OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Missouri non res tag raised by $34. Ouch

Started by Paulmyr, April 01, 2020, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

Was thinking about going to Alabama
Annual :$320.30
10 day: $ 197.85
3 day : $ 139.60

Paulmyr

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2020, 07:34:34 PM
Last year was the first year I got to hunt Missouri. Went to the Northwest part of the state. Good lord willing I will be back there on the 28th. My tags cost 190 last year. 224 is only 30 bucks more and is worth it to me.

You might want to check the batteries in your calculator ;)
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: nativeks on April 01, 2020, 08:01:54 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 01, 2020, 07:44:12 PM
MN nr is $96 and res tags are $26. Missouri nr $225 and res tag is $17. My point was if it were really about funding the conservation Dept a res tag might cast more than $17. Not sure but think that's what it cost back in the early 90s
Their conservation department is funded through a 1/8% sales tax and is one of the best funded in the country.
It's 1/8 of 1% of Sales tax. For every dollar in sales tax collected, the MDC gets 1/8 of one penny of that dollar collected. Doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up for sure. They are one of the best funded departments in the country, but top execs including retired directors were being paid handsomely. A misappropriation of tax money for sure.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 01, 2020, 07:34:34 PM
Last year was the first year I got to hunt Missouri. Went to the Northwest part of the state. Good lord willing I will be back there on the 28th. My tags cost 190 last year. 224 is only 30 bucks more and is worth it to me.
If I could spend more than maybe 2 weekends hunting there this year I might be able to justify it but not $225 for 4 days. Guess I'll have to try my luck in Wisconsin again this year. $190 just seemed a little more paletteable.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

dzsmith

I don't blame them from going up on there NR prices. Missouri was a go to place for a long time, lots of damage has been done there not to mention bad hatch after bad hatch. If you plan on going I don't see why a increase of 30 bucks would stop you.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Yoteduster

For the quality of hunt you can have in Missouri I think that is a fair price for 2 birds for now days imo

Paulmyr

Yup the hunting is good. I'll just be going to Wisconsin this year to get my fix. alot cheaper and alot closer.  2hr drive instead of 6.

Missouri hunter

If you have the money to hunt out of state I don't know if there is much to cry about. Some states are expensive, some aren't as bad. I don't think it's up to you how much us residents pay for our license.
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Wigsplitter

Missouri non- resident tags have now tripled since I began going in 1998 for a mere $75- didn't know how good a deal that was back then!!!

deadbuck

Ya'll don't forget that in Missouri you have to have a plug in your gun. I made a $155 donation for just that by a warden with a toupe'. Guess it didn't help I told him what I think about that law and their non migratory turkeys.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Missouri hunter on April 01, 2020, 10:04:12 PM
If you have the money to hunt out of state I don't know if there is much to cry about. Some states are expensive, some aren't as bad. I don't think it's up to you how much us residents pay for our license.
Blah, blah, blah.

RutnNStrutn

Could be worse. In SC this year the non-resident turkey tags went from free to $100, and they cut the bag limit FOR NON-RESIDENTS ONLY from 3 down to 2. Of course resident hunters, who greatly outnumber non-resident hunters, can still shoot 3 turkeys.
This was all done in the name of "protecting the turkey population". What a load of garbage!! If it was about protecting the turkey population, then ALL hunters would only be able to take 2 gobblers. It has NOTHING to do with protecting turkeys. It has to do with raising money for the state of SC, and discriminating against non-residents. If it wasn't for the time, money and effort I've put into my hunting property and camp, I'd find another state to hunt in.
This follows a new program 2 years ago that implemented a deer tag program that limited non-residents only to 4 bucks a year, cost non-residents an extra $110 a year, and doe tags went from $5 to $10, costing non-residents an additional $20 a year. Of course residents pay next to nothing, and can shoot more deer.
So now if you are a non-resident, and buy your 4 bucks tags, and 4 doe tags, and 2 turkey tags, in addition to your hunting license and big game permit, you're now on the hook for $435 to hunt deer and turkey. If you hunt waterfowl, bear, alligator, or on a WMA, the price keeps going up, up and up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DBuck90

Quote from: deadbuck on April 01, 2020, 10:10:55 PM
Ya'll don't forget that in Missouri you have to have a plug in your gun. I made a $155 donation for just that by a warden with a toupe'. Guess it didn't help I told him what I think about that law and their non migratory turkeys.
I guess being from MO and not knowing any difference I figured that was a law in every state If you can't kill em with 3 you might want to check your gun.

fallhnt

Quote from: DBuck90 on April 01, 2020, 10:58:53 PM
Quote from: deadbuck on April 01, 2020, 10:10:55 PM
I guess being from MO and not knowing any difference I figured that was a law in every state If you can't kill em with 3 you might want to check your gun.
Yup....that's all I've ever known too. Snow goose season being the exception.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gooserbat

I remember when it was $160 then $190 now $224.  It's steep but I live 18 miles from the state line so I'll pay it...howbeit begrudgingly.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.