OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey hunting myth? fact or fiction ?

Started by hotspur, March 09, 2020, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

owlhoot

Mbhyman88

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 09, 2020, 07:31:19 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 09, 2020, 07:12:12 PM
Can't call a turkey uphill. Can't call a gobbler across a creek. Both have merritt but are simply not always  true.

i've always heard the opposite. "can't call a bird downhill"

where i live you're either going uphill or down.  i've killed one bird coming down hill in my life. maybe these sayings actually dictate how we choose to hunt? lol i was taught to stay above the bird, hence i killed most birds as they came uphill

I'm with you on this one,  always heard you can't call one downhill.  If he has the high vantage point, he's gonna wait on the hen to show herself.

Marc

I don't know whether they can hear you blinking, or see you blinking...

I have had jakes walk up very close to me, obviously concentrating on my eyes though (while I was holding very still).  Never have let a tom get close enough for such an inspection.

I do know that they can hear talking and whispering...  It might not scare them most times, but no doubt they can hear it...  And I have little doubt that there have been birds coming in that heard talking or whispering that never showed for the hunters having that conversation.  I tend to hunt silently...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

turkey_picker

I've seen turkeys called down hill, up hill, cross beaver dams, fly across creeks, come through thickets and across wide open fields. Point being, they will go where they want, when they want at their own pace.

Tail Feathers

To quote one of our own wise sages, "Turkeys always follow their beak".
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: gergg on March 09, 2020, 07:16:04 PM
If a turkey could smell like a deer, we would never kill one.
I'd pretty much agree with that one.. :icon_thumright:

GobbleNut

Them tarkeys cain't larn nuthin' with thet thar little pee-brane of thar's...

bigriverbum

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2020, 12:33:36 AM
Them tarkeys cain't larn nuthin' with thet thar little pee-brane of thar's...

and they drown if they look up in the rain donchta know? 

tha bugman

Quote from: Marc on March 09, 2020, 10:47:53 PM
I don't know whether they can hear you blinking, or see you blinking...

I have had jakes walk up very close to me, obviously concentrating on my eyes though (while I was holding very still).  Never have let a tom get close enough for such an inspection.

I do know that they can hear talking and whispering...  It might not scare them most times, but no doubt they can hear it...  And I have little doubt that there have been birds coming in that heard talking or whispering that never showed for the hunters having that conversation.  I tend to hunt silently...
I had one coming in on a string and I didn't move a muscle but cut my eyes left cause I wanted to watch him walk in.  When I did he immediately stopped ran that neck up adjusted those wings turned around and walked right back the way he came.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hotspur

THattaway

I raised some as a kid and have hunted them all my life. They are concerned with two things mainly, eating and procreating and will peck your eyes out over either. They don't reason, they react. They get conditioned for response. Once you learn that you can pretty much have your way with them.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

GobbleNut

"If'n you cain't call 'em all in an kill 'em, it is cuz you ain't as guud at it as I am"....

THattaway

"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

LaLongbeard

Top 10  Louisiana myths. ( more of a top 10 techniques than myths)
1. Remove your muffler before season because turkeys can't hear trucks.
2. Door slamming and talking loudly to your buddy has no effect on Gobbling turkeys.
3. Any trail no matter how narrow or the fact that it is off limits to vehicles, should be driven down as far as you can get, because walking is bad for your health.
4.When you get to the end of the trail(see #3) throw all your garbage out on both sides of the trail. Household garbage, appliances(stoves,refrigerators etc.) and any beer cans or candy wrappers  that has accumulated on the floorboard. Because Gobblers are attracted to garbage.
5. Do not for any reason wake up early or even try to get to your hunting area before daylight. It is much better to wait until Gobbling time and then drive your beat up truck( see muffler modification recommendation #1) 60 miles an hour down dirt roads slinging gravel. Drive up and down every road or trail drive right up to anyone you see or any parked vehicle. Then back up turn around and repeat until you have shut every gobbler in the area completely up.
6. Squawk on your box call as loud and fast as possible for as long as you can, while breathing from your mouth (the breathing technique is important) all real Turkey hunters are mouth breathers, your grandpa said so.
7. When by some accident you hear a Gobbler immediately start in his direction blowing a crow call as loud as possible while you stumble in his direction. Do not stop calling even after the Gobbler shuts up keep at it. When you think your close to were he was Gobbling just keep circling the area alternating blowing on the crow call and squawking on the box call.
8. Best  time to use a crow call is in the black dark as early as possible preferably an hour before daylight. Best time to owl hoot is 2pm on sunny days.
9. When you hear another hunter calling to a Gobbler, go help him call! You've probably already met him during the #5 technique and he'll be glad to see you again. Just stomp as loud as possible toward the Gobbler using the proven crow/box call combo.
10. Start your season on your deer lease. After the second day of the season and you have completely shut every turkey on your lease down or ran him off the property, head directly to the nearest public land, after 8am of course. Spend as much time as you can meeting the other hunters and seeing if they are having any luck. Complain about the lack of turkeys and how much better it was in 1975, even though you started turkey hunting 3 years ago. About April 15 drive to Texas and pay to hunt over a deer feeder... kill two turkeys. Then post 100 pictures on Facebook so everyone will know you still got it!
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?