turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Semi Auto 20 GA—What to Get?

Started by gatrapper, April 17, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

Benelli M2  or Beretta if you want the Cadillac.

If you want to save money and have a great gun get a Franchi.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

For a turkey gun get the lightest one in your price range!

TravisB

I'm not really a gun person, but after a dove hunting trip to Mexico, I'm all in on Benelli's. You said you would be using it for dove hunting also, that's why I say that. I don't remember a single problem out of our group, and there was a whole lot of shooting. I put a couple thousand shells through one myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I love my M2, I have not shot but shoulder a buddies has Franchi and it felt good.

lunghit

I would go for the Benelli myself. I have owned multiple Benelli's over the years and never had an issue with any of them.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

lunghit

Quote from: Jstocks on April 17, 2020, 02:09:22 PM
An original Benelli super 90

Here is mine in a 12. Bought this brand new in 2002 I believe and had it custom cerekoted for a dedicated turkey gun.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

mmorgan9812

Quote from: lunghit on April 17, 2020, 06:57:40 PM

Here is mine in a 12. Bought this brand new in 2002 I believe and had it custom cerekoted for a dedicated turkey gun.

Love it!!!

Sent from my ASUS_P00J using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Quote from: lunghit on April 17, 2020, 06:57:40 PM

I have one of these with both stocks regular and pistol grip stocks with 24 inch barrel ..

GunRunner

Another vote for the Franchi Affinity.
You have to hold one and shoulder it to appreciate it.

GunRunner

WV Flopper

My two cents... The M2 that my son has, I bought, is not versatile. If you want to hunt with it, you need to change the recoil spring out. If not, you will get the benillie click! When you do, you can't run low a low brass shell through it. It will jam. To me, the gun is not versatile, it's a 1500# one hit wonder. It is pretty to look at.

Turkeytaker203

I own a Winchester SX3 , a Franchi Affinity, and a TriStar Viper G2. I really like them all and none have given me an once of trouble. The Winchester's trigger was stiff but it has broken in nicely. The Franchi is the lightest and cleanest running but for me the distance from the grip to the trigger is too long. The TriStar is new but I've shot it quite a bit getting ready for this season. It has performed flawlessly. If I had to pick only one it would be the SX3. I wish mine was a Longbeard model but it is extremely well made, cycles fast, and fits me well. All three are winners!
Likes others have said you need to check them out in person. I was once dead set on a particular shotgun and went to buy it. While at the shop I saw another brand and asked to see it. I could not believe how much better that gun felt and looked mechanically. I did not buy the one I in came for, I bought the other!

Happy hooker

Correct me here if needed

But I've always heard when buying a smaller gauge gun then a 12,,you should make sure the entire gun is proportioned down also. A lot of makers take the same 12ga frame and just put a 20 gauge barrel with a few modifications to receiver. So you have a full size gun with a smaller barrel,,resulting in very little weight advantage but less firepower.

gdc23

deadbuck

Another thing to consider is if the safety is in front of or behind the trigger,. That has always turned me off on Beretta since I have been used to a safety before the trigger all my life.

Tom007

Benelli, have 2 SBE's, the action is probably one of the smoothest I have seen. Great guns....