turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Semi Auto 20 GA—What to Get?

Started by gatrapper, April 17, 2020, 10:56:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gunboy203

As mentioned I would go and handle / mount as many different guns as you can to make your decision. Just because someone likes or uses a certain brand of gun does not mean its the right one for you...
Just my 2 cents... 

Tom007

Great advice, gun should fit well...

captpete

Everybody here has pretty much said Benelli or Franchi. When you go to look at guns, make sure you take look at the Mossberg Sa-20(my wife has one I really like it also), Weatherby Sa-08 and the TriStar-Viper/Raptor. They are all very guns and can be bought for around $500...half the price of a Benelli.

James gang

I have a benneli sbe two m2s and a nova.i would take my remington 11-87 compact 20ga over any of them.I very recently put it up against some of my buddys guns (2 bennelis a beretta and a browning) .the remington and benneli m2 were very close ( i was able to put a few more shot in the circle 6 out of 10 times ) but not a big difference.the beretta came in last and the browning out shot all of us ( 10 put of 10 shots)i was very suprised anyway my point is just because it cost more ( my 11-87 compact cost 1/2 of my benneli m2)doesn't mean its better get the one that feels the best to you and good luck

idgobble

camotoe

I would take a look at pawn shops , with this down turn I bet there are a lot of people selling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunghit

Quote from: camotoe on April 18, 2020, 02:20:45 PM
I would take a look at pawn shops , with this down turn I bet there are a lot of people selling .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I said the same thing. There will be lots of new unfired guns on the market soon.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Meatseeker

Quote from: WV Flopper on April 17, 2020, 10:44:45 PM
My two cents... The M2 that my son has, I bought, is not versatile. If you want to hunt with it, you need to change the recoil spring out. If not, you will get the benillie click! When you do, you can't run low a low brass shell through it. It will jam. To me, the gun is not versatile, it's a 1500# one hit wonder. It is pretty to look at.

That's strange I own three different Benelli's  and I have shot thousands of rounds ranging from light target loads to the heaviest magnum turkey loads in varying shell lengths....  and I have never had it jam.  I have never changed out the factory recoil springs in any of them.  The only time I have seen a Benelli jam was when my buddy over lubricated his.  They run best with very light lube.

lunghit

Quote from: Meatseeker on April 18, 2020, 02:41:15 PM
Quote from: WV Flopper on April 17, 2020, 10:44:45 PM
My two cents... The M2 that my son has, I bought, is not versatile. If you want to hunt with it, you need to change the recoil spring out. If not, you will get the benillie click! When you do, you can't run low a low brass shell through it. It will jam. To me, the gun is not versatile, it's a 1500# one hit wonder. It is pretty to look at.

That's strange I own three different Benelli's  and I have shot thousands of rounds ranging from light target loads to the heaviest magnum turkey loads in varying shell lengths....  and I have never had it jam.  I have never changed out the factory recoil springs in any of them.  The only time I have seen a Benelli jam was when my buddy over lubricated his.  They run best with very light lube.

Never had one of my Benelli's jam either. No matter the load.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Turkeyman

I'd really like to buy a 20 ga. semi, and go the TSS route for turkey, but for me it has to meet three criteria: camouflaged, screw-in chokes, pistol grip. I see those in 12 ga. (having a pump and semi-auto) but not in 20 ga. I don't want to either have to spray one, nor purchase an aftermarket pistol grip, or both. Perhaps some manufacturer will step forth.

zelmo1

I will agree, the Benelli is the Cadillac here. I didn't see one mention for 5he stoeger 3020, I will give it a nod. I bought one for last season and loved it. I broke it down and polished every metal part, put a sumtoy choke and fastfire 2 on it and can't be happier. I even bought thev12 ga because I liked it so much. For the money, I can't beat this. All good info here, you can't go wrong. Good luck, Al Baker

msm210

Quote from: guesswho on April 17, 2020, 11:43:34 AM
I like my Weatherby SA459.   But before I bought something I would go and shoulder several different models.    You will find "your" gun that way.   Good luck.

Picked one up a new one this year in 20 gauge and an Indian Creek choke tube.  Shooting Federal TSS #9's throwing a great pattern at 40 yards.  Surprised the heck out of my friends shooting their 12 gauges and LB shells! 

Might give it a look!

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Looks I will be the odd man out. I went to a 20ga for a lighter and shorter gun. I run an 870 youth model and setting up an 11-87 compact 20ga now. I just don't see going to a 20ga then carrying a full length gun in the woods.

NCL

I decided to enter the 20 gauge area back in January,my criterion were camo, pistol grip, and a rail to move a red dot. After research decided on the Winchester Longbeard only to find out it was discontinued and no one seemed to have one available. A couple of weeks prior to the start of turkey season decided on the alternative a Weatherby SA-459 only to find they were sold out. Maybe it will happen for next year.

WALKER80

I have an affinity with a ff3 and like it but I will own a Mossberg sa20 before next season.  The weight is the same but the Mossberg feels better to me and the barrel is shorter.  I just couldn't make myself buy the Mossberg at the time I purchased the franchi for some reason.