turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First thing you learned about Turkeys

Started by Greg Massey, March 22, 2020, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

What's one of the first things you learned about turkeys ?  I learned they can make a grown man cry like a baby.

Sir-diealot

First thing I learned in the field is something I had already read not to do in a book and foolishly did anyway, the bird went silent and I looked over my left shoulder, we saw each other at the same time and he hightailed it out of there.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

tal

Durn things are skittish ain't they???

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Big Guy

Just like the real estate saying.   The 3 most important things about turkey hunting are location, location, location.   Know where they are and where they want to go.

paboxcall

Sometimes when he steps behind a tree he never steps out. Just literally disappear.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

owlhoot

That they can get out of the path of an arrow purty darn quick coming down at them. Was going to pin that old gobbler to the ground or so I thought. The recurve shot the arrow right where the bird was a split second ago darn it.

1iagobblergetter

I learned make sure your guns patterned or it doesn't matter if you call one in..
Also learning multiple calls and putting some feeling into your calling did help.

guesswho

I learned their ears are as good or better than their eyes.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Dtrkyman

I think I learned after the first gobble I would be obsessed the rest of my days!  This will be my 28th season and I think I am more obsessed than ever!

Paulmyr

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Spitten and drummen

I learned always to expect them to do things you dont expect them to do and that there is nothing set in stone on what they will or will not do.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Harty

Things have lazer vision. When my mentor said you can't move he darn well meant it. I sure boogered a lot of birds that first year by not sitting totally still.

R.W. Mackey

Patience, got to be #1, no telling how many times I walked away from a bird that had shut up for
15 min or so, go a few hundred yards, call again and he gobbles right were you just left!!!
  My most memorable hunt to this day took place in southern Alabama on public land, many years ago.
Fired one up on the roost, moved in and set up just over a Ridge from him, started calling at daylight
two hrs later he is still in the tree waiting for that hen to come to him. After trying every call I had I decided to take a box, cutt like crazy with some long raspy come find me yelps. Put the call down and shut up, bout 20 min later he gobbled once, another 10 min he gobbled again, a few min later he started
Cranking it up, at 50 min I heard him fly down, 3 min later I heard him drumming a few more and I see
His fan topping the Ridge. Took him at 20 yards almost an hour after I shut up and over 3 hrs since I set up.
  Yep, got to be patience for me.
RW
Lone Star Gamecalls
We Talk the Talk

Tom007

Patience is your best call, set up is everything, calling is less than 10%, and if they could smell, we would never see them. :OGani: