OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth hunt dirtbag

Started by g8rvet, March 15, 2020, 07:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Some scum bag from Bay County Florida drove over to Leon County.  My brother and his grandson are parked on a dead end road in a 500,000 acre forest.  It ends in a river swamp.  The guy pulls up and says he is going to the end.  My brother tells him that is where he is headed (like a half mile at most) but he does not drive all the way because he could drive by birds.   The scum bag says he   hunted there yesterday and is not going to argue and drives right on by. 

If you read this, you are trash and are very lucky there was a young boy with my brother.  Way to teach a kid ethics .  On public land if someone beats you to the spot, go find another.  This is a massive tract of land. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

People are dirt

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

1iagobblergetter

Ya. It seems like every man is for himself at times,but then once in awhile someone will surprise you.
500,000 acres though I wouldn't have let it deter me. I would think you could find another good spot in there and should have enough hunting for 2 guys... ;D

guesswho

I hate that happened and have had it happen to me.   I don't know the situation where your brother was at but in some cases I see both sides.  Not talking about your brother but how much public area can one claim by being first.  Some places are obvious where you plan on hunting, others may have access to a couple thousand acres behind a parking spot.  In situations like that I think a little more detailed conversation about where one plans to hunt is in order.  Sometimes there's room for multiple hunters behind a parking spot or walk in area.  The joys of public land. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

wvmntnhick

Public land. Just the way it goes. No sense getting bent out of shape. Belongs to everyone and they'll hunt is as they see fit. Been there before. Guys come walking right up on you with little regard. Just the way it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rifleman

I have hunted NF in VA and arrived first at a gate leading into the area.  I have been out of my truck getting gun and gear when on more than one occasion a hunter drives up, jumps out and flies around the gate.  You'd think they would come over and at least ask where I intended to go beyond the gate. I began going earlier and getting into the mt. well before daylight.  I don't run in on guys.  If another hunter beats me to an area, I just go somewhere else that I know about nearby.  Ethics/respect is missing in most people today, IMO. 

Bowguy

I'm sorry for the negativity your family went through. Very aggravating. Consideration for others is the thing parents need to teach kids. Everyone says talking is the most important thing in life. It's not, it's consideration. Without it you're only mouthing words.
Now the bs of such idiots shows complete lack of class. The second I even read your header I was already angry for you. New folks heed those words and live by em. If you are not there first, GO ELSEWHERE!! Reread that if you must cause sometimes folks just don't know but e consideration it'd be pretty obvious what to do.
Years back I had scouted the local refuge and locates some pretty consistent birds. Opening morn my daughters n I arrive, gear up and start walking in. Another truck pulls up w some chubby spoiled, selfish looking kid in the passenger seat. Idk he just looked that way. They pull in. I approach the truck as the guy starts getting ready. I mention where I'm going and it's maybe 70 acre finger surrounded by private land. The guy asks how far I'm going in??
What?!!!!!!!!!!
Anyhow I explain it's not big enough for two set ups and I was here first. He says well he doesn't know where else to go. That's his problem and I explain I really don't wanna get in a calling contest w him. I'll tell him where I'd go if not here and where I'm gonna head to if he tries walking in on me. I let him know I'd never do that to him though.
He grudgingly takes the place I send him and that morning my older daughter kills a bird.

Last year I had my buddy's daughter, 10 years old. The night before I had visually watched some gobblers I saw daily from my kitchen window cross some farm fields n head towards their every night it seems roost by this sycamore tree.
As they neared it I drove home cause I could see them through binoculars from my porch. Suddenly a truck pulls near them pointing.
I drive down n let the fellows know I'll be there in the am. The other guy says well he has permission too and he's also trying to get his friends kid a bird.
It's club property. I inform him I'm a paying member, that should matter and he prob won't beat me. He gets enraged n says he'll go down n bust em. My eyebrows raise. He leaves. Apparently he didn't do anything. The kid missed  a boss bird twice the next morning.
Yesterday I saw the farmer, mentioned what happened last year. He said the guy only had deer hunt permission. He wasn't supposed to be there turkey season. Forgot to mention the farmer was my landlord too.
Robbing kids from memories so their spoiled, selfish kids can make their own is poor parenting imo. Doing it for yourself as an adult is classless

Bowguy

To make matters worse a fellow on here was supposed to call initially for the kid by my old house. The kids dad decides he's hunting by me and my friend informs him I was planning on hunting there and he won't go there too. It's not right.
Dad says ok we're not gonna go on account of rain anyhow.  This is a week before the hunt. He was going by supposed forecast.
What the guy did was get someone else to try calling for him in the spot he knew I was going than argue w me about it. How dirty is that and what is this moron teaching his kid.

LaLongbeard

Typical public land dirtbag. The part I don't understand, what did having the young boy in the truck have too do with your brother doing nothing?If the kid is old enough to kill a turkey he's old enough to watch a A$$ whooping....regardless of which side won. I always laugh when someone says "IF" I didn't (fill in the blank with excuse) I'd do such and such. If the situation requires action does it matter who's with you , what your wearing, were your going , or what time it is lol.

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Caspar

At least your brother wasnt in the middle of working a bird. About 10 years  ago i was sitting in my blind on the edge of a field with my 13 year old niece trying to get her a bird. We were facing the field waiting for the birds to come out into it but they started looping around behind us towards a different field on posted property. We turned around and got setup and started working the birds in when i hear hen noises behind me. I peak out the window and here comes another hunter calling and sneaking down the finger row of trees right past us. Obviously he could here me calling and the birds gobbling and he knew i was in there but completely ignored me. He walked right past the blind and went down in the woods and sat down about 60 yards in front of my blind and started calling as if i wasnt even there

Brian Fahs

I hunt primarily public mountain ground in a couple states in the northeast.

Parking first at a gate or popular pull off means nothing to most guys I encounter. I learned a long time ago to be in the woods set up stupid early. Even then I fully expect to be encroached upon once it gets to gobbling time. Going deep only seems to make it worse.

I have come up with creative ways to kill highly pressured birds in the areas I hunt. All involve a lot of time in the woods.

M,Yingling

I see where your comimg from   But if he parked a half mile from the end of public road and planed hunt their I think I would have driven to the end and got out , not park 1/2 mile and try deter any one else driving down said road ,,  unless iam reading that wrong
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

owlhoot

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 15, 2020, 12:33:54 PM
I see where your comimg from   But if he parked a half mile from the end of public road and planed hunt their I think I would have driven to the end and got out , not park 1/2 mile and try deter any one else driving down said road ,,  unless iam reading that wrong
Kinda wondering the same thing . Also how far back from the road the area goes?

zelmo1

Have a backup plan and teach your kids the right way. It sux that it happened, but we are always going to have scumbags around. Taking the high road isn't easy, but your brothers grandson will see the right way to treat people. I wish them luck. Al Baker

g8rvet

I posted that this AM when I was pissed at the scum. 

There are 10 roads along this highway that all dead end in a river swamp (maybe more).  It is a huge area-probably 15+ miles of huntable swamp.  The area at the top of this side road is very thick and not really huntable at first.  There is probably 100 acres in there that can be realistically hunted, some is surrounded by private.  It is too small for 2 groups to hunt.  Or you can drive a 1/2 mile down the main road to the next pull off and hunt the next area.  Some of the side roads have plenty of room for multiple groups, but this one does not and the guy knew it.  Anyone that has been there before knows exactly what they are doing if they drive past a truck at this spot (and he said he was there the day before).  There is only one small stretch of swamp you can hunt there. 

We did have a backup plan (probably 5 really, it is public after all) and I was the main backup plan.  I did hear a bird gobble and knew exactly where he was, so I called my bro and great nephew and they came around.  We raced down and started calling to him, he answered once.  Soon enough a boat came down the river and stopped.  We then heard him calling to the bird as well.  He had no idea we were there and we called for a while, but the bird shut up, they may have spooked him.  So we left after calling a hen up to us and tried several other spots - got no love at any of those, but found plenty of sign.  This is one youth that is not limited to youth weekend, because both me and my bro would much rather call one in for him than ourselves.  He had a blast, heard another bird across the river answer our calls too.   He enjoyed himself and we did not let him know what we thought of the other guy and all was well with him which is the real object of the hunt for us.

Good luck to everyone.  I still hope the kid kills one but I hope the guy never hears another turkey ever.   :toothy9:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.