OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gooserbat I'm a dummy Giveaway... WINNER

Started by Gooserbat, March 10, 2020, 01:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a_jabbo

Told my brother in law he was the shooter. Bird came in and I got too excited and shot before he did.

dzsmith

Got to the woods late one morning like 730. I was about 1/4 mile from a gas line parked on the side of a gravel road. 2 birds were blowing it up. I went a couple hundred yards , stopped to cut on a diaphragm to try and get a gobble to guage my setup. They gobbled so I walked further to where I could see the sunlight from the gasline in the distance. I set up , made one sequence on my slate. And here one of them came. He stepped from the gas line into the tree line of the woods I was in. He strutted for about 1 minute and began his death march. I had a decoy setup which was originally in front of me, but when I initially set up the sun was in my eyes so I moved offset of the decoy into the shadows about 7 or 8 yards further. When he got to about the 40 yard mark, I could have shot him, but it was so obvious he was coming into the decoy that I figured why shoot him, let him do his thing. This happened to be a stud bird , had many pictures of him. Well he came and when he got about 10 yards from my decoy which made him probably 30 yards from me, he followed the natural lay of the land. The other side of my decoy was a slight decend of a hill side. All I could see was the tip of his fan at this point. He stutted within 5 yards of my decoy for 30 minutes, and there was nothing I could about it. I clucked at him a few times and when he would stick his head up there was always one little sapling in the way and had his head not been read you wouldn't have known it because only about 1/5 of his head was sticking up. Had I shot , most of my shot would have been in the dirt, this was also in the lead days...no tss. Anyway......I probaby could have simply timed it right and stood up and fired...but I was semi amateur at the time. I never killed that bird. I managed to call him into my setup once a season in the same area the next 2 years until he got ancient and became an absolute recleuse. He haunts me to this day. Im not as conservative with letting them make it to my decoy setup now days...
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

squidd

Grabbing a turkey by the tail feathers as he was still flopping - ended up with a handful of feathers

tomno3

Fell asleep, woke up to 3 right in front of me.

Cottonmouth

Messed with a hung up bird for a couple of hours. Decided to move and he was 35 yds to my left when I stood up.

OldSwamper

Paddled across river in creek boat and waited for bird to give himself away at first light.  When he gobbled, I reached for my mouth call to begin easing in the woods.  Mouth calls still in truck......
Paddled back across to get them, did not kill bird, he went other way

JL_Longbeard

Shot a damn fine strutter in WV in 2013 and he decided to roll down the mountain. Well, during recovery of said bird, I slipped and fell and broke both bones in my right leg & completely dislocated my ankle... Thank god my dad was with me, we were 2 miles from the truck. Thanks Walkersville VFD for the backboard ride out. AND we got a warning from the game warden for parking in the rifle range parking lot.... apparently that's a no no. Lots of lessons learned that day. Oh, and my wife was 5 months pregnant.

310 gauge

WOW ! JL_Longbeard that's  a tough one to follow!   After deer dogs were turned loose in the block of woods we were hunting, my son and I had to settle with plan B. Being late to our secondary spot I made the rookie mistake of hitting a hen yelp before having a good "hide".  You guessed it...two shooters answered and I boogered them while adjusting my sitting arrangement inside of 15 yds. First chance at a double for my son and me on opening day.....putt...putt...putt...

cracker4112

I was in KS a couple years ago and on the last day of the hunt I was trying to fill my final tag and I had 3 gobblers come in fast and from a direction I wasn't expecting.  The birds came down a small path that was fenced on either side.  I was in the block of woods and they were very close.  The first 2 birds came by so fast that they were past the position for me to shoot either of them without contortions. I clucked to make the 3rd one stop and when he did, I promptly shot the closest fence post that somehow I didn't see. I'm still not sure how I did it and will remember those three sailing away forever.

captpete

About my 2nd year of hunting turkeys I was hunting our late season. I was sitting on the edge of a 10 acre cornfield surrounded by timber. I called in a nice Tom and shot him at about 25 yards. As he laid there flopping I stood up and started walking towards him. When I was about 5 yards from my tree & gun(left the gun leaning against the tree), the bird stood up and took off running to the timber. I got to my gun and was able to get off one Hail Mary shot before he got to the timber. I search for about hour and never did find that bird. 

ejhandler

Moving to reset on a gobbling bird and my phone slipped out of my pocket, spent the next hour looking through the understory until I found it.

eggshell

Ok I see all the post about forgetting toilet paper...hey that's why God made leaves. Just don't use the poison ones.

Also, don't ever think, "I'll take a quick dump before I set up on this gobbler", then prop your gun up against a tree and walk off 30 yards to poop. I assure you he will come your way right in the middle of your job, and that he'll wait dead still at 20 yards  until you've crawled all the way back to your gun with your pants pulled half way up and a dirty butt  before he putts and runs away.

etapia

As a kid hunting with my dad we had a tom coming in hot and fast. My dad was worried I'd chamber a shell on his pump shotgun too loud so he grabbed it from me, chambered it as slow/quiet as possible, and handed it back. The tom came in, I pulled the trigger and... nothing. I did this again and again (with my dad whispering "Shoot! "Why aren't you shooting?!" "Hurry" the entire time). The tom walked off without a shot. Turns out dad didn't close the action all the way and it costed me my first turkey. Thanks dad!

sixbird

Quote from: Nathan_Wiles on March 10, 2020, 08:08:40 AM
Had the perfect set up on two gobbling birds that I had roasted the night before. I slid in and set up in the dark, they played right along. Daylight came birds pitched down in front of me to a few soft clucks.Thier heads crossed up in front of me at 15 steps or so and I squeezed off the shot...to loudest empty chamber hammer strike I ever heard in my life. I had not loaded the H&R Single Shot, I had not even brought shells in my vest.
I had brought my 5 year old daughter with me to see what was sure to be an awesome show and it was. I walked back to the truck and daughter held my hand telling me "It'll be alright Daddy, we'll get em next time. I'll help you remember to load your gun".
She is 25 now and doesn't tag along anymore but she still reminds me to load my gun before every season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Now that's some funny stuff and sweet at the same time...
Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clif Owen

I'm a dummy...nuff said about that. Too many stories to tell. Most don't involve turkeys though.