turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First thing you learned about Turkeys

Started by Greg Massey, March 22, 2020, 04:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

That you have to load the shotgun if you want to kill one.  Don't ask.  :'( :'( :'( :'(
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

GobbleNut

The very first thing I learned was that if you have one answer your call from 75 yards away, jumping up and running towards them thinking you can shoot them before they can get away is not a good strategy.... :)

ManfromGreenSwamp

First thing I learned was nothing can compare to hunting birds in spring on the ground in their turf, not another animal, season, etc.

It's also a wonderful time to be up in the outdoors watching the real world wake up with each sunrise.

Much like muzzleloader, I started it to just be in the woods an extra time...today, turkey hunting is what I'm most loyal to and passionate about.

All good points above!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"First one to the carcass gets the most"
-T.Farley

"I'm livin ta rest, I was born tired"
-B.Button

dublelung

The first thing I learned is they can see you blink and hear your heart beat from a very long distance.

hotspur

DO NOT RUN OUT THERE AND GRAB    an OLD GOBBLER BY THE LEGS WHILE HES STILL KICKING

Tom007

Yup, double can opener spinning like a circular saw...... :turkey2:

eggshell

Fallhnt - I agree, the bust of the flock thing is not a good strategy.

Hotspur - Yes indeed, a lacerated palm taught me this lesson very early as well. I would add grabbing at a flopping bird will only get you started plucking the bird. If you want him looking nice and pretty for a mount get him by the neck and then hold him up. If his head is down let him flop out if your not mounting.
need

Here's a tip I don't think I've seen listed. If he is in close, but you haven't got a shot yet and he turns his back to you flips his wings and starts to leave. Raise up, move or do whatever you need to get a clean shot (using good reason of course, I'm not saying rush him), because the gig is up he's leaving and most likely won't be back.

derek

Tough to think what the first thing I "truly" learned was.  I was preached over and over again.. that turkeys have incredible eye sight and hearing.  It was beat into my head by my father.  The morning of my first turkey hunt, birds were gobbling everywhere.  We set up on a powerline with a small strip of trees with some gaps and then a hard surfaced road - the closest group of birds was in the woods on the other side of the road (property line).  My dad put on a show for me and called 3 gorgeous longbeards up to that road.. they stood there forever strutting before working their way across the strip of trees and into the powerline.. they danced and strutted 20 yards away from me.. Dad was 15 yards or so behind me calling.  I froze.  Trying so hard not to blink, or twitch, I let those 3 strutting longbeards spit and drum their way down the powerline and that was it. 

I think the only thing I learned in that moment... was "This is awesome!"
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

bigriverbum

first thing i learned about turkeys was i could draw one somewhat accurately by tracing my hand and outspread fingers

strum

first thing I leaned . But was already warned .  If he answers and is coming in stop calling.
First one i ever called was coming wide open so I just got more aggressive on my box. He said
"Excuse me sir. Would you mind placing your call on the ground and allow me to sneak in in peace?" NOT

NCL

First thing I learned was if there is a mistake to be made I will make it. Over the years thought all mistakes have been made and then create a new one

redjones

First thing I learned,Turkeys can cover a lot of ground quick, and after you call to them they know your location better than any gps could.

Greg
Semper Fi

Turkeyman

When you've taken several birds, and think you've got them pretty well figured out, they'll remind you that you don't!

Duckiller

Sixes

First thing for me was to learn to never think "this is what they will do or where they will go"

I've since learned to just do whatever seems right at a given time