turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Just Solved the Turkey Chair Problem.

Started by StruttinGobbler3, March 07, 2020, 02:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

Just got mine in today. It's noticeably lighter than the lounger chairs I've used in the past. Going to throw backpack straps on it and I doubt I'll even know it's there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Dermott

Quote from: howl on March 09, 2020, 10:41:48 PM
Quote from: camotoe on March 09, 2020, 02:47:35 PM
They have them black and green on  at  R E I - 4.9 #

Sent Alps Outdoorz a message on fb asking if they plan to offer a turkey version of that one. Might just get one and rattle can it.
Glad you did!

Jrkimbrough

Thanks for the heads up!!

I'm really surprised these Outdoor companies aren't jumping on the train to offer a ultra light turkey chair!  These chairs have really caught on and they should obviously realize weight is always and issue with a turkey hunter

IMO spray paint should hold up fine for at least one season, may to touchup after the season.

wchadw

Quote from: antnye on March 07, 2020, 05:05:24 PM
:mycross:
Quote from: Ondavirg on March 07, 2020, 02:19:03 PM
I bought the alps Mountaineering low chair.  It's only a shade over 2 pounds.  You have to put it together though, but I leave it put together once I'm in the woods.  It's more comfortable than my gobbler chair, and not that difficult to carry around over my shoulder once it's put together.  I did cut the lower legs a little shorter to make it sit lower to the ground. It is blue, and regular clothing dye was ineffective in turning it black. Let me know how the spray paint holds up.

I've been using a helinox backpacking chair similar to this one for the last 4 years. 1.9 lbs you can't even tell your carrying it. I leash it to my vest with a heavy duty fly fishing net magnet. No need for a strap.
I ordered one like this to try. Wasn't cheap but we will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy hooker

To those of you who order this,,,when you receive it id like to hear your first impressions on how durable it looks aluminum legs will be nice and light but will they bend under strain

StruttinGobbler3

Quote from: Happy hooker on June 07, 2020, 03:54:02 PM
To those of you who order this,,,when you receive it id like to hear your first impressions on how durable it looks aluminum legs will be nice and light but will they bend under strain
I bought this chair before my season. I rattlecanned it black and drab green. Carried it all season long and sat hours in it. It's built like a tank, even with aluminum. No problems whatsoever. Paint just needs a touch up before next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

wchadw

I got this one on eBay. It's discontinued but this one shipped from England or something. It's a helinox. Base doesn't look like it's going to sink. It's less than 2 pounds and I think it's going to fit in my bag.

perrytrails

I picked up a mountaineer chair. Been using it camping this year and other get togethers. It is pretty solid, may have a winner here. Thanks for recommending it!

Gotta get it painted

zelmo1

looks exactly like my wife's Primos wingman chair, except the wingman is camo.

paboxcall

You guys must hunt some awfully flat ground. Looks comfy though.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tail Feathers

I'm interested but it appears these don't fold up and must be disassembled.  Or do you just carry it put together like that?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

davisd9

I never even realized I had a turkey chair problem.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

wchadw

Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
I'm interested but it appears these don't fold up and must be disassembled.  Or do you just carry it put together like that?
The helinox fabric comes off and the base pops apart. It's held together with a bungee inside. You wrap fabric around base and it has a bag. Similar to modern tent poles

antnye

Quote from: wchadw on August 04, 2020, 08:56:01 PM
Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
The helinox fabric comes off and the base pops apart. It's held together with a bungee inside. You wrap fabric around base and it has a bag. Similar to modern tent poles

Another one to consider is tha Alite mayfly. I also have it and it's a decent chair. Not sure it may be discontinued As well.  Same weight and setup but doesn't have a square base.  Another pretty good chair option is the new millennium turkey chair.  I used it a bit last year. Coupled with a cushion it does well.  Although not as light as these backpacking chairs.

Turkeyman

Maybe it's just me but when it comes to turkey seats, chairs and such it just becomes another thing to carry. But I'm only a mere 75...maybe when I get older I'll require such comforts.