunters. I asked if they had waterproof zips and they added. They are black waterproof zippers like on ski jackets

Thanks.  I guess this is going to cost me some money as i was considering ordering from what they have in stock.

Couple of questions:
- what was the lead time from order to delivery?  Did they get everything right?  I love their product but their customer service has been questionable in the past.  Never bad intentions, just people not doing it right.
- zippers on outside of boot? Why outside vs. inside?
- curious as to why the low/high laces along with the zippers?

Thanks to all for the replies.

wchadw

Quote from: ShortMagFan on April 19, 2020, 06:54:13 PM

Thanks.  I guess this is going to cost me some money as i was considering ordering from what they have in stock.

Couple of questions:
- what was the lead time from order to delivery?  Did they get everything right?  I love their product but their customer service has been questionable in the past.  Never bad intentions, just people not doing it right.

I ordered my custom with feet measurements. I figured if I was paying that much I wanted to get it exactly like I wanted.

I called and talked to them and told them about my feet problems with high arches, hunting conditions, prefer easy on/off etc.

Ended up with harts with 2x extra poron cushions, air bob soles for muddier conditions, waterproof zips, pull on loops. Think that's all. Wanted snake proof liner.

The zips are on outside for easy on/off. I removed laces and got elastic "speed laces" but the laces on mine are never loosened on top since they zip down. I pull them on, zip and pull laces at bottom tight

wchadw

Quote from: ShortMagFan on April 19, 2020, 06:54:13 PM

Couple of questions:

It took 4-5 months I think after I ordered and they got them right

ShortMagFan

Thanks wchadw that is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.  One more question - have your boots as pictured been in the field??? Those things look brand new.

wchadw

Quote from: ShortMagFan on April 19, 2020, 07:37:24 PM
Thanks wchadw that is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for.  One more question - have your boots as pictured been in the field??? Those things look brand new.
That's when they were new. They are all muddy now. After season I'm going to wash them with saddle soap and dry and sno seal again

I love mine. If they last 10 years it will be worth the $

dzsmith

I too have been contemplating them for my next pair. I generally can only get 2-3 years out of a pair or rubbers before they leak whether that's getting a hole poked in them or just aging. I would assume as long as you kept the leather conditioned with mink oil or something similar often enough that you would never have any soak through issues just like any other leather boot on the market.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."