OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Youth hunt dirtbag

Started by g8rvet, March 15, 2020, 07:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 15, 2020, 12:33:54 PM
I see where your comimg from   But if he parked a half mile from the end of public road and planed hunt their I think I would have driven to the end and got out , not park 1/2 mile and try deter any one else driving down said road ,,  unless iam reading that wrong
I agree with Mike , 500,000 ac. i think , there was plenty of room for you both. Turkeys move around during the morning feeding and do what turkeys do.  I've killed more birds mid-morning after most people have already left , because they don't bring any snacks or water with them hunting and get hungry and want that sausage or ham biscuit form the local diner or drive - Thru.. LOL...

g8rvet

I could see why you would think that but this road dead ends in to the river swamp.  There was plenty of room for him to go elsewhere.    He knew what he was doing. I hope he sees this post but I doubt he would be a member here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

longbeards

To bad for a young hunter to have to experience such! BUT, public land in Florida has more idiots on it then anywhere I have ever been!!

Spitten and drummen

Sad but the times we live in now. Most everyone who hunts or has hunted public has had something similar happen to them. I too have had guys pull up behind me and exit the truck at a trot passing me. I miss the days that only a handful of people would battle heat , snakes and mesquitos to chase these crazy birds. Use to have alot of public land to roam and seeing someone else was rare. Turkey hunting is cool now. Back to the topic , hunting brings out the worse and shows a persons true colors.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tom007

Ugly Americans. I have seen this too. You did all the work, they want to reap the harvest. I honor someone that is ahead of me at a spot. I always put myself in their shoes and think that if they beat me there, I will yield to them till another day. Just my way of handling adversity. I am an old Hockey Player. Been through the worst Turkey hunting is my Shangrila. Be safe my friends......
"Solo hunter"

g8rvet

We have all had it happen and everyone has those stories, but I would say 98% of my encounters with others are much more positive (turkey hunting).  Not so with duck hunting though. Probably only 85% with that.  A big part of that is I know a ton of folks in the three counties that surround me and if we don't know each other, we probably know someone that knows each other. 

Like Raylon Givens said, "If you run into an a hole in the mornin, ya ran into an a hole.  If you run into a holes all day, you're the a hole".  Lot of truth to that too. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

MK M GOBL

It's not only public land... I have access to a number of local farms and have kids out for youth season every year.

Talk about a dirt bag and no right to be there (truck parked), end of story we did a Run & Gun on a bird I spotted and the boy killed his turkey, dad was along to witness and a first for both!

MK M GOBL

Elmerfudd

Had trouble many years ago on public land in FL. Won't name the lake. We arrived and beached our whaler on a very narrow strip we had put birds to bed on the night before. Only room for a couple hunters. We were getting our stuff to hike in and set up when three major a holes showed up in an airboat. I could smell the booze at 5:00 am.  Crazy loud etc etc. roared up on the beach with that abomination right next to us. We said hey guys cmon. We are ready to go and we're here first. They launched expletives about how it's "their spot" and we could go away or they'd sort the two of us out. So we did.. I let them get away from us and told my buddy to just chill a few minutes. We left to go hunt other land we were intending to rest that weekend.

I guess I should add that I pulled their bilge plug and took their plug wires. Stashed them in a cypress root. They'd find them if they looked hard enough and the channel is heavily travelled. Now If I'd had a youth with me I'd have turned it into a teaching moment and just left, but since it was just old Wayne and me well I just couldn't resist. We were laughing so hard we were like two bad kids in church waitin for momma to smack us. God wasn't too mad at  me apparently. I killed my first two Osceola that week.

Dtrkyman

I hunt public a fair amount, have yet to have an issue with anyone. Last guys I walked in on way back in the timber in Missouri were really friendly and we had a nice chat before going our separate ways. 

I had come up on them coming around a curve in a fire road, they were set up already, They gave me a whistle so I knew they were there and waved me over, I apologized and they said no problem.  We had come in from opposite sides of the road and had no idea anyone else was there.

A little manners goes a long way!

tomstopper

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 15, 2020, 09:16:58 PM
It's not only public land... I have access to a number of local farms and have kids out for youth season every year.

Talk about a dirt bag and no right to be there (truck parked), end of story we did a Run & Gun on a bird I spotted and the boy killed his turkey, dad was along to witness and a first for both!

MK M GOBL
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

GobbleNut

As others have already stated, there are differing ways at looking at this situation depending on each party's interpretation of the circumstances.  The relevant points have already been made.

Here's a dilemma I will be facing in a couple of more weeks.  I will be going to a public area in another state that I have never hunted before.  It is a relatively small area with limited access points.  It is also the only public area in a pretty large chunk of country. 

From those access points, there are only a couple of different directions a person can go to from each.  I fully anticipate I may run into a situation where I arrive at any of the access points and find a vehicle or two parked there. Hopefully, I will arrive in time to speak to the other hunter(s) and coordinate such that we will not interfere with each other,...but there is the real possibility I will not have a clue as to where the other folks might be.

My choices are going to be,... a) not hunt because other folks are there,...b) try to find a niche where I can hunt with minimal impact on any other hunter in the area.  I will be driving ten hours to go hunt there.  Guess which option I am going to choose?

If I encounter those circumstances, I AM going to go turkey hunting,...but I will do my level best to not interfere with any other hunter that might be in same area.  Sometimes that is the best that a guy can do....

Hobbes

If there isn't more to the story, I'm not getting the dirt bag description.  It sounds like your buddy parked a half mile from the end of a dead end access road on 500,000 acres of public land and felt at that point he had some sort of claim on the next half mile.  Maybe I'm missing something.  If the end of that road is a typical jumping off point, there is no way folks are going to not drive past him.  I would immediately assume that he's hunting a bird closer to his truck, not claiming rights to everything past that.

Pluffmud

Ahhh, public land. Everyone does what is right in his own eyes. Me personally, if I had rolled up and talked to you and we discovered we were both going to the same spot, I wouldve gone somewhere else. I'm also not gonna pretend that I haven't done some things that I would've done differently looking back on public land either. That being said, most experiences I've had with other hunters on public have been positive. You're always gonna have some negative ones. If you're gonna hunt public land, that's just how it's gonna be, because people aren't going to change. Shake it off and press on!
Psalm 46:10

camotoe

Had a spot a couple years ago where the guy put a sign up the day before the quota hunt that he was hunting down this road do not come down it .. I was not hunting that area but I thought it was pretty brazen .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elmerfudd

For me just being polite has worked fine with very limited exceptions. But those exceptions have been ugly and could have deteriorated. Only place I've had issues was in Florida and here in WV. 

I have walked in on people and had them walk in on me. Usually ends amicably. Manners count a lot.