OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

turkey hunting myth? fact or fiction ?

Started by hotspur, March 09, 2020, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotspur

I assume we've all read about old timers saying a turkey can see your eyes , I remember an very successful older turkey hunter saying an old gobbler can spot a man sitting at a tree, thinking we all should be wearing lighter camo. How do you more experienced turkey slayers feel about it ? What other  myths , facts or legends have you heard of? I mean what he said was an old gobbler looks at the base of trees for hunters

Tail Feathers

Turkeys cannot see through trees as some have reported.
They can, however, see around trees so you better be still.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

tal

Old Timer's sayings... 1) A turkey can spot a tick crawling up the bark of a tree at 200 yards. 2) Making one putt a turkey knows the tree you're sitting under at 200 yards.

SinGin

A deer thinks every hunter is a tree, but a turkey thinks every tree is a hunter.

THattaway

Best thing you can do is sit still and only move when you can get away with it. I'm sure I've had plenty take notice of my eyes blinking when they get close, may not spook but body language tells me they have taken notice and keep a safe distance away. A turkey that's been sprayed and run at and lived can get pretty darn sharp. I suspect that's what was meant. I call them devil turkeys. The kind that goes to putting the instant he comes into sight no matter how well hid you are, decoys or no, and always seem to know what's going on. If you've ever hunted one then you know what I am talking about. Thank the Good LORD there ain't many of them.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Bowguy

I don't believe none of it. Or maybe I do but allow me to explain. I believe if turkey are real pressured they get slicker. Ok that being said my older daughter hates covering her face. She uses any excuse to uncover it. Her face, neck, blonde hair and whatever hooded shirt she's wearing showing. Never once seen a bird blow coming in with her completely sitting like that. Hair blowing in the wind, face, neck, eyes exposed.  I was amazed what her doing so taught me. I'd not recommend this but I've kee kee by mouth whistle birds in twice wearing a red wool rich jacket. Those flocks didn't spook either.
Now how bout this one. The state was doing trap/ transfer a biologist told me. The cannon net had an extension cord going to it. When the birds saw that cord they totally freaked. He said after that they had to be real careful to cover cord.

Greg Massey

Turkeys can swim as good as they can fly ...

Ihuntoldschool

#1 Myth, "That turkey is call shy"  .  LMAO. 

guesswho

That's a 4 year old, I can tell by his gobble.  (???)

A turkey can hear what your thinking.

Patience kills turkeys.  (My opinion, for every one it kills, 3 or 4 get to live another day).
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spitten and drummen

Can't call a turkey uphill. Can't call a gobbler across a creek. Both have merritt but are simply not always  true.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

gergg

If a turkey could smell like a deer, we would never kill one.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Dtrkyman

That's a 25lbr, I have never looked at a turkey and could tell how big he was, but hear someone tell me every year they saw a huge bird.

As far as turkeys seeing you, be still, play the shadows and they will see you a lot less, have had birds pick me off for no apparent reason and have had birds seem blind and dumb at the same time!

bigriverbum

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 09, 2020, 07:12:12 PM
Can't call a turkey uphill. Can't call a gobbler across a creek. Both have merritt but are simply not always  true.

i've always heard the opposite. "can't call a bird downhill"

where i live you're either going uphill or down.  i've killed one bird coming down hill in my life. maybe these sayings actually dictate how we choose to hunt? lol i was taught to stay above the bird, hence i killed most birds as they came uphill

MK M GOBL

"Turkeys going to do what a turkeys going to do." Was the first saying I ever heard... As the guy explained learn what a turkey does.

As far as I have seen, it's motion more than anything that will get you busted. Couple of years ago I was out taking down a blind after season ended, drove my quad in right to it, parked and started on it, next thing I hear is a gobble, I kept working and another gobble and he's closer, I finally am packing blind in bag and next thing is I have that tom walking within yards of me just in the timber. I froze and he went right on by and still gobbling as he went. I was wearing some jeans and a shirt, no camo and he never spooked.

MK M GOBL

Tom007

A smart old Tom can see an Optic lense at 100 yards...... :turkey2: